Occasional Static Sounds - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 1 Old 01-10-16, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

My System
Occasional Static Sounds

My setup is as follows.

display: Samsung PN64F8500
avr: Denon AVR-X4000
amp: NAD T-955
speakers: NHT absolute walls for mains and surrounds, NHT ThreeC center
subs: two Martin Logan Abyss

I'm getting popping and static sounds in my system at different times. I'll describe them below.

Note that outside of these issues I don't really have any complaints, meaning that once something is playing, be it a song or a movie, it sounds fine. Of course these slight popping sounds would be hard to identify when other treble is playing.

1. When I run full range REW sweeps I'll get some static and pops during the sweep. I've followed all recommendations in the well know guides on this forum for usb mikes and REW. I have verified that my methods are producing 75db with a radio shack spl meter when the spl meter inside REW says 75db. I would say I get pops and static in about 15 % of the sweeps I run. I just re-run the sweep when this happens. I was assuming this was some type of interference from the PC until I started focusing on the apple tv issues.

2. Whenever I'm listening to music and I hold volume button to raise the volume I hear what sounds like radio interference when it climbs from say -50db to -20db. This is audible during the volume increase.

3. When I switch songs on an ipod connected directly to the denon. Sometimes there is a pop right before the song starts. Again I was assuming this was some type of normal consequence of all this technology having to work together.

4. The issue I'm about to describe is experienced with apple tv 3 and apple tv 4. Lets assume your on the main menu and moving left/right/up/down. There is a tone that plays. If someone could give me some input here it would help. If I move quickly like a movements at 1 second or lower intervals, there is only a tone with no treble pop on top. If I move around slower, like one movement every 2 or 3 seconds, there is some treble on top of the menu tone played. THIS TREBLE ON TOP OF THE TONE DOESN'T ALWAYS SOUND THE SAME. This is what makes me think the treble isn't supposed to be there and IS indicative of a problem.

5. All the above make me question what I'm hearing when I listen to music and movies now :-(

In summary layman terms, it seems to be some issue when the system is silent and then its asked to play something. Its like static is building up and its released upon starting to play something.

Let me try and answer any immediate questions that may be asked with some more info.

1. This behavior has been the same with three front sound stages. Infinity Kappa, Infinity Alpha and now NHT speakers.
2. I usually listen to movies at -10db and music around -25db.
3. RCA and speaker wire is quality pieces from Blue Jean Cables.

So firstly, does anyone else experience what I'm describing with apple tv menu tones?

I've got a couple uls-15 mk2's sitting in my living room about to take the place of the ML Abyss :-)

I've been playing with REW for about a year now. Someday I need to document for everyone the issues I've been able to address with this tool. It's been good fun moving speakers, changing crossovers and phase to get flat response.

Thanks in advance.