new member with upgrade bug - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lumen

post #1 of 5 Old 02-01-17, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

new member with upgrade bug

I'm trying to decide between Yamaha cx-a5100, anthem avm60 and Marantz 7703 any opinions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-02-17, 08:37 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: new member with upgrade bug

I would go with the Marantz 7703, its got alot more features and is more futureproof than the others.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 5 Old 02-02-17, 08:42 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Supposing I skip a feature-by-feature comparison, what does that leave us with? All of these units are excellent performers and capable of the usual laundry list of videophile "wants" and "needs". That laundry list is so long, it could take days to thoroughly compare each feature. The good news is that most features like loudness compensation, tone controls, and audio modes are generally common amongst all models and brands. Features like second zones, phono preamps, and streaming capability are usually reserved for higher-end models.

I personally think your satisfaction will depend on room correction's effectiveness in taming your room's acoustic problems (we all have them). The Yamaha has YPAO. The Anthem has ARC. The Marantz has Audyssey. Each flavor has its own perks and pitfalls, but I'm unfortunately not familiar enough with them to comment on specifics (hopefully an expert chime in). I do know it's more difficult to get superb results with Audyssey, so stear clear if you're not inclined to tinker.

Caution is in order when comparing specs. Try not to get too caught up in "spec wars." Distortion figures are vanishingly low in competent gear such as these fine specimens! DACs are usually top notch - and it helps to remember that a well implemented 2nd-tier DAC will out perform a poorly implemented top-o-the-line version. Output power is one of the more important specifications you need to consider, and one for which some manufacturers employ shady measurement tactics to shed their products in a favorable light. If a power spec doesn't give continuous power (RMS) into an 8 ohm load, all channels driven from 20Hz-20kHz with x% THD, then it's not possible to compare apples-to-apples. Incidentally, I had a hard time finding power output details for any of those three amps. Hmmmm.

Once again, the brands you cited all have good reputations for quality and service so I think your choice will boil down to power and room correction. Sorry I couldn't be more specific. Hope at least some of this helps.
doublejroc likes this.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-18-17, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I went another direction and purchased yahama ra-x3060 reciever. Using as a five channel preamp. I can use amps in reciever for atmos setup.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-18-17, 06:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Glad you were able to find something you're happy with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am