Basic receiver that stays cool - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-18, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Basic receiver that stays cool

We have a full size system in our basement with a projector screen, but I am looking for a basic (5.1) receiver for our living room. The receiver is housed in the bottom of an antique style cabinet, and I am looking for something ideally with a high efficiency (class D) amp that will stay cool, or at the least an effective auto standby mode, because the cabinet only has limited ventilation. Don’t want to spend a fortune... I am one of those that basically believes all amps not driven to the limit are basically of equivalent sound quality. I know some of the Pioneer Elites meet this standard, but they are pushing $1000...

Recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-23-18, 05:48 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Basic receiver that stays cool

If you have limited ventilation, Class D isn’t going to help. Any amp generates heat, which means the heat is definitely going to build up, even with Class D. It’ll take longer than with other amps, but it’ll eventually happen. Your best bet would be to find a way to exhaust heat out of the cabinet, using fans of some sort. AC Infinity is a company that specializes in such products for audio systems. It’ll be much cheaper than buying a new receiver.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 7 Old 09-23-18, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, the limited ventilation does include a computer fan on the back that keeps things from getting too out of control despite the current receiver being an older model from the 90s (and probably needing replacement anyway as it has a nonfunctional rear channel).

I should have stated my goals more clearly, the thing I actually want to avoid is drying out the solid wood cabinet and leading to it cracking. The current receiver does not have an auto off or standby and occasionally gets left on after use, which worries me more than the hour or two (at most) it actually gets used each day, so maybe an effective standby mode that automatically activates would be at least as important as overall low power consumption.

I checked out AC Infinity. Certainly their products are more slick looking than my current setup!

post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-18, 07:40 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I’ve never heard of a receiver that has an auto-off feature, Class D or otherwise.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #5 of 7 Old 09-27-18, 07:51 AM
Shackster

winston

greetings, it's really a hard job to make a recommendation because it's normal for all Amplifier's to run on the warm side (at any price range)

as the O P suggested (ventilation is the key to the life and performance of any Amplifier) that been said, I have used several Onkyo receivers over the years and none have ever been broken because of a heat problem, I'm still running my Emotiva first gen XPA 2 power amp "from there second delivery batch, Ventilation is the # 1 priority good luck

Chet Baker-Trumpet
Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
Herbie Mann-Flute
Bill Evans-Piano
Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
(....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
produced by...Orrin Keepnews...
post #6 of 7 Old 09-27-18, 03:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

Actually and antique or a replica? Either way the wood should be stable enough to take the heat. Is your computer fan expelling or blowing air on the component? Here is an exhaust fan you could integrate

https://www.coolerguys.com/collectio...mal-controller

post #7 of 7 Old 09-30-18, 10:30 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-Recei...s=marantz+1509

This receiver works well for basic applications - unless you want alot of power - then of coarse your talking about a higher price range....