Yamaha RX-V1700 Receiver / RX-V2700 Receiