Pro Audio Amps - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 23 Old 04-28-06, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Pro Audio Amps

A general "run it up the flag pole and see who salutes.." kind of question...

I'm thinking of adding an infinite baffle sub to my hopefullysoontobemade listening room. In fact, that's what led me here in the first place, getting a BFD and calibrating it with REW. Anyway, still trying to find all the parts -- amp, bfd and drivers -- and have a question about two different pro audio amps I can get for a reasonable price.

The first is a Nady XA-1100 -- I can find it for about $210
The other is a Behringer EP1500 -- I can find that one for about $230-$240

Anyone have any thoughts on which one would end up working better?

The room will be small, and I'll PROBABLY be starting off with only two 15" drivers and MAYBE upgrading to four at some point.

JCD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-28-06, 11:28 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Pro Audio Amps

Ordinarily Iím leery of cheap pro amps; Iíve heard of some that died in home theater use, which is inexcusable since home use is a gravy-train application compared to what theyíre supposed to be designed for.

However, the reviews from DJs, musicians and even sound system operators at Musicianís Friend show pretty much universal praise for both amps. Some of them have been using them for a number of years, so youíre probably fine with either one. The only complaint I saw registered thatís highly relevant to home theater users is noisy fans.

The factory power ratings are EIA (@ 1kHz), not the FTC (@ 20Hz-20kHz) ratings that most home amps use. EIA rating is a less difficult standard and as such can be up to 20% higher than FTC, so keep that in mind. Also, make sure the amp you pick will support all four of the drivers youíve selected.

Here are links to the Musicianís Friend reviews:
Behringer
Nady

Regards,
Wayne
post #3 of 23 Old 04-30-06, 06:12 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

I'm happy with my Mackie M1400 (now only avail used --- eBay around $300). I ended up with it because I like the linear adjustable high pass (rumble) filter 10Hz to 170 Hz. I'm using it now bridged into 4 ohms. It is supposed to be capable of 1400 watts in that mode (I only "need" 1000)

BTW most pro amps need help quieting down their fans. I put a 130 ohm 5W resistor in series with the Mackie's 24 Vdc Panaflo fan and that did the trick for me. A lot of people have done a similar modification (100 ohm 10 watt rating) to Crown XLS pro amps.

Bob

post #4 of 23 Old 05-04-06, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Well, after all the questions.. ok, just question.. turns out I found a used Crown XLS 602 for a couple of c-notes. Figured, I couldn't beat that deal.

Also found a BFD -- picked it up at a discount since it wasn't totally new. It's supposed to be "never used". Whether or not it's true, it LOOKS pretty darned new.

Now, that I've found my amp and my BFD, I now need to decide on the drivers for my IB setup. That and of course the whole construction of my "listening" room.

JCD
post #5 of 23 Old 05-04-06, 07:53 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Tumults?

Sounds like the fun is about to begin.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-04-06, 09:37 AM
Shackster

Brian

Congrats.

IB drivers are somewhat scarce right now, but hopefully there will be more of a selection in a few months.

I use a Crown 402 to drive my IB. A while back I had 6 or 7 guys over and we did a comparison of the Crown 402 and a Parasound Halo A51 ($4k) in 2 channel only. I'd read all the hoopla about how bad pro amps sound and since I had them sitting there....
It was definitly eye opening. There was very little difference in sound between the 2 amps. A few of my guests said they could tell no difference and the rest thought they could but admitted they probably couldn't in a blind test. All agreed they'd never fork over the money for the Halo.
If you can control the fans or locate the amp in a different room, pro amps can be a great bargain.
I still use the crown for my subs and a more expensive amp (ATI 3007) for my speakers but there is more to good sound than buying a pricey name brand amp.
In short, the crown will power an IB just fine.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-04-06, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
bricor wrote:
Congrats.

IB drivers are somewhat scarce right now, but hopefully there will be more of a selection in a few months.

I use a Crown 402 to drive my IB. A while back I had 6 or 7 guys over and we did a comparison of the Crown 402 and a Parasound Halo A51 ($4k) in 2 channel only. I'd read all the hoopla about how bad pro amps sound and since I had them sitting there....
It was definitly eye opening. There was very little difference in sound between the 2 amps. A few of my guests said they could tell no difference and the rest thought they could but admitted they probably couldn't in a blind test. All agreed they'd never fork over the money for the Halo.
If you can control the fans or locate the amp in a different room, pro amps can be a great bargain.
I still use the crown for my subs and a more expensive amp (ATI 3007) for my speakers but there is more to good sound than buying a pricey name brand amp.
In short, the crown will power an IB just fine.
But that Halo is sure one sexy piece of equipment..

Seriously though, I agree, an amp can only sound as good as the drivers they're connected to.

I agree on the driver scarcity as well.. I may be in "luck" since I won't be able to install the IB for a while anyway. For a variety of reasons, the area where I plan to install is currently pack to the gills with stuff (my garage). I'm hoping to move forward with the project sometime in the coming month. By then, I'm hoping the drivers will become more available. I've also heard over on the IB forum that there may be some new affordable 18" drivers coming on the scene in the nearish future. I figure if I procrastinate long enough, I may get those.

How many drivers do you have in your IB? Which drivers did you go with? And how big is your space?

JCD
post #8 of 23 Old 05-05-06, 01:13 PM
Shackster

Brian

When I built it, I used 4 of the Lambda IB15's that were $100 each.
I then sold them and put in 4 of the Ascendant Audio Arsenal 15's.
Room is 16'x17.5'x10.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-07-06, 01:24 PM
Shackster
Derek

I've got four AE 15 IB powered by a pair 250w Parts Express plate amps. I'm going the pro amp direction soon though. The PE's are down 3 db @ 20Hz. As soon as I see the right Crown K2, it's mine

You're gonna love having an IB.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-08-06, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
bricor wrote:
When I built it, I used 4 of the Lambda IB15's that were $100 each.
I then sold them and put in 4 of the Ascendant Audio Arsenal 15's.
Room is 16'x17.5'x10.

Ahh, you must me a member of the Cult!

So, which do you like better and why? Enquiring minds want (need?) to know?

Due to buget constraints, I've been thinking about wimping out and getting two drivers instead of four until budgets permit. Did you try just two just for fun? And with 2 or 4, how did it fill your room?

JCD