dumb question - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 29 Old 07-01-10, 10:14 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Re: dumb question

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
A new speaker will need some time to break in in my opinion so that cold also be on of the issues.
Not to tottaly disagree with you Tony but i don't think there would be that noticable of a differance but i won't say that it isn't plausable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 07-02-10, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the responses guys,

So after messing with all my settings, the best was setting my center to LRG, however it's still not thumping as much as my L/R so it's safe to say that it's just how my receiver was made.

Time for an upgrade?
post #23 of 29 Old 07-02-10, 05:00 PM
Senior Shackster
Bill

Quote:
wil11o6 wrote: View Post
... however it's still not thumping as much as my L/R so it's safe to say that it's just how my receiver was made. ...
You could try picking up a Radio Shack SPL meter on ebay, to verify that the level from the center is set even with the levels of the front left/right.

From there, with some cables and assuming your computer soundcard has a line-in input, you could use Room EQ Wizard to measure the response of your speakers with your current receiver. From your description, I suspect the difference you are hearing is attributable more to the speakers and the room than the receiver. You may find that you can improve the response with changes in the speaker position, or you may conclude that when you do upgrade your receiver, you will need one with a more robust built-in equalization to address room issues.

Good luck,
Bill

post #24 of 29 Old 07-03-10, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I see..well my speakers are positioned pretty much just 1 feet away from me, and it's set as 1 foot in the receiver. Could it be that my center speaker requires more wattage to power, and my receiver doesn't have a good enough amp? my two bookshelves require less. On numbers alone, it says my center should be 20-150w whereas my bookshelves are 20-100w and my receiver is only rated at 100 max watts per channel I believe.

Or is that totally irrelevant.
post #25 of 29 Old 07-03-10, 12:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

You need to consider how efficient they are more than how much power they require. If you have the manuals for them there will be something like 91db efficient rating under the specifications (or look on the rear of the speakers) anything above 90db is considered efficient and under that it would take more power to reach the same level of volume.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #26 of 29 Old 07-03-10, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

They both are the same @ 89db.
CC-5 and CB-5

I tried connecting the center speaker to left channel with my right bookshelf speaker. It was not thumping as much as the right one, even in the left channel, though it's more than when it was in the center channel. Sorry if that sounded confusing; maybe it's just the way the center speaker was made; not as bass-y. or maybe it's just the receiver.
post #27 of 29 Old 07-03-10, 12:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Are they all 8Ω as well so there should be very little difference between the two. I'm still thinking that your receivers level is not quite set right. You also need to remember that the center channel handles the dialog in a 5.1 mix and may not carry as much dynamic information as your left and right speakers.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #28 of 29 Old 07-03-10, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Yeah..that's what I'm thinking at this point. I went through all the settings in the receiver, tried every combination. My receiver has a pretty simplistic set up menu, so there isn't much I can change, but I did try everything. From changing cables to reconnecting to different terminals and every setting in setup.

Thanks for the help Tony, always so quick to reply
post #29 of 29 Old 07-03-10, 01:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

No Problem,
Like we said in an earlier post if your seriously looking at upgrading Value for money the Onkyo 707 is a great receiver.

Home theater:

Living room system: