Pro Audio Amps - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 23 Old 05-16-06, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Re: Pro Audio Amps

Quote:
kingkip wrote:
Lots of new drivers coming out in the near future from just about everyone it seems. Give it a little time, which it sounds like you have, and you'll find something good.
I've heard the same.. but the wait is still killing me!
Some of the stuff I've heard about is "still in development". Some is still backordered. I just hope everythings ready by the time I'm ready.

JCD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 Old 05-16-06, 04:42 PM
Shackster
kingkip

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that you probably won't hear any difference between amps at the freqs that an IB works at. I've tried it in a buddy's IB and we couldn't tell which was which. Now power on the other hand is a different story. Fan noise can definately be a problem, some of the pro-amps can be pretty noisy. Fortunately mine will be on the other side of the wall from the theater.
post #23 of 23 Old 05-17-06, 05:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Reed

If you want one really cheap pro amp, look at Gem Sound. Be very cautious about this because the reviews are very mixed on this amp. You can buy a new XP-350 that is rated at 350W RMS bridged mono for $90 plus shipping. They make higher rated models as well. Of course this power rating is probably inflated or is measured at one frequency instead of the entire range, but it sure caught my eye.

I found a guy on EBAY selling one NIB for $60 plus $15 shipping, so I bought it. Like all the reviews said it does have some AC hum and the fan noise is loud. But in my situation I have a sub I use strictly for movies that is in the back of my room away from my listening area. Also I can't hear the hum unless I put my ear right up to the sub driver.

The fan noise is no problem for me either. I put the amp in a cabinet and closed the door. It stays cool so there haven’t been any heat problems. As far as power, I can say based on listening at comparable volume settings that this amp is certainly more powerful than the 225W amp I was using, and it sounds good. When I first got it I hooked it up to a pair of bookshelf speakers just to see what it would sound like. It worked well at all listening levels across a wide range of music. I have only had this unit for a week, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't fail me. But for $75 it can't be a great loss.

Reed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.