A ZONE 2 Question, and a Request for Opinions on 3 or Multichannel Amps... - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 24 Old 06-14-10, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

Re: A ZONE 2 Question, and a Request for Opinions on 3 or Multichannel Amps...

Quote:
recruit wrote: View Post
I would really check the manual about Zone 2 but I am sure it will not work in the way you want it to, that is what pre-outs are for on AVR's.
I think you may be right -- I believe it's simply to feed an amp for speakers in another room, in stereo...but I figured it was worth a shot of asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 06-15-10, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Okay,

So can anyone confirm if using ZONE 2 of an AVR like the Onkyo 605 can be used to feed an external stereo amp for powering the main channels, or can this not work?

And what of anyone else's thoughts regarding going with a full-blown multi-channel amp (5 or 7) as opposed to just getting a three-channel model to power the more vital front soundstage? What are the pros and cons of each approach?
post #13 of 24 Old 06-15-10, 08:16 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Hi Osage, If i had the option i'd go full blown 5 channel amp then a seperate 2 channel of the same class for 7.1 otherwise i'd stick to the 3 channel for the fronts and let the AVR's internal amp deliver to the rest of the system, i'm not familiar with Onkyo so i can't give any advice on it but i'm almost positive my Denon is the same way if i'm understanding everything correctly.

post #14 of 24 Old 06-15-10, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Quote:
bambino wrote: View Post
Hi Osage, If i had the option i'd go full blown 5 channel amp then a seperate 2 channel of the same class for 7.1 otherwise i'd stick to the 3 channel for the fronts and let the AVR's internal amp deliver to the rest of the system, i'm not familiar with Onkyo so i can't give any advice on it but i'm almost positive my Denon is the same way if i'm understanding everything correctly.
Indeed, thank you for your opinions, Bambino!
post #15 of 24 Old 06-16-10, 01:39 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Osage_Winter wrote: View Post

And what of anyone else's thoughts regarding going with a full-blown multi-channel amp (5 or 7) as opposed to just getting a three-channel model to power the more vital front sound stage? What are the pros and cons of each approach?
I suppose this depends on the quality of the amps you go for but with the likes of Emotiva offering nearly all configurations of power amps, it may work out cheaper and best if you go for a 5 channel power amp to start and then maybe add a 2 channel for either the mains or the rears for a 7.1 config, they seem to have a very good rep when it comes to VFM the same like Onkyo...
post #16 of 24 Old 06-16-10, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

Quote:
I suppose this depends on the quality of the amps you go for but with the likes of Emotiva offering nearly all configurations of power amps, it may work out cheaper and best if you go for a 5 channel power amp to start and then maybe add a 2 channel for either the mains or the rears for a 7.1 config, they seem to have a very good rep when it comes to VFM the same like Onkyo...
Thanks John.

Would you be able to recommend an alternative amp other than Emotiva? Just asking for options...

As for the amp configuration, do you not think a, say, XPA-3 could be good enough just for the front stage and let the next Onkyo AVR handle the rears?
post #17 of 24 Old 06-16-10, 02:01 AM
Banned!

I do not see a problem powering your front 3 with the Emotiva and then letting the AVR power the rears, once calibrated to 75db then all should be balanced out, the only problem I see is if you want more power amps it will mean more boxes that need accommodating.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-16-10, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Quote:
I do not see a problem powering your front 3 with the Emotiva and then letting the AVR power the rears, once calibrated to 75db then all should be balanced out, the only problem I see is if you want more power amps it will mean more boxes that need accommodating.
Indeed; well, that's one reason I wouldn't be going the monoblock route, for all those amps...but I don't think adding another single chassis for a multichannel amp would be a big deal; I have space in a lower cabinet of my wall unit where everything sits anyway to accommodate one.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-17-10, 02:13 AM
Banned!

In my set up I have ran out of room and cannot fit any more amps unless I have a major change around and I honestly could not be bothered, plus it sounds good enough as it is, so best left well a lone, if it ain't broke don't fix it, if you know what I mean
post #20 of 24 Old 06-17-10, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Indeed, John.

BTW, in your profile pic, I noticed that your wife (I am assuming) looks very much like mine; except mine wears glasses sometimes. How long have you been in the UK? Are you originally from there? I visited London once and loved it; looking to go back at some point.

Do you have any pics of your system and setup?