Pioneer Elite VSX-82 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 22 Old 05-01-10, 12:34 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System
Re: Pioneer Elite VSX-82

Great, chaulk one up for Pioneer customer service...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 06-09-10, 10:19 PM
Shackster

winston

Question Re: Pioneer Elite VSX-82

Quote:
mconner wrote: View Post
I called Pionner this morning and yes there is an issue (Handshake) with the HDMI port. Below is the link and information regarding the issue from Pionner. The tech guy I spoke with opened a case for me and sent it over to Customer Service. He said they would issue a letter and send it to me so I could take it to the local service center for the update at no charge.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...+A+V+Receivers
so "mconnor did you get that firmware upgrade as yet??... in the mean time (as Tony suggested that the culprit maybe the HDMI cable) be advise that in addition to what ever fix you might try to do, take a look at those cables "because one of them may very well be the problem!! either way please give us a feed back on the out come.. good luck
post #13 of 22 Old 06-18-10, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Update.... Got the receiver back this afternoon and reconnected everything and wait for it, wait for it....................
YES! No studdering, fragmenting/pixelation, and I can change channels from non HD to HD channels without turning the receiver off.

Epson Home Cinema 5030UB * Panasonic DMP BDT500 * Def Tech BP7004 * Def Tech CLR 2002 * Def Tech BP2X * Martin Logan EM-IW * Denon AVR-X4200W * Roku 4 * Netgear R7000 Router * Sonos Connect * Chief Rack Fan * (2) Sanus CFR1615 Racks * Royal Racks Sliding Base *

post #14 of 22 Old 06-18-10, 09:50 AM
Shackster

winston

Wink Re: Pioneer Elite VSX-82

Quote:
Update.... Got the receiver back this afternoon and reconnected everything and wait for it, wait for it....................
YES! No studdering, fragmenting/pixelation, and I can change channels from non HD to HD channels without turning the receiver off.
well alright "mconner" good for you maaaan now that you knack out that HDMI issue enjoy!! because those Elite are built to last a very long time.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-24-10, 03:03 PM
shooter

As it was asked earlier if anyone was having problems with the newer models.
I for one own a SC-27 and I have not had any problems at all with it so far. It has been six months now since I bought it, and IMHO I think it is the best thing on the market for the money. I am totally happy with it, and I can not see going back to any other brand. But again, that is just my own opinion.
Good luck to all.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-24-12, 10:19 AM

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-42 and am having what seems to be a handshake issue as well. I recently had the same issue with an Onkyo tx-nr609 and thought it was a bad hdmi board after doing extensive research. I returned the Onkyo and got the Pioneer. As soon as I hooked the Pioneer up everything worked great. After a power outage the receiver would not show a signal through any device, any cable, whether HDMI or RCA or component. I even brought down my 37" tv to test on and still no signal. The strange thing is that there was audio through all devices: xbox360, ps3 and cable box. Both instances this happened after a power outage. Thoughts?
post #17 of 22 Old 07-24-12, 02:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
brothersgutters wrote: View Post
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-42 and am having what seems to be a handshake issue as well. I recently had the same issue with an Onkyo tx-nr609 and thought it was a bad hdmi board after doing extensive research. I returned the Onkyo and got the Pioneer. As soon as I hooked the Pioneer up everything worked great. After a power outage the receiver would not show a signal through any device, any cable, whether HDMI or RCA or component. I even brought down my 37" tv to test on and still no signal. The strange thing is that there was audio through all devices: xbox360, ps3 and cable box. Both instances this happened after a power outage. Thoughts?
Hello,
Welcome to HTS. HDMI for all of its convenience is somewhat of a Trojan Horse. In the guise of using 1 Cable in the place of as many as 15, HDMI enforces far stouter Copyright Controls and due to HDCP (High Definition Copyright Protection) often reaps havoc on older HDMI Devices when connecting them to newer HDMI Devices.

Many of the Handshake Issues derive from HDCP conflicts. This is often exacerbated by older HDMI Components that are no longer receiving Firmware Updates. It is the lack of support for legacy models that often causes problems. This is especially acute with Blu-Ray Players as many recently released BD's will simply not play on older BDP's instead giving a screen saying "A Firmware Update is Required to View this Disc". Or something to that effect.

All this being said, it appears to me that your AVR might have been damaged by a Power Surge that could have gone along with the Power Outage. The same thing happened to my beloved 60gb PS3 Launch Model where after an outage, HDMI, and all other Video Outputs were no longer working. Sadder still, I had Ripped 100's of CD's onto my PS3 and when Sony exchanged my 60gb with another 60gb PS3, I lost all that was on my Hard Drive.

I am guessing that there was nothing wrong with the 609 aside from it not playing nicely with your other HDMI Sources, but that is just a guess. I am afraid it is time to call Pioneer and arrange to send your AVR in for repair. Hopefully, Pioneer will not find tell tale damage from things like Lightning as most Brands exclude such things from warranty coverage. Before doing this, make sure to Reset the Microprocessor. It is outlined in your Owners Manual. I cannot remember the procedure for Pioneer AVR's, but it almost always involves holding a combination of 2 Buttons of the Front Panel of the AVR.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #18 of 22 Old 07-24-12, 10:57 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Quote:
Looks as though I might have to go that way. Do the newest Pioneer Elite receivers have any of these issues? An upgrade could be in the future.

Thanks
I have a SC 35 with no issues, in fact I sell PIONEER now due to solid reliability and recall issues w other brand...My new SC35 has been a stellar performer!! ....

Last edited by RTS100x5; 07-24-12 at 11:04 PM.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-25-12, 08:20 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I hope Pioneer has better reliability in their receivers than a few years ago. The ones that I sold and serviced were more like Onkyo in reliability. Clearly a step below Yamaha and Denon in that regard, in my experience.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-28-12, 10:00 AM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I hope Pioneer has better reliability in their receivers than a few years ago. The ones that I sold and serviced were more like Onkyo in reliability. Clearly a step below Yamaha and Denon in that regard, in my experience.
Ill put it this way....I have replace 12 Onkyo's in the field since Jan 1...Some were with Onkyo's ,2 of which failed a 2nd time !! The Pioneer and Denon replacements have been flawless.... I no longer sell Onkyo even if the customer requests it....