Pro Audio Amps - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 23 Old 05-08-06, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Re: Pro Audio Amps

Quote:
bricor wrote:
A while back I had 6 or 7 guys over and we did a comparison of the Crown 402 and a Parasound Halo A51 ($4k) in 2 channel only. I'd read all the hoopla about how bad pro amps sound and since I had them sitting there....
It was definitly eye opening. There was very little difference in sound between the 2 amps. A few of my guests said they could tell no difference and the rest thought they could but admitted they probably couldn't in a blind test. All agreed they'd never fork over the money for the Halo.
The guy that I bought the amp from said he did the same thing -- i.e., did an A/B comparison with a Halo he was using. Couldn't tell the difference so he sold the Halo and bought more of the crown amps.

JCD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 05-08-06, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
Derek wrote:
I've got four AE 15 IB powered by a pair 250w Parts Express plate amps. I'm going the pro amp direction soon though. The PE's are down 3 db @ 20Hz. As soon as I see the right Crown K2, it's mine

You're gonna love having an IB.
I've got one word for you.. Craigslist. That's where I ended up buying mine. You wait long enough, you'll find what you want at a good to great price. ESPECIALLY since you live in Campbell (I work in Campbell).

Also, how do you like you're AE 15 IB drivers? I'm looking for an inexpensive driver with tight bass, that's musical, etc.. basically, I'm looking for the perfect driver for $1.68/driver!

JCD
post #13 of 23 Old 05-08-06, 04:38 PM
Shackster
TV

The Mackies are good stuff. I started out DIY bass in the 1990s and ended up with 3 M1200s, a Rane PE17, and a Phase Coupled Activator as my "subwoofer rack". You can see an old photo here...

http://hometown.aol.com/tvodhanel/my...e/LFE_rack.jpg

I don't use the M1200s much anymore, but they still all work great when needed. I think I paid $450 each(or there-abouts) back then(37.5 cents a watt).

Now, you can get the EP1500 for $250---18 cents a watt..

We've always had great luck with Samson amps too. We've sold hundreds of S700 and S1000s with our passive subs and reported problems have been VERY rare with our users. Thee had very quiet fans too.

There was just a review of the EP1500 on audiocritic.com He found it to be an amazing value for the price.

Tom V.
SVS

post #14 of 23 Old 05-08-06, 08:07 PM
Shackster
Derek

JCD, Yep.. Been looking at Craigslist (and Audiogon). Thanks.

I love my IB. The AE 15's are about a year old now and they've never let me down. Although I did get nervous during WOW where ship comes out of the ground. Watching/Feeling four 15" drivers moving 1"-1.5" of excursion is scary on multiple levels This is one of the reasons I want an amp with a higher dampning factor and lower power range. There's always gonna be a movie to top the last one.

Since you work in Campbell, you're always welcome to stop by one evening after work for a demo. $400 for an IB will tromp any boxed sub I've heard.
post #15 of 23 Old 05-08-06, 08:12 PM
Shackster
Derek

BTW Music is what they do best.
post #16 of 23 Old 05-09-06, 09:47 PM
Senior Shackster

My first HK (avr235) will be arriving some time in the next two weeks and I am already looking at alternatives for an external amp to power just the L and R channels. Pro amps definitely are cheaper, almost too much cheaper to be true.

Earlier on PE I spotted an this amp (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=302-605) for that price or cheaper you can get a Xls that will produce so much more power than the audiosource amp I linked at half the cost! It just confuses me...

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #17 of 23 Old 05-10-06, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
Derek wrote:
Since you work in Campbell, you're always welcome to stop by one evening after work for a demo. $400 for an IB will tromp any boxed sub I've heard.
I will have to take you up on that sometime.. I've never heard one in real life, but have heard that they're the cat's meow!

JCD
post #18 of 23 Old 05-10-06, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
Exocer wrote:
My first HK (avr235) will be arriving some time in the next two weeks and I am already looking at alternatives for an external amp to power just the L and R channels. Pro amps definitely are cheaper, almost too much cheaper to be true.

Earlier on PE I spotted an this amp (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=302-605) for that price or cheaper you can get a Xls that will produce so much more power than the audiosource amp I linked at half the cost! It just confuses me...
I think pro-audio amps are generally not as good as a regular home amp. Pro Audio equipment is designed to be loud, portable and rugged. Fidelity isn't as important for a pro-audio amp as it is for a home version. Also, Pro-Audio amps generally have loud fans, so for home use you'd have to disconnect the fan, slow down the fan or move the whole amp to another room.

I'm sure there are other more technical 'issues', but those are the ones I've heard mentioned.

JCD
post #19 of 23 Old 05-10-06, 07:02 PM
Senior Shackster

I once had a Thermal Take HSF that sounded like a vaccum cleaner. Sounded pretty cool I may be the only person that doesn't have a problem with fan noise. I do see what you're saying about SQ. There are just so many different opinions with positive and negative experiences regarding home applications of pro-amps...It can easily get confusing.

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #20 of 23 Old 05-16-06, 05:36 AM
Shackster
kingkip

Lots of new drivers coming out in the near future from just about everyone it seems. Give it a little time, which it sounds like you have, and you'll find something good.