Looking for Onkyo 705 or 805? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 07-28-19, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Looking for Onkyo 705 or 805?

Hello,

I'm a new member here at the shack and am looking to upgrade my older Yamaha RX-V750. I've been doing a lot of research an several forums and think I want to go with either an Onkyo 805 or 705. I've been reading that the 06 models are not as good as the 05 models but the problem is, I'm having a lot of trouble finding one of these older models. Basically, I'm just looking to get the new sound formats as I have a Panny BD35 which decodes these formats but only has 2 channel outs to run from. Therefore, I need an AVR with HDMI connections. I have a 5.1 surround system consisting of Infinity Beta 50's, Beta 20's, Beta C360 and SVS PC12+ in a large room open to other large rooms. Any help in finding one of these, in addition to any other AVR suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. Looking to spend between $500-$800 on the AVR.

Also considered the Yamaha 663 which is real cheap right now along with the Onkyo 806 and 706 which are also cheaper now as well.

thanks
iosman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-31-19, 05:59 PM
Shackster
Tad Slomski

Re: Looking for Onkyo 705 or 805?

I have an 805 that im.using but I've been looking to upgrade since it doesn't pass 4k through it. Where do you live?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 08-01-19, 07:45 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

If you want to future proof, you might want to consider a refurb from accessories4less.com

You can get a last years model for very cheap. If itís power you need, you can add an external amplifier. The 805 IS a beast, but if you use an amp with your AVR that point is moot, AND you can upgrade to atmos with a newer AVR.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-07-19, 08:14 PM
Shackster

Atmos isn't much of an "upgrade". Not because it is "bad" in any way, its just because studios won't very often pay for a human to sit and direct sounds into various channels to create Atmos soundtracks for discs. To get the "Atmos" soundtrack, a lot of movies sound like the 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack was run through Dolby Surround to get the "height" channels and that result is put into an Atmos soundtrack even though there is no "intelligence" behind what shows up in the height channels. One of the discs I sat through with this problem had exactly 5 seconds of sound in the height channels over a 100 minute movie. Star Trek Beyond, when there is a massive invasion of the ship with many hull piercings and weapons... the height channels were silent until you heard "Red Alert" several times in the height channels. That is NOTHING like the sound you would hear if you were there on the ship with the fighting going on live. There would be ALL KINDS of ambient sound coming at you from overhead. Until we get PEOPLE providing intelligence for immersive sound formats, there is nothing close to an "upgrade" from adding Atmos. DTS:X is a little better (same reason, no human intelligence creating most soundtracks). AuroMatic processing of most Atmos soundtracks (7.1 sound of True HD track is converted to immersive) sounds better than using Atmos decoding.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-07-19, 10:29 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Da Wiz wrote: View Post
Atmos isn't much of an "upgrade". Not because it is "bad" in any way, its just because studios won't very often pay for a human to sit and direct sounds into various channels to create Atmos soundtracks for discs. To get the "Atmos" soundtrack, a lot of movies sound like the 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack was run through Dolby Surround to get the "height" channels and that result is put into an Atmos soundtrack even though there is no "intelligence" behind what shows up in the height channels. One of the discs I sat through with this problem had exactly 5 seconds of sound in the height channels over a 100 minute movie. Star Trek Beyond, when there is a massive invasion of the ship with many hull piercings and weapons... the height channels were silent until you heard "Red Alert" several times in the height channels. That is NOTHING like the sound you would hear if you were there on the ship with the fighting going on live. There would be ALL KINDS of ambient sound coming at you from overhead. Until we get PEOPLE providing intelligence for immersive sound formats, there is nothing close to an "upgrade" from adding Atmos. DTS:X is a little better (same reason, no human intelligence creating most soundtracks). AuroMatic processing of most Atmos soundtracks (7.1 sound of True HD track is converted to immersive) sounds better than using Atmos decoding.

Iíve seen you make similar comments about Atmos before. What kind of setup do you have?