Receiver Dilemma ! Please advise. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
raj

Receiver Dilemma ! Please advise.

I am a proud owner of the Denon AVR-5803 (bought it used last year ...couldn't even dream of buying it when it was new). The sound quality and the power simply rocks, however, for movies and music videos the sound is not as enveloping and immersive as it is in my brother's setup with the AVR-2310 and Polk Satellites and PSW650 sub. Hence I am thinking of some upgrade options.
My max budget is 1K. Hence there is no way for me to buy a AVR-4810 or anything else in that price range. My viable options are to sell the AVR-5803 for about $700 and get the Denon AVR-4310 CI / Onkyo TX-NR3007 or buy the Denon AVR-3310 / Onkyo 876 for about $900 and use the AVR-5803 for amplification. Currently I am using Polk 7600 satellites and a Seaton Submersive sub but plan to upgrade to larger towers such as Paradigm Studio 100 in the next year. My Den/Kitchen is rather large (6000 cu ft) and it opens out to the rest of my open floor plan home.
Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 09:44 AM
Elite Shackster

Jay

Re: Receiver Dilemma ! Please advise.

The Denon AVR-5803 has preamp outputs, think about adding amplification. An Emotiva XPA-2 for your fronts would change things a bit I would guess. Perhaps even run your fronts and center with an XPA-3?

It also sounds like a speaker upgrade is in order.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, iTunes/BitPerfect
MacBook Air SuperDrive
Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD
Schiit Bifrost USB DAC
Emotiva ERC-1, USP-1 and 2 x UPA-1
Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa
Grado SR80i
Magnepan MMG Magnestand
Rythmik Audio F12
post #3 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 10:32 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
The 5803 is a Battleship. I really am not sure it is the AVR. It does lack Room EQ, HDMI, True HD, DTS-HD, etc, but it should sound great with a BDP being hooked up into the Multichannel Inputs. Have you done a test tone on the BDP using an SPL Meter?

Excellent Subwoofer you have there. Changing up Speakers would be nice and would be what I would spend money on.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

post #4 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 10:36 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I also agree that a speaker upgrade may be the best money spent. Adding an external amp to at least power the main channels would also gain you a fair bit of power and free up the receivers internal amps to do the rest.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 10:40 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
Also, you might want to check out the Octava HDMI-6 Channel Input Box. You plug the multchannel Input on the back of your Denon into this box and hook HDMI from your BDP into the Octava.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #6 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 01:01 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

Yes, I agree with the others. The 5803 should be fine and if you want the newer sound formats use the analog inputs.

So you have Polk 7600's, and your brother has Polk _____ ?

Mark
post #7 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
raj

Thanks for the replies guys. For my current speakers I don't think I need more power. The Rated 170 watts/ channel on the AVR-5803 is more than enough. My only complaint is that surround sound is not as good as it is very the new receivers with Audyssey MultEQ.
I am deferring the speaker upgrade to a later time because in my current setup with an older Projection TV ... I don't have room for large towers. I was all set to buy the Panasonic TC-P65V10 when this 3-D bug bit me and now I will wait for the TC-P65VT25 to be released and for the price to drop to within my means ..so i am guessing another year. Once I get a flat panel the the AV gear will go in a cabinet under it and I will no longer need the Bell-O AV rack which will make room for large towers.
Mark: My brother's setup has the newer Polk 6900s and I gave him my PSW-650 when I upgraded to the Submersive. For his needs it is more than adequate and things sounds rather good.

Yes the submersive is amazing ...but I haven't been able to tune it right yet. I will come back to this forum to seek expert help someday. My REQ readings are messed up. I get a reading of 120 plus DB from 2-20 HZ ... god would have to make a sub to produce those frequencies at that volume. I haven't had time to troubleshoot that.
Thanks.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 02:36 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

Could be you just prefer the sound of his 6900's over your 7600's
Could be a difference in settings/set-up/placement
Could very likely be the difference in your rooms.

You may want to experiment with speaker placement, small changes can make a big difference.
Have you set your crossover? Speaker distance settings? Speakers levels? etc.?

Mark
post #9 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
raj

Mark: Unfortunately, I don't have too many speaker placement options in my current setting ..it isn't a dedicated AV room. Based on my experience with the two speaker sets ...the 7600s are far superior.
With Audessy Multi EQ disabled, my brother's setup sounds no where close (mine sounds a lot better) to my setup but with Audessy enabled things improve dramatically. So I am guessing that that these new processing technologies which adjust the sound emanating from speakers based on the surroundings really work. To a purist it might not sound right but to my discerning yet non-audiophile ears they sound really good.
The AVR-5803 only allows adjustments to the speaker level ..and simply adjusting the surround channels is not cutting it. Please don't get me wrong, my setup sounds really well but I feel it can be made to sound better with little investment.
So my question goes back to whether I should buy a new mid priced receiver with good processing capabilities and use my current Receiver (Denon AVR-5803) for amplification or sell the current receiver and get a Receiver with a better amplifier section.
I guess with everything else in AV ..there is no easy, one size fits all answer.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-07-10, 04:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
rc2776 wrote: View Post
So my question goes back to whether I should buy a new mid priced receiver with good processing capabilities and use my current Receiver (Denon AVR-5803) for amplification or sell the current receiver and get a Receiver with a better amplifier section.
With this new information I do think a new receiver would offer you a large improvement over what you have, I also dont think Using your current Denon as an amplifier would really give you any benefit unless you have another location in the house that you would like a small setup.
If your budget will allow the Onkyo 876 is the top of the pile for quality and power, Nothing comes even close unless you spend at least twice as much. It has a huge power supply and amplification section, Auddessy , THX Ultra2 certified and HQV Reon-VX video processing (the best available)

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900