How to Hook Up your Receiver Properly - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 81 Old 12-14-11, 06:10 PM
Senior Shackster

Kalani

My System
Re: How to hook up your receiver properly

Quote:
adept777 wrote: View Post
How does the Acoustic Research PR171 Digital RCA Cable (6 feet) cable compare to the AudioQuest RCA cables ( AudioQuest G-Snake audio cable - RCA plugs 1m (3.28') stereo pair )? Does it really make any difference like the 20 - 200 dollar price difference? Thanks!!
IMO, no.

For short distance cable runs, just buy from Monoprice and be done with it. Unless you're trying to squeak out every last dribble of performance from a $50k system, the money would be better spent elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 81 Old 12-15-11, 04:35 AM
Shackster

Thank you very much!! I went ahead bought the AR PR171 (6ft) and I will post my experience soon!
post #53 of 81 Old 12-23-11, 03:06 PM

I have never installed a home theater system before and I am coming across 1 issue. I have a VSX-921-k receiver and I am installing the front left, front right and center channels. Once all those were installed I tested it out on the tuner and all 3 worked fine. As soon as I turn it to tv/sat, only the left channel works. The right sounds very muffled and can't be understood. I also ran the white balance test and it came back as all 3 were fine. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,

Chris

post #54 of 81 Old 12-23-11, 04:23 PM
Shackster

My System

Hi, Name is Gary from Virginia. Couldn't find the intro page.

I decided to hook up my Teak/Bose surround system again.
I know I have all the speakers run properly.
This receiver is a Teak AG V3020. And I'm pretty sure my Pioneer PD M450 is hooked up properly with the red and white cables connected to the CD port on amp.

Now, I decided to buy a new DVD player. I got a Sony DVP SR200P, that has no provisions for coaxial connections.

After fooling with it the last couple days, I have come to the conclusion that; the TV doesn't have the provisions to work with this new equiptment. The TV is a 1991 RCA model F26051EM, which has a "Cable box" (Provided by the cable company) coaxially in line. Even tho I hooked the new DVD player straight into the TV via red yellow white cables, much less that in line where it needs to be, It still couldn't cooperate with the TV. (So the tech help from Sony told me, via phone)

In the process of all this, I accidently turned the VHS player on by accident. It took over the TV just fine.

So, I have taken a DVD/VHS combo-unit Sony SLV D100 and hooked it up coaxially. I hooked up some Red White Yellow cables up (not really knowing what I was doing).
I got the DVD player to work with the TV but not with the Teak system.

I don't have and can not find on-line any owners manuals.

I sure would appreciate any help I could get.
Thank you,
Gary
post #55 of 81 Old 12-23-11, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
TheMan wrote: View Post
I have never installed a home theater system before and I am coming across 1 issue. I have a VSX-921-k receiver and I am installing the front left, front right and center channels. Once all those were installed I tested it out on the tuner and all 3 worked fine. As soon as I turn it to tv/sat, only the left channel works. The right sounds very muffled and can't be understood. I also ran the white balance test and it came back as all 3 were fine. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,

Chris
Hello Chris, Welcome to the Shack.

It sounds like you have an issue with your sat box, have you ensured that the cables used for it are working correctly?

Quote:
glkirk wrote: View Post
Hi, Name is Gary from Virginia. Couldn't find the intro page.

So, I have taken a DVD/VHS combo-unit Sony SLV D100 and hooked it up coaxially. I hooked up some Red White Yellow cables up (not really knowing what I was doing).
I got the DVD player to work with the TV but not with the Teak system.

I don't have and can not find on-line any owners manuals.

I sure would appreciate any help I could get.
Thank you,
Gary
Hi Gary, also welcome to the Shack.

Thats the biggest issue with using old equipment with new. On the DVD player you will need to probably check the user menu to make sure that it is only outputting 480i not 480p for video.
As far as it not working with your Teck receiver I have not heard of that model so its really tough to say what could be the issue.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #56 of 81 Old 12-23-11, 04:49 PM
Shackster

My System

What I need is to how to hook things up? With all those components, I don't know how to hook things together.
Thanks,
Gary
post #57 of 81 Old 12-23-11, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Does the receiver have any component video inputs (red, green, blue) and digital audio inputs?

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #58 of 81 Old 12-23-11, 06:09 PM
Shackster

My System

No, Receiver has white red yellow 1in/2out under VCR
post #59 of 81 Old 12-23-11, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

well, that really limits what you can do. The red and whit are audio left and right and the yellow is the video. are you trying to hook up the VCR and the DVD player? if you only have one set of red, white, yellow you wont be able to do it.
Sounds like you need to upgrade your receiver for sure.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #60 of 81 Old 12-23-11, 07:20 PM
Shackster

My System

No, I don't want to hook up the VHS. Just the DVD/VHS combo unit That has some green red and blue ports, but also has 3 sets of red white and yellow. Two on back and one set on front.
Do I run the red/white/yellow out of the receiver into the DVD/VHS combo unit and back to the receiver?
What about the Cable box, does that play a part?