Sub preamp for EP2500 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 06-22-19, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Sub preamp for EP2500

Been out of the game for a while but have been lurking around the forums to slowly get back in to things and see what the latest and greatest is...been using a Behringer ultragain mic2000 for sub pre amp, it finally took a dump and I’m on the prowl for a new preamp for my ep2500 for sub duties. What’s everyone’s recommendations of something under $250 that has input *boosting* for lack of a better work to make sure the pre-out from receiver is strong enough for the ep2500, has some eq possibilities like the mic2200 did, and has an adjustable low and high pass filter? The mic2200 worked fine, I just wished it had a low pass filter since the receiver is set for 120hz or somewhere in that range. Makes things a little peaky with this folded horn and 18” sub. Lol. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-23-19, 07:41 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Sub preamp for EP2500

The only thing Iím aware of that will do all that is the vintage Yamaha YDP-2006 parametric equalizer, which you will have to find used (you can find a review in my signature). I think the miniDSP will do everything youíre asking except boost the input signal.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #3 of 9 Old 06-23-19, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post
The only thing I’m aware of that will do all that is the vintage Yamaha YDP-2006 parametric equalizer, which you will have to find used (you can find a review in my signature). I think the miniDSP will do everything you’re asking except boost the input signal.

Regards,
Wayne
I’ll check into that YDP. Would there by any concerns running a miniDSP 2x4 with a Mic2200 in line after it to provide input boosting if needed?

Build log:

post #4 of 9 Old 06-23-19, 02:42 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Won’t hurt to use both, but if gain boost is all you need, an ART cleanbox is cheaper.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #5 of 9 Old 06-23-19, 02:43 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Wonít hurt to use both, but if gain boost is all you need, an ART cleanbox is cheaper.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #6 of 9 Old 06-23-19, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post
Won’t hurt to use both, but if gain boost is all you need, an ART cleanbox is cheaper.

Regards,
Wayne
Ok, I’ll go with the cleanbox. Do I need the miniDSP 2x4 HD or would the normal one be fine for this application?

Build log:

post #7 of 9 Old 06-26-19, 06:18 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Mini DSP 2x4 Balanced OR Mini DSP 2x4 DL - if you have a 2.1 - Dirac Live can take all that to another level with custom EQ curves and Dirac Live filters - nothing like it !!
post #8 of 9 Old 06-27-19, 12:07 AM
Senior Shackster
Myles

I have a MiniDSP-balanced (check the link in my signature). I have used it to drive EP4000 and iNuke6K. You definitely want to get the balanced version. It specifically has the output levels necessary to drive pro equipment. You won't need any other boosting. Guaranteed.

<-- SOLD!

post #9 of 9 Old 06-27-19, 07:09 AM
Shackster
RLouis

Although it's a bit more expensive than you're speaking of check out the DSpeaker 8033S-II. I'll do far more than just EQ your signal and you can run unbalanced (RCA) to the input and it'll convert to balanced output (requires an adapter cable) into the EP2500. I've always felt that amps with balanced inputs always sound a bit better when the hotter balanced input is used.

Canton Ergo RC-L's and 609's with custom crossovers, Cinepro 1k2SE and 3k6III amps, Marantz AV7704 Pre/Pro, Sony XBR65-X930E