Yamaha P2500S or Crown XLI1500 or Samson Servo 600 ? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 10-02-17, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Yamaha P2500S or Crown XLI1500 or Samson Servo 600 ?

Hi everyone,

I am looking for an affordable power amp for my towers Paradigm Monitor 11 v.7.
The preamp is an AVR Yamaha RX-A870. I listen only stereo, front 2 channels.

In my final list I have those amps:

Yamaha P2500S (do not have RCA inputs, but I have cables RCA->Jack, and also have high pass filters!)
Crown XLI 1500 (have RCA inputs and selectable input sensitivity ... seems to be very well built)
Samson Servo 600 (have RCA inputs, very good specs like THD, SNR, Damping factor ...!?)

and I can't decide what to choose. I can't get them home to listen each one before buying.

Please, owners of these amps, give me some hints about the sound I can expect to hear from these amps ...

I listen mainly to Rock music, all flavours

And I like a dynamic sound, very fast and detailed. Bass and drums to be fast, articulate, kick, dry ...

I also have in mind some tuning/upgrades for the chosen amp in the future ... electrolitic caps to be upgraded, etc.

Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-02-17, 09:27 AM

Ron

My System
Re: Yamaha P2500S or Crown XLI1500 or Samson Servo 600 ?

I used to have the Yamaha p2500s amp, and it sounded great, plus zero gang noise. IMO you can't go wrong with the Yamaha as they are rock solid quiet amps that sound great.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #3 of 6 Old 10-03-17, 12:56 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Iíll second Ronís suggestion. In fact, the p2500s that I use, was purchased after consulting him here. If you have 1/4Ē to TS cables, youíre half way there. No complaints here.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-03-17, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Personaly I do like Yamaha and p2500s is also better looking than the others ... if this could be a point, even if Samson vu-meters are like a charm to me (issues from childhood).

Also it seems a lot of hifi users are using Yamaha pro amps in their homes.
I admit I am scared a little that p2500s does not have rca and selectable sensitivity input (like Crown XLI 1500) but I do have a cable like in the attached picture.

From some experiences a year ago I am afraid I will get hum noise when using adaptor cables from non-balanced to balanced inputs, but maybe it was something else wrong a year ago with an SH old Crown I get to test it.

So, shall I understand that if I am using a cable like in the attached picture, p2500s will not have any noise?

TY
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha P2500S or Crown XLI1500 or Samson Servo 600 ?-cable.jpg  

post #5 of 6 Old 10-04-17, 10:15 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
Biscu wrote: View Post
Personaly I do like Yamaha and p2500s is also better looking than the others ... if this could be a point, even if Samson vu-meters are like a charm to me (issues from childhood).

Also it seems a lot of hifi users are using Yamaha pro amps in their homes.
I admit I am scared a little that p2500s does not have rca and selectable sensitivity input (like Crown XLI 1500) but I do have a cable like in the attached picture.

From some experiences a year ago I am afraid I will get hum noise when using adaptor cables from non-balanced to balanced inputs, but maybe it was something else wrong a year ago with an SH old Crown I get to test it.

So, shall I understand that if I am using a cable like in the attached picture, p2500s will not have any noise?

TY
The p2500s does have gain controls on the front of the amp.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #6 of 6 Old 10-05-17, 07:53 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Why are you considering upgrading parts ah la DIY when this will obviously void any warranty...when you could just buy a better quality amp like a BRYSTON or KRELL these can be found in used condition for less than retail.. I also think you should consider an EMOTIVA XPA2 ...