Outlaw 997 Announced - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 09-19-08, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Outlaw 997 Announced

Just saw this on the Outlaw Saloon:

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultim.../t/000001.html

I'll wait on the specs to be sure, but this looks like the pre/pro I have been waiting for.

Now to research this Trinnov stuff. Sounds like black-voodoo-magic, but hey if it works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-19-08, 02:49 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

Re: Outlaw 997 Announced

Wow $1300 got my attention. Looks like a good deal. I live 60 miles from Cedia and I can't go

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-19-08, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

I'm sure that's just an intro price, but count me in on the pre-order. I do wish more specs were published, though. I'd like to know HDMI counts, processing modes, etc.

For some reason this is exactly my price point -- I couldn't bring myself to spend the $1550 for the Onkyo 855 or $2k for the Marantz AV8003. But $1300, even missing a few features is a steal (and will match my amp )

post #4 of 18 Old 10-14-08, 09:44 AM
Hank
Inactive

They offer $200 off for 970 and 990 pre/pro owners, but what about us early customers that helped Outlaw Audio get off the ground? I bought a 950 pre/pro from them, taking a chance on a new company, and now I feel ignored. :-(
post #5 of 18 Old 10-14-08, 01:38 PM
Senior Shackster
Chris

Quote:
Hank wrote: View Post
They offer $200 off for 970 and 990 pre/pro owners, but what about us early customers that helped Outlaw Audio get off the ground? I bought a 950 pre/pro from them, taking a chance on a new company, and now I feel ignored. :-(
I suspect if you contacted them, they'd give you a deal.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-11-08, 02:00 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

I just checked the site to do some time killing and daydreaming in a slow patch at work, and saw the 997... it looks like a really nice unit. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/997.html

Anthony, if you haven't checked recently, 4 HDMI inputs and one out. And it supports 1.3. What was the verdict on Reon scaling up to 1080p... wasn't it second fiddle to another contender? I can't remember, I've been a bit out of the loop for a while. But to have a top notch scaler and HDMI video switching would be very nice.

E:...oops, apparently the Reon HQV is quite good. I'm not sure what's in the 997 though.

- OJ -

Last edited by Owen Bartley; 12-11-08 at 02:16 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-11-08, 03:18 PM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

Quote:
What was the verdict on Reon scaling up to 1080p... wasn't it second fiddle to another contender?
I don't know very much about the chips, but I thought that the Silicon Optix Realta HQV Video Processor was suppose to be THE chip.

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."
post #8 of 18 Old 12-13-08, 11:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

IN this day and age I really can't think of a single benefit a dedicated pre/pro would be able to offer over a quality receiver at the same price point (or much less), and the receiver comes with free amplification. Even if you wanted to use a dedicated beefy amplifier, you don't have to use the built in amplification of the receiver, or you could just let it power your surrounds.

All the latest cutting edge features and multiple inputs will always be found on receivers, and major brands like Yamaha, Sony, Onkyo, etc. have a LOT more engineers, a LOT more tools at their disposal, and a LOT more money to design new models. Perhaps there are still "believers" out there who feel that for some strange reason the circuity in a dedicated pre/pro will somehow make things sound better than that in a receiver? 'Tis not the case If anything, the receivers stand to have the advantage in sound quality - some of the esoteric companies are more prone to make.....'mistakes'.

post #9 of 18 Old 12-14-08, 07:36 AM
Shackster

Jim Liedeka

Steve,

I agree with what you said in theory. I ended up buying a Marantz receiver because the available pre/pros at the time lacked the features I want. The down side is you are stuck with the amplification that's in the box.

I'm in the process of building some speakers which are 4ohm. My receiver isn't rated for driving 4 ohm speakers. It may be fine or I may have to add an amplifier and demote the receiver to a pre/pro.

I agree that a well designed receiver should sound just as good as a pre/pro with amplifier.

Jim

Receiver: Marantz SR8002, Speakers: Paradigm Studio 20s (front) Studio 10s (surr) and CC-490, Sub: Hsu VTF-3 Mk3, TV: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Blu: Oppo BDP-93 TT: SOTA Sapphire (Sumiko Premier MMT arm, Grado Sonata cart) Other: Xbox 360
post #10 of 18 Old 12-14-08, 07:43 AM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

Well, we're talking about pretty minute differences in SQ, if any -- granted.

When it comes to engineering, though, I wouldn't simply assume that a bigger company means better engineering. Big and small companies both employ humans, which are prone to mistakes. Just because there are more of them doesn't necessarily mean better products (in fact, one might argue that it means more mistakes).

-- Otto