dumb question - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 29 Old 07-01-10, 03:21 PM
Senior Shackster
Bill

Re: dumb question

Quote:
wil11o6 wrote: View Post
hmm...yeah the center and fronts are set to small.
Looking at the manual, it appears as if by default, if the center is Small its low frequency component will be sent to the front L/R. There is a Sound Setup option 1D BASS which gives you a choice of SWFR, FRONT, or BOTH. Perhaps that explains why you are hearing more from the fronts than the center.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 07-01-10, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the help Tony and Bill,

I have two Energy CB-5 for fronts and CC-5 for center. I connected the center to the left terminals so it can go lower for sure.

Let me just reset my entire receiver settings and just start from there and see how that goes.
post #13 of 29 Old 07-01-10, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I just tried setting 1D BASS to SWFR, FRONT, or BOTH, and it all yields the same result. I ran some bass heavy files from this site and my two L/R mid-woofers are thumping and my center isn't. The highs are fine, just the bass is not there in the center.

post #14 of 29 Old 07-01-10, 03:42 PM
Senior Shackster
Bill

That's what I was suggesting. The receiver is a little strange, in that it appears you can set the front L/R to Small even though there is no sub. And then, when you set the center to Small, it is redirected to the front L/R even if they are also Small.

From what I read, it appears if you set the Center to Large, not Small, it will keep its bass, so it may sound the same as the front L/R.

The receiver is also a little basic; the manual suggests you can set the speakers to Small, but you have no control whatsoever of the crossover frequency. Maybe the manual is not telling the whole truth.

Bill
post #15 of 29 Old 07-01-10, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

It's pretty basic, I just reset my system. I went through every option available in the display menu. I cannot set the crossover frequency or much.

So I am assuming if I get a better receiver, I'll have the same loudness throughout my 3 speakers.
post #16 of 29 Old 07-01-10, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Oh! I should also mention that, I don't know if this is important, but maybe, that my center speaker is brand spanking new. I only played an hour on it, and not too loud, while my other two L/R has been about 2 weeks and many hours of loud/low volume. Maybe it needs to be broken into? at least the mid-woofer part
post #17 of 29 Old 07-01-10, 04:01 PM
Senior Shackster
Bill

Did you try setting the Center to Large?
post #18 of 29 Old 07-01-10, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Yes, it seems to be a little better, but not the same as my L/R but an improvement
post #19 of 29 Old 07-01-10, 06:38 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Quote:
Hello all,

I don't know if this is the way my receiver is made, or all receivers are made, but my left and right channel speakers are "pushing more air bass-wise" than my center channel in 5-channel mode. I have a budget $200 Yamaha HTR-5930 that I bought a couple years ago. I was thinking that in 5-channel mode, all speakers would be the same loudness. I tried connecting my center speaker to the left channel terminal on my receiver and it was louder, the mid woofer was pushing more bass than when it was in the center channel. Is this common in all receivers because the center channel is more focused towards dialog even though the receiver is set in 5-channel mode?

I am thinking of upgrading to a better receiver like the Onkyo TX-SR707, would it be the same as my Yamaha in the 5-channel mode? or would my L/R/C be pushing the same amount of bass and loudness.

I am using all the same set of speakers for L/R/C speakers.

Thanks
My Denon 3808ci is the same way in 5 channel stereo mode but i've always assumed it is the way it is setup , The volume is the same across the board but the center just doesn't thump like the rest of the speakers and it's got 4, 5'' or 6'' drivers.
post #20 of 29 Old 07-01-10, 09:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
Oh! I should also mention that, I don't know if this is important, but maybe, that my center speaker is brand spanking new. I only played an hour on it, and not too loud, while my other two L/R has been about 2 weeks and many hours of loud/low volume. Maybe it needs to be broken into? at least the mid-woofer part
A new speaker will need some time to break in in my opinion so that cold also be on of the issues.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900