Upgrading AV Amp - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 09-08-10, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Upgrading AV Amp

I am getting rid of my Yamaha RX-V765 and I have short listed potential amps to sit on my rack

Onkyo 807, Yam RX-V2065 and Denon 2310. 3D business isn't important to me. Sound is. So which one will drive my Missions best ladies and gents?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-08-10, 03:49 PM
Banned!

Re: Upgrading AV Amp

Most folks here prefer Onkyo. Check accessories4less, shoponkyo, and amazon (sometimes) for good prices.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-08-10, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I am in the UK. I am aware this is a Yankee based site. I just want something that will perform well music wise via iPod. I know a stereo amp will perform better. A av amp that will perform well with music and movies. I have only listened to Onkyo 607 wasn't impressed. I am using Mission speakers

post #4 of 18 Old 09-24-10, 05:09 PM
Senior Shackster

you forgot to mention the model of your speaker. If they are floorstanders, they really need more power to make them sing. you have to pair them with a decent powered AVR.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-24-10, 06:19 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Ojojunkie is correct if they are floor standers, more power never hurts even if not. My personnal preferance is Denon but the Onkyo's sound like they are quite the performers. Check out our hometheater store for some options.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-25-10, 12:14 AM
Shackster
Soundcrazy

Unless you are prepared to spend a pretty good deal of money on your receiver (over $1,000) I would buy the receiver based upon features, NOT specs and surely not power specs. I am not saying everyone needs a $1,000 receiver, most donít, I am saying that from my experience receivers/amps wonít have much audible difference unless they are pushed into distortion. In fact there has been a $10,000 challenge out there for more than 10 years to anyone who can reliably hear the difference between any two amps of any design as long as they arenít pushed to distortion. To date thousands of people have taken the challenge including professional reviewers and nobody has even come close to winning the money.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-25-10, 12:27 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Shackmonster wrote: View Post
Unless you are prepared to spend a pretty good deal of money on your receiver (over $1,000) I would buy the receiver based upon features, NOT specs and surely not power specs.
Sorry but what is your point there? as features are meaningless if the sound is not up to scratch, surely you would purchase an AVR for the SQ as well, leaving out the $10,000 thing
post #8 of 18 Old 09-25-10, 01:44 AM
Shackster
Soundcrazy

Quote:
recruit wrote: View Post
Sorry but what is your point there? as features are meaningless if the sound is not up to scratch, surely you would purchase an AVR for the SQ as well, leaving out the $10,000 thing
I agree with you and apologize if I wasn't clear enough making my point. I think any receiver/amp you buy today will have good quality audio, it is a matter of how much demand your speakers and room will put on the amp section of the receiver.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-25-10, 02:31 AM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Quote:
Shackmonster wrote: View Post
In fact there has been a $10,000 challenge out there for more than 10 years to anyone who can reliably hear the difference between any two amps of any design as long as they arenít pushed to distortion. To date thousands of people have taken the challenge including professional reviewers and nobody has even come close to winning the money.
Where can i find this challenge? As many can attest to this first hand at hearing an audible differance in there system when more power is added.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-25-10, 06:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The challenge is here:

http://www.davidnavone.com/a2000/Amp...20Revision.pdf

From this point we'll keep the original thread on track as this "challenge" could possibly get a lot of responses. Anyone who wants to persue this can start a new thread.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.