Help me decide if I should upgrade AVR - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-17, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

My System
Help me decide if I should upgrade AVR

I have been circumventing HDMI compatibility issues for the last two and a half years since I got my 4k tv. I have finally about had it and I am considering an upgrade to a receiver with 2.0/2.2 hdmi inputs to keep compatibility with my 4k60/hdr10 capable system and hopefully last into the future. There is no real solution for the input switching and my setup and I'm stuck with downgraded ARC/SPDIF audio for some sources.

It pains me, but I think the most I can get for my NR818 is about $250 even though it cost me $800 in 2012 and it costs about that much to get another new receiver with Audyssey XT32 like the NR818.

I am heavily considering a Denon X2300W or X3300W for $400 and $500, refurbished. Both would be a downgrade since they only have 7 powered channels, but at least the X3300 would have XT32.

Any thoughts or motivations to kick me over the edge and sell my NR818?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-28-17, 07:40 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Re: Help me decide if I should upgrade AVR

Well, your also not getting any ATMOS channels or even DOLBY TRUE HD / DTS HD MA decoding with the ONKYO.... so i think this should be part of your consideration if you plan on adding ATMOS channels ... I was truly skeptical in the beginning... But after I got my MARANTZ 7702 MKII / EMOTIVA XPA7 and my EPSON 5040 I had to go for it... I HIGHLY recommend the REAR+MIDDLE HEIGHT channels vs. FRONT WIDE / FRONT HIGH....
Now that there is plenty of UHD/ATMOS content on BluRay it was definitely worth the expense, but keep in mind the UHD BluRays are going to be and expensive investment... If you dont plan on going ATMOS I would suggest the MARANTZ 5010 or 6010.... Youl'll get the latest encoding and streaming features + the 4K HDMI switching you need....

If your not really going to commit to the ATMOS system just go with a ROKU 4K UHD streaming player direct to your TV and save some serious bucks... IF you have more than one 4K device , use this 4K switch

https://www.amazon.com/E-SDS-Switch-...hd+hdmi+switch
post #3 of 6 Old 08-28-17, 07:43 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

AS well you should really consider the MINI DSP DIRAC LIVE processor over Audyssey MultEQ XT32... It is FAR and ABOVE the room correction capacity of XT32....

post #4 of 6 Old 08-28-17, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Thanks for the input!

I'm still leaning towards a refurb Denon X3300w at $500 with 1 year Denon warranty, which is the same as last year's black friday price (as low as it goes).

I have tried 5.1.2 before with front wide on the onkyo using Audyssey DSX and DTS, it was a nice effect, but I have never tried true Atmos. I'm back in 7.1 for the past year or so, since most audio streams have been hacked down to 5.1 standard due to my setup. That being said I will be good to go to try out 5.1.2 with Atmos once I upgrade!

I have an offer for my Onkyo, I think I'm going to sell it while there's still interest in it...

post #5 of 6 Old 08-28-17, 08:28 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Good luck with the sale...and your system. Please keep us updated..
post #6 of 6 Old 09-01-17, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Got the X3300W. Happy with it so far. It is easily 15 lbs lighter, and slightly more compact likely due to Class D amps, than the NR818 was. I am fairly sure that after setting up Audyssey this receiver sounds better. Playing straight Dolby D imaging seems better and sound is clearer. Can't say much for the bass yet. This new avr powers my monkey coffins great, just like the nr818 did, so it definitely wasn't a downgrade in power or amp quality. There are fewer sound modes compared to the NR818 (no THX on the x3300) but that's nbd.

And, as a major plus, I'm now pass-through on 4k60/HDR and can receive high res audio including Atmos from my xb1s and UBD-k8500.

The x3300 also has an option in the HDMI-CEC settings to ignore signals from the TV after changing sources, but keep ARC and CEC enabled, which has fixed the really annoying problem I had before where 5-10 seconds after changing sources the NR818 would switch to tv/ARC.

Disappointed that the x3300 AVR remote doesn't have full tv/cable control buttons like the nr818 remote had, but I'll get over it.