Receiver Dilemma ! Please advise. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 05:55 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System
Re: Receiver Dilemma ! Please advise.

Yeah, OK. I'm with ya.
Course I do have a couple more suggestions/questions for ya

What I meant by placement does not just mean physical placement in the room. For example, facing your TV, lets call that 0 degrees and that is where your center is. So your L & R mains are likely somewhere around 30 degrees, yes? But, are they aimed directly at your listening position? Are they aimed straight out? Little tweaks in positioning the speakers ie; toed in or toed out can make a big change in how enveloping your system is, even though the speakers are in the same physical space. Same goes for the surrounds.

Just out of curiosity, do/did you use an SPL meter when setting your levels?

Also, rooms can make a huge difference in sound. I have had my exact same system set up in three different houses... all three a very different sound. My 3805 does have room eq, but I never use it. Play with it and check it out now and then but I always go pack to Room EQ:OFF

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
raj

Thanks for the tip Tony. I have been eyeing the Onkyo 876 since yesterday and was almost ready to buy it from A4Less when I saw that people got it new almost a year ago for $799 or $899, hence I am a bit hesistant to buy a refurb unit for $900.00 I don't mind waiting for a month or two ... and I am hoping the Onkyo TX-NR5007 or Onkyo TX-NR3007 would come pretty close to my 1K budget. Do these newer models have any advantages over the 876 or is it the other way around ?
post #13 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 09:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
Actually Accessories4less now is selling the TX-NR3007 for 1099:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

However, several people have gotten them for 1050 Shipped so you well might be able to get that price.
I will say that unless you are using a 7.2 or 9.2 Setup, the TX-SR876 probably is more powerful and is definitely cheaper.

The TX-SR876's were available at AC4L for 849 or so, but were almost always the Silver Finish. I will say that at 899, it is still an awesome value and great AVR.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

post #14 of 16 Old 05-11-10, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
raj

Jack ... even though I don't plan to have more than 7 speakers in my primary listening area I wouldn't mind an additional two channels for my back yard. Curently, with my AVR-5803 I am having to use a 15 year old Sony Pro-Logic receiver to power the backyard. So a 9.2 receiver sounds quite appealing.
Whn you say SR-876 is more powerful that the X007 series ..are you basing that on the build quality, transformer size and unit weight etc, or the published watts ?
I am seriously thinking about getting the TX-NR5007 unless someone tells me not because of the numerous HDMI related reliability issues that have been reported. Thanks for your tips and advice.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-11-10, 07:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I have not read very many issues with HDMI reliability in the 007 Series. As far as power capabilities, the TX-SR876's peak Power Consumption is 9.5 Amps for 7 Channels whereas the 3007 PC is 11.6 Amps for 9 Channels. Though slight, the TX-SR876 is slightly more powerful per channel.

Unfortunately, there have not been any Bench Tests that I have seen of the 3007 and 5007. However, the Bench Test for the TX-SR875/6 is quite impressive:http://web4.soundandvisionmag.com/re...-receiver.html

I am a huge fan of the 5007 and if you have use for the channels, then it would make for an excellent AVR. I was just looking at if you were using a 5.1 setup for some reason. In which case, the other 2 channels could be used for a Second Zone. (Backyard) Both the TX-NR5007 and TX-NR905/6 use a Toroidal Transformer which is not used in the rest of the Lineup.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #16 of 16 Old 05-13-10, 12:43 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

The new EQ's are amazing and do a lot for your room. I currently use the Sherwood Necastle 972 and the surround is incredible, much better than I can get, even from a precise manual setup. I don't think you will get the sound you are looking for from your current receiver, though it is a very great receiver, the lack of EQ is the downside.
One other option is to just change out your surrounds for some dipole/bipole and see how that works. You could use your current satellites as rears, or in another room for a second zone. For me, EQ disperses the surrounds and opens up the room. You might get similar results if you get rid of your monopole/direct radiating speakers. Just my 2 cents.

matteo