Home Theater Shack Fall 2015 DAC Evaluation Event Reporting and Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 38 Old 11-15-15, 11:51 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
Re: Home Theater Shack Fall 2015 DAC Evaluation Event Reporting and Discussion Thread

Some of us were able to positively identify two of the DACs in blind testing over a statistically significant number of trials. But wait, there's more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 11-16-15, 06:44 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Home Theater Shack Fall 2015 DAC Evaluation Event Reporting and Discussion Thread

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
But wait, there's more...

Well come on then!!!!

post #13 of 38 Old 11-16-15, 07:21 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Hint: It took us a while to learn what to listen for. Each panelist used their own songs. Had I not stumbled across a particular passage in one of mine, it would have been a toss-up for me. But once I did find *it* I picked out that difference over and over. Leonard was able to do the same, but we'll have to let him weigh in with his thoughts (and the data, of course). Wayne? He was also able to ID the same DACs with his own material after we explained to him how we were doing it. Another hint: we picked the two that had the biggest sighted differences for blind testing), Sonnie? He kept us on our toes!

post #14 of 38 Old 11-16-15, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I hope Leonard doesn't get mad at me for spilling the beans and answering early. Yes, there were differences noted during sighted testing, and there were statistically significant results in blind testing. That is all I will say for now.

What was fascinating to me was the question of how to listen. That made all the difference in the world, for me anyway.

There will also be some interesting discussion about our specific ABX test method.
post #15 of 38 Old 11-16-15, 08:57 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Yes Yes, how to listen. This is part of the education of listening seriously for differences or similarities in audio equipment. Like Lumen, I use very specific tracks, often with only a few players of which I am very familiar. Doing this allows me to more easily zoom in on differences, good or bad of the recordings that point to the piece of equipment being examined. Way to go gents. Im looking forward to your findings.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #16 of 38 Old 11-16-15, 01:08 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

I want to know what to listen for as much as the DAC test results.

So spill the beans on the secret sauce and edgeamacate me.
post #17 of 38 Old 11-17-15, 02:30 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

The following isn't so much a lesson in how to listen, as it is a guide of what to listen for:

We each used our own passages of songs to listen for traits such as soundstage width, ambience, decay into the noise floor, etc. Speaking for myself, not all songs revealed the same trait. IOW, when I thought I heard a soundstage difference between DACs on one song, I listened for it on another song, but it wasn't always there. At first that seemed confusing, because I questioned whether or not I'd even heard it; so I had to go back to the first song to confirm. And sure enough, it was there. I guess that's to be expected given the nature of SQ in recordings. It's also why we use different songs to try and detect different sound qualities. What surprised me was I stumbled across a passage - one that I don't normally use for comparisons - that enabled me to consistently pick out two of the DAC's in blind testing (Leonard will be posting results). There was an objection, so we recalibrated the ABX box for equal levels. I was still able to differentiate after that. The "tell-tale" for me was the snare at the beginning of a Jennie Devoe song (sorry I don't have it with me, but like I said, I'm not that familiar with it so I forgot the title). I'll post all my demo songs soon!

EDIT: Jennie DeVoe - Does She Walk on Water - Barefoot to Babylon

Last edited by Lumen; 11-17-15 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Referenced demo track
post #18 of 38 Old 11-17-15, 07:33 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
I hope Leonard doesn't get mad at me for spilling the beans and answering early. Yes, there were differences noted during sighted testing, and there were statistically significant results in blind testing. That is all I will say for now.

What was fascinating to me was the question of how to listen. That made all the difference in the world, for me anyway.

There will also be some interesting discussion about our specific ABX test method.
They are your beans as much as mine. We each need to share our takeaways. How we present the data to best and most objectively reflect what we found will be what I do. But our experience and what we each learned about ourselves and the equipment is far more interesting IMNSHO.

What I will say at this point is that this might have been one of the most illuminating of all of the Sonnie Sessions. And one where we had the strongest debates about process and what questions we were trying to answer.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #19 of 38 Old 11-17-15, 07:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

The "Sonnie Session" at the top of my list involved grilled pork chops and jalapeño sausages! A huge round of applause from me to you and Angie for supplying all that delicious brain-food!

post #20 of 38 Old 11-18-15, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Sorry for the delay in posting more details. Needed a recovery day after two days of driving back to Nebraska, and was so busy while still at Sonnie's that I could never get to it.

As a side note, the power steering went out on our rented Ford Explorer about two hours from home Monday night. It was such a nice vehicle up until that point, even driving in heavy rain (as long as I could SEE), but without power steering and traction control became and absolute BEAST to drive. Luckily it was late enough that traffic was pretty dead through Omaha and Lincoln and I was able to get it to my doorstep without incident and get it unloaded. Whew!!!!! The Budget Car Rental folks sent a tow truck for it next morning. They were very nice to deal with at both ends of the rental, and knocked a day off my rental fee and waived the final gas refill for my trouble. I give them a blatant plug here out of appreciation for their excellent customer service!

Will get into posting reviews and results shortly! Lots to talk about!