Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Sub preamp for EP2500

Tags
ep2500 preamp
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RLouis 
#1 ·
Been out of the game for a while but have been lurking around the forums to slowly get back in to things and see what the latest and greatest is...been using a Behringer ultragain mic2000 for sub pre amp, it finally took a dump and I’m on the prowl for a new preamp for my ep2500 for sub duties. What’s everyone’s recommendations of something under $250 that has input *boosting* for lack of a better work to make sure the pre-out from receiver is strong enough for the ep2500, has some eq possibilities like the mic2200 did, and has an adjustable low and high pass filter? The mic2200 worked fine, I just wished it had a low pass filter since the receiver is set for 120hz or somewhere in that range. Makes things a little peaky with this folded horn and 18” sub. Lol. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

#8 ·
I have a MiniDSP-balanced (check the link in my signature). I have used it to drive EP4000 and iNuke6K. You definitely want to get the balanced version. It specifically has the output levels necessary to drive pro equipment. You won't need any other boosting. Guaranteed.

#9 ·
Although it's a bit more expensive than you're speaking of check out the DSpeaker 8033S-II. I'll do far more than just EQ your signal and you can run unbalanced (RCA) to the input and it'll convert to balanced output (requires an adapter cable) into the EP2500. I've always felt that amps with balanced inputs always sound a bit better when the hotter balanced input is used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.