Arcam FMJ AV888 Processor: Official Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 107 Old 11-07-09, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

Arcam FMJ AV888 Processor: Official Thread

In Detail

Since the early 1990’s, Arcam has been dedicated to bringing high fidelity sound to the world of home cinema. Using audio technology usually reserved for audiophile stereo equipment, Arcam have pushed the boundaries for combined music and movie reproduction. The AV8 and AV9 AV processors have won numerous awards for sound and video quality around the world while Arcam’s audiophile AV receivers have gained wide critical acclaim in the more affordable sector.

Wolfson 8741 Digital to Analogue converters are deployed across all eight channels bringing ultra linear conversion of digital audio signals. Individual, multi-regulated power supplies feed all critical audio stages with studio grade Burr Brown DRV134 balanced line drivers used for balanced audio outputs to drive longer cable runs or active speaker configurations with extreme fidelity

To help eliminate the large volume jumps often found in broadcast TV sound user selectable Dolby Volume* processing is included, a world’s first for an AV processor. In addition Dolby Volume includes programme dependant tonal correction to deliver a richer, more realistic sound experience at low listening levels.

The AV888s internal video processing delivers sublime video using broadcast quality scaling and frame rate conversion from Pixelworks. Up-conversion of all video inputs to HDMI output at all commonly used standard or high definition resolutions is possible making system integration a simple affair. Full RS232 and IR connectivity are deployed along with IP control and dedicated interface for control and audiophile playback of iPods using the rDock or rLead.

Arcam’s world wide reputation for sound quality has come from over thirty years of experience and legendary attention to detail. All of this experience has been brought to bear in the development of the AV888 and as a result its sound quality is simply world-class. No matter what the program material, from the most explosive block blockbuster action to the most subtle musical detail, the AV888 will delivers simply breathtaking performance

Analogue Audio

* Audiophile quality components for best sound quality
* Multi-channel 7.1 analogue input for DVD-A or SACD sources
* Stereo direct mode bypasses and disables all digital processing for 2 channel analogue sources
* 9 stereo analogue inputs (including one MM phono input & front 3.5mm AUX input)
* Zone 2 stereo audio, from analogue inputs (Source and volume control independent from main zone)
* Zone 3 stereo audio, from analogue inputs, linked to Zone 2, volume control independent
* Support for iPod via Arcam rLead / rDock (independent of RS232 connection)

Digital Audio

* State of the art Analog Devices ADSP-21366 & ADSP-21367 DSPs for surround decoding
* Wolfson 8471 high end 24bit 192kHz audio DACs
* Crystal Semiconductor stereo ADC and precision electronic volume controls
* Burr Brown DRV134 Balanced line drivers
* Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital+, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS HD Master Audio*
* DTS High Resolution Audio, DTS-ES Discrete, DTS-ES Matrix, DTS96/24, DTS Neo:6**
* Dolby Volume gain management and Tonal correction processing*
* Dolby Volume processing for balancing of program material gain and tonal balance
* Adjustable crossover switching 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz
* 8 digital inputs 4 rear optical, 3 co-axial, 1 front 3.5mm optical AUX input
* Global audio delay, adjustable from 0-1000 milliseconds, to compensate for video processing delays in digital displays and sources with auto lip-sync for compatible displays

Video

* 5 HDMI inputs (up to 1080p, Deep Colour)
* 2 HDMI outputs (up to 1080p, Deep Colour)
* 5 Component inputs, one monitor output (up to 1080i)
* 5 S-video inputs, one monitor output, 2 tape outputs
* 5 Composite video inputs, one monitor output, 2 tape outputs
* Full video up/down conversion & frame rate conversion of all inputs where technically allowed
* Video enhancements (per input): Edge enhancement, Mosquito noise reduction, Random noise reduction, Block noise reduction

Custom Install Features

* Independent Zone 2 (audio & video), with fixed/variable volume
* Zone 3 audio with fixed/variable volume (follows Zone 2)
* Balanced audio outputs (XLR) for long cables or active speakers
* RC-5 remote input jacks for all three zones
* IP control over Ethernet
* IR pass through for source components
* Full suite of discrete IR RC-5 codes, including separate on / off etc
* 12Volt triggers, on / off for zones 1, 2 and 3
* Full duplex RS232 control input for more complex control systems
* Audio streaming and Internet radio via Ethernet port

General

* Supplied with back-lit CR102 learning remote
* control with support for up to 7 other components and a huge on-board code library
* Large, high contrast dimmable VFD front panel display
* User switchable between 120 & 230 volt
* mains supplies
* Size – 435mm (17.1in) wide, 415mm (16.3in)
* deep, 185mm (7.3in) high
* Weight 12kg (26.5lbs) nett, 17kg (37.5lbs) packed

Arcam FMJ AV888 Owners Manual

Arcam FMJ AV888 Processor Review at the Shack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 Old 11-07-09, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

Re: Arcam FMJ AV888 Processor: Official Thread

Please could owners and members use this as the Official Arcam AV888 thread for discussion and questions
post #3 of 107 Old 11-24-09, 08:05 PM
Ilya

Re: Arcam FMJ AV888 Processor

Hello everyone, have found this forum looking for reviews on the 888 and I would like to ask a question. I am looking to upgrade my amp (which is Harman Kardon atm), and reading all the great reviews of the AVR600 and 888 I feel pretty strongly locked on Arcam . My listening is about 50/50 music/movies and my budget is not very high. Could you guys give me an advance what path would be better to go purely for sound quality, get a used power amp like the P7 and add something like the 888 or just go for one box solution like 600 or 500 (again purely for sound quality, I'm mostly listening to classical).

