Do all receivers sound the same? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #21 of 25 Old 06-08-16, 02:20 PM
Shackster

eyespy39

My System
Re: Do all receivers sound the same?

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
Thanks I'll have some fun with the Pioneer plus I have 15 day return window in case I don't like it. Also the Pioneer has auto phase control that analyses the phase in real time in the background every 30 seconds. If that's even important.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I replaced my prior Denon AVR 4311 with a Pioneer SC-LX89 which is the european counterpart of the Elite-99. I did not change anything else. But I experienced quite an improvement in sound! Even though MCACC Pro does its measurements only for one sweet spot instead of Audyssey's 8 measured points in the sweet "field". Sure, the Denon is 6 years older in terms of development. Still, I find the MCACC concept, esp. phase control and group delay control and the like, quite convincing. And I like to think that this is one of the main reasons for the improved sound (the room is not too big and I always listen at moderate levels, so power was and is no issue, and both AVR's are promoted as trying to be as true to the signal as possible).
So I wish you a lot of fun and great sound
asere likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 06-08-16, 04:38 PM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

In my experience whatever cost you the most always sounds best. At least on first listen anyway. Actually I am just kidding. For some reason I have always preferred the sound of my Yamaha AVR's and have not preferred the sound of Onkyo as much. In my experience and for my preference of the brands I have had in my home over the years the order is - Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo. But as I stated its a preference and not a scientific determination of which sounds best.

Bottom line is all modern AVR's are pretty good for the money and it may actually boil down to specific features/options and budget that determines what anyone actually buys and considers the best option for them.
post #23 of 25 Old 06-12-16, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Ok, so I set up the Pioneer SC 95 with MCACC PRO calibration and to my ears and room it sounds like my Onkyo 805.
The only difference is the DSU on the Pioneer.
Idk, the Pioneer has dual sabre 32 DAC and yet not much difference in sound.
I think it all boils down to features.
I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on the 805 just yet.

post #24 of 25 Old 06-12-16, 10:41 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
Ok, so I set up the Pioneer SC 95 with MCACC PRO calibration and to my ears and room it sounds like my Onkyo 805. The only difference is the DSU on the Pioneer. Idk, the Pioneer has dual sabre 32 DAC and yet not much difference in sound. I think it all boils down to features. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on the 805 just yet. Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
That was also my conclusion for the most part. The only differences I found was with music and dual sub integration. Music sounds much better with my Marantz. Especially lower quality stuff such as MP3's. I also think XT32 does a much better job with my subs. Movies are pretty much the same without enabling DSU/Neural:X. Now if you include Atmos and the upmixing into the picture it's no contest. At the end of the day the upgrade was very much worth it.
post #25 of 25 Old 06-13-16, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
That was also my conclusion for the most part. The only differences I found was with music and dual sub integration. Music sounds much better with my Marantz. Especially lower quality stuff such as MP3's. I also think XT32 does a much better job with my subs. Movies are pretty much the same without enabling DSU/Neural:X. Now if you include Atmos and the upmixing into the picture it's no contest. At the end of the day the upgrade was very much worth it.
Yeah my 805 to me sounds more dynamic or about the same as Pioneer 95 but like you said one you engage dsu or Atmos the front speakers seem to disappear and you are more in a sound realm. You don't necessary know we're it's coming from but it's there.
Turn Atmos off and the fronts reappear.