Onkyo 805 graphics - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 17 Old 11-01-09, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Ron

Re: Onkyo 805 graphics

Yep! That was it. I pushed the button and, as if by magic, there it was! Tony, after I read your post I did vaguely remember something about HDMI in the manual. But, for this old codger, 120 pages is a lot to remember. I am much more pleased with my purchase now. Thanks guys, Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 11-01-09, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Ron

Thanks Bob for your reply. The unit must have been set to "component". As soon as I pushed the HDMI button I was in business. I bet if the thing was set to some other output I would have been tearing my hair. So, you would have saved me from going bald.
Thanks, Ron
post #13 of 17 Old 11-01-09, 01:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
Ron, you have yourself a receiver that it would take spending thousands more to better if choosing from another manufacturer. The TX-SR805 is that good. Make sure to run the Audyssey setup.

It could not be easier. Press the lower front panel, plug in the supplied microphone into the input, and the Audyssey screen will show up on your display. You can set the microphone in as many as 8 seating positions in your room. The more settings, the better the sound will be for all listening positions.

Also, unless using truly full range speakers, set all speakers to small. This allows the Audyssey to apply 8 times the filtering power to the subwoofer channel. Low frequencies benefit the most from Audyssey's magic. In addition, it will allow all of your other speakers to concentrate to the highs and midrange where the magic lies. In addition, you will get higher overall sound levels when configured this way so long as your subwoofer is up to task. Also, set the LPF to 120 Hz.
Cheers,
JJ

post #14 of 17 Old 11-01-09, 08:08 PM

Quote:
ronbon wrote: View Post
Thanks Bob for your reply. The unit must have been set to "component". As soon as I pushed the HDMI button I was in business. I bet if the thing was set to some other output I would have been tearing my hair. So, you would have saved me from going bald.
Thanks, Ron
Hi Ron,

Glad you're back in business.

* Now, for some very useful links, check these out, and read them carefully:

1. Top 10 Onkyo Receiver Setup Mistakes
@ http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949414

2. Audyssey Setup Guide
@ http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...5#post14456895

3. Audyssey FAQ
@ http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html

))) These are invaluable links with detailed imformation that will put you in the right ball park.

Cheers,
Bob
post #15 of 17 Old 11-01-09, 09:35 PM
Senior Shackster
mjg100

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
Ron, you have yourself a receiver that it would take spending thousands more to better if choosing from another manufacturer. The TX-SR805 is that good. Make sure to run the Audyssey setup.

It could not be easier. Press the lower front panel, plug in the supplied microphone into the input, and the Audyssey screen will show up on your display. You can set the microphone in as many as 8 seating positions in your room. The more settings, the better the sound will be for all listening positions.

Also, unless using truly full range speakers, set all speakers to small. This allows the Audyssey to apply 8 times the filtering power to the subwoofer channel. Low frequencies benefit the most from Audyssey's magic. In addition, it will allow all of your other speakers to concentrate to the highs and midrange where the magic lies. In addition, you will get higher overall sound levels when configured this way so long as your subwoofer is up to task. Also, set the LPF to 120 Hz.
Cheers,
JJ
I agree that most everyone should use the small speaker setting, but 120Hz? If you have multiple subs located front and back 120Hz can work for you. I also like using a higher crossover point, but only with multiple subs. If you only have one sub then feeding it 120Hz will allow the sub to be localized. Also many bookshelf speakers have an f3 lower than 120Hz.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-01-09, 10:05 PM

Quote:
mjg100 wrote: View Post
I agree that most everyone should use the small speaker setting, but 120Hz? If you have multiple subs located front and back 120Hz can work for you. I also like using a higher crossover point, but only with multiple subs. If you only have one sub then feeding it 120Hz will allow the sub to be localized. Also many bookshelf speakers have an f3 lower than 120Hz.
This is only for the Low Frequency Effect Channel (LFE).

* Low Pass Filter for the LFE Channel only -> Page 88 from the 805's manual.

** It does not have anything to do with your speaker's x-overs.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-01-09, 10:51 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
Bob states it perfectly. The LPF should be set to 120 Hz and this is not where the speakers are crossed over. The LPF or LFE can have information up to 120 Hz on the .1 Channel and setting it to 120 Hz ensures that you are not losing information. I should have made this more clear. Excellent clarification Bob.
Cheers,
JJ