Thanks in advance!

post #4 of 107 Old 11-24-09, 09:35 PM

Hi Ilya, and Welcome to The Shack,

John is the Arcam expert. And from what I know and learn myself, the Pre/Pro FMJ AV888 is even better sounding than it's cousin the FMJ AVR600. That's why John did the switch I believe.
The amp P7 is a very nice amp, it will be the perfect match with the AV888.

I'm sure John can tell you more about it. He should be back soon. His hours are different than mine and yours (near London, UK).

* Again, if you're after that last drop in sound quality, the AV888 is it.
But the FMJ AVR600 HD Surround Receiver is no slouch either, it is in fact what I believe to be even better sounding than many expensive separates, and of all A/V receivers of course.
There is one very positive review from Home Theater Mag., by Mark Fleischmann, in the June 2009 issue.
And another one from Widescreen Review, by Peter Moncrieff, in the May/June 2009 issue.
-> You can read that last one here for now: http://www.arcam.co.uk/_ugc/file/avr600wsr-web.pdf

))) But wait for John to learn more about the FMJ AV888 though...

Cheers mate,
Bob

Last edited by Lordoftherings; 11-24-09 at 10:09 PM. Reason: )))
post #5 of 107 Old 11-25-09, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

Hi Ilya13 and welcome to the Shack you have certainly found the right place for everything you need to know about AV!

I think you are taking the right approach by looking at a power amp such as the Arcam P7 and I know of a few people who have gone for the AV888 and matched it with the P7 rather than the P777 which is a more a cost effective solution, but you are still keeping SQ at it's best, I have actually matched mine with a Rotel RMB1575 with very good results, the rotel being very a neutral sounding amp and allowing the AV888 SQ to shine through.

The AVR600 is also an amazing receiver and I had one for approx 1 month before changing over to the pre/pro, it is easily the best sounding Integrated AV amp on the market IMO and strikes an excellent balance between movies and music, the amplifier section of the AVR600 is very strong and will power almost nearly all speakers with relative ease but it is also quite efficient being class G so runs fairly cool to the touch even when listening at extreme levels.

My personal opinion is that if you can stretch that bit extra then the AV888 & P7 would be the one to go for as it steps up in SQ by quite a bit being more refined and detailed at the top end of the frequency spectrum but also having more impact in the lower regions/bass, both music and movies are a pleasure to watch and listen to and it never fails to amaze me with it's quality even now after a good few months of owning it.

Saying this and if I could not stretch the extra I would be more than happy with the AVR600 as it is just so good, a refined and well rounded AV amp and highly recommended by many.

Any other questions then please ask?
post #6 of 107 Old 11-25-09, 05:25 AM
Ilya

Thank you very much guys for the reply, as I understand any of the 2 solutions would be great for me, so I will probably have to see how much of my budget I can squeeze out and then decide on it... Will keep you informed
post #7 of 107 Old 11-25-09, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

Quote:
Ilya13 wrote: View Post
Thank you very much guys for the reply, as I understand any of the 2 solutions would be great for me, so I will probably have to see how much of my budget I can squeeze out and then decide on it... Will keep you informed
Yes, definitely let us know how you get on, one thing I will point out that while the AVR500 has excellent SQ it really is a cut down version of it's bigger brother the AVR600, you lose pre outs/Network card and also slightly less power which certainly need to be taken into consideration, losing pre outs does not give you the flexibility of using a power amp for upgrading which to some is a big loss.

Here is the AVR500 thread I started just in case you were also considering that option Arcam FMJ AVR500 7.1 Receiver: Pre-Release Thread
post #8 of 107 Old 11-30-09, 12:19 PM
Shackster
David

Would this be the place to ask question on the FMJ888? I just got my unit and I have some operational questions.
1. How do you find out what firmware is installed on the unit?
2. I have unit set to Use DHCP to connect to the internet and it will not connect? I have a cable modem going to a router.

Thanking you in advance for your help!
post #9 of 107 Old 11-30-09, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Quote:
sailcappy wrote: View Post
Would this be the place to ask question on the FMJ888? I just got my unit and I have some operational questions.
1. How do you find out what firmware is installed on the unit?
2. I have unit set to Use DHCP to connect to the internet and it will not connect? I have a cable modem going to a router.

Thanking you in advance for your help!
I do not see why not.

1/ on the front of the AV888 hold down the menu button until it brings up the engineering menu, you will see what firmware versions are loaded.

2/ You have it set correctly for the Network connection with DHCP set to on as it will then auto assign the IP details, I would try a different cable, I am sure it is a straight CAT5 cable you need.

Also for Internet Radio you need to log in to the following website and you can add favourite stations to your AV888 listings as it is specific to your unit http://www.arcamradio.co.uk/setupapp...gin/SignIn.asp go to the part where it says "Please enter the ID # for your unit (more info about the ID #):"
post #10 of 107 Old 11-30-09, 01:21 PM
Shackster
David

Thank you I will purchase a CAT 5 cable right away.

My system locks up when I power up my cable box, TV and 888 from standby. I have programed my universal remote to power up the Cable Box first, TV Second then pause before powering up the 888. The 888 freezes and I have to power it completly off and back on again and it clears up the problem. I have Software version V1.9. and DSP Firmware V0.11.

Suggestions?
Thanks again!

BTW - This pre/pro is killer on Music, TV and Blueray and I am so happy with the results!