Yamaha RX-V1700 Receiver / RX-V2700 Receiver - Official Owners Thread - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 07:37 AM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Re: Yamaha RX-V1700 Receiver / RX-V2700 Receiver - Official Owners Thread

I have my RX-V1700 hook to the toshiba HD-XA2 via HDMI and when I press the "straight" button is only showing MPCM, I cant get it to dolby o dts, do I need to change something on the DVD player o the receiver?????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 07:48 AM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Quote:
Rodny Alvarez wrote: View Post
I have my RX-V1700 hook to the toshiba HD-XA2 via HDMI and when I press the "straight" button is only showing MPCM, I cant get it to dolby o dts, do I need to change something on the DVD player o the receiver?????
The "Straight" button disables the internal DSP (so no DD PLIIx to make 7.1 out of 5.1). Try not using it. Selecting the DVD audio input on the Yamaha should do an "auto" select to use the linear Multichannel PCM HDMI audio input without using the "Straight" button. I'm just extrapolating from what my RX-V2500 does (no HDMI) with the S/PDIF digital versus two channel analog with its auto select of the best input for a given selection.
post #23 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Hakka wrote: View Post
Are you using the Cinenova with the Yamaha or the internal amps?
The Cinenova is sold, I'm just using the V1700.

post #24 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
bobgpsr wrote: View Post
The "Straight" button disables the internal DSP (so no DD PLIIx to make 7.1 out of 5.1). Try not using it. Selecting the DVD audio input on the Yamaha should do an "auto" select to use the linear Multichannel PCM HDMI audio input without using the "Straight" button. I'm just extrapolating from what my RX-V2500 does (no HDMI) with the S/PDIF digital versus two channel analog with its auto select of the best input for a given selection.
This is a little confusing to me... especially you suggesting "Try not using it." From the manual it appears it is the only way for it to decode DD and DTS. On page 49 it reads:

"When this unit is in the STRAIGHT mode, multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional effect processing."

And then it has a column listing the various formats and their description:

DD
DTS
DSD
PCM
MPCM
Analog

And that's pretty much all it says on this.

On page 96 there is a Decoder mode section that explains:

"Use to switch the input mode. You can designate the reassigned digital input jacks for specific audio signals (DTS, etc.) Choices: AUTO, DTS."

Is HDMI not considered "digital" ???

This is probably one of the more challenging receiver manuals I've been exposed too...
post #25 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 03:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
although navigating the menu was aggravating at times with no "Return" or "Back" button to get you back to where you were previously. I found myself having to exit completely out of the Menu and go back in to go to some other settings... really poorly arranged IMO.
Assuming it's the same as my 5890, all you do is press up or down at the top or bottom of the list (respectively) and it takes you right back to the previous menu screen. For instance, if you are into the menu system with something generic like:

..A
.....Left
.....Right
.....Center
.....etc

and you want to get back to level A, just keep pressing up until you get back to Left and then press up again and you're back in A. Does that make sense? I find it makes navigation really easy because you only have to use up, down, left, and right the whole time. Other receivers I've played with have buttons for every minor task and it becomes ridiculous.

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
I found I had to set the levels almost at max to get to my listening level while the receiver is set to -10 on the volume. Had I left it where the auto setup had it, I would be at +10 before it was getting loud enough.
Is this calibrated to reference or just generically basing it on -10 should be "loud"? With Yamaha test tones, you calibrate each channel to 75db when master volume is at 0.

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
One other minor gripe is the volume level numbers are teenie weenie and there is no way to read them from my listening position. I wish they had made those numbers much bigger or allow it to pop-up on the screen all the time like it does when you are adjusting it in the Menu.
Unless the 1700 is different from the 5890 again, the MV does pop up on screen when you are using the video input the menu is set on. Additionally, whatever is displayed on the receiver pannel (THX, Standard, Pro Logic IIx, etc) changes to display the master volume when adjusting the volume.

post #26 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Assuming it's the same as my 5890, all you do is press up or down at the top or bottom of the list (respectively) and it takes you right back to the previous menu screen.
Mine doesn't do that. Pressing Up or Down keeps rotating through the same screen.

Quote:
Is this calibrated to reference or just generically basing it on -10 should be "loud"? With Yamaha test tones, you calibrate each channel to 75db when master volume is at 0.
-10 is generally where I listen on my other units... just a reference for me.

I didn't read this about the master volume at 0 in the manual, but maybe I should try it and see what happens.

Quote:
Unless the 1700 is different from the 5890 again, the MV does pop up on screen when you are using the video input the menu is set on. Additionally, whatever is displayed on the receiver pannel (THX, Standard, Pro Logic IIx, etc) changes to display the master volume when adjusting the volume.
I'm not sure what you mean by "video input the menu is set on". The only video connection I have is HDMI so the OSD is using HDMI to show on my screen.

I'm thinking they must be different because nothing changes on the front of my unit when changing volumes. Unless there is somewhere I can tell it to do this and just haven't figured it out or read it in the manual yet.
post #27 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 04:06 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
Sonnie wrote:
Mine doesn't do that. Pressing Up or Down keeps rotating through the same screen.
Well that's no good.... Maybe they redid the menu system.

Quote:
The only video connection I have is HDMI so the OSD is using HDMI to show on my screen.

I'm thinking they must be different because nothing changes on the front of my unit when changing volumes.
So when your projector is using the HDMI input, and you change the master volume, it shows up on neither the screen nor on the front pannel of the receiver display? That's odd. That should be default, but I'd imagine there has to be a way to turn that on.

post #28 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 06:30 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
So when your projector is using the HDMI input, and you change the master volume, it shows up on neither the screen nor on the front pannel of the receiver display?
Mine's like yours - pushing a button shows the action on both the front-panel display and the OSD. Guess they’ve changed that – bad move, especially with the iddy-biddy volume numbers... From what I see in the manual, the short OSD display only shows what’s on the front panel – which I guess is a static “Dolby Digital,” “Pro Logic,” etc.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
post #29 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 06:39 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
This is a little confusing to me... especially you suggesting "Try not using it." From the manual it appears it is the only way for it to decode DD and DTS.
Look at the top right hand part of page 40 in your manual. I'm talking about the Audio Select on the front panel or AUDIO SEL on the remote control. When you select DVD audio as the source the AUDIO SEL button lets you choose AUTO, HDMI, COAX/OPT or ANALOG connection types for DVD audio. You need to be sure that you have ASSIGNed the HDMI as an audio input for DVD per page 94. I downloaded and glanced through the manual. Very nice AVR. I'm jealous. Trying to hold out for a RX-V2800 or better for my next AVR.
post #30 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 07:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
Wayne wrote:
Mine's like yours - pushing a button shows the action on both the front-panel display and the OSD. Guess they’ve changed that
Hmm, you know what, I bet it's precisely because he is using HDMI. I wonder if the receiver is incapable of displaying system info through the HDMI signal chain while material is being played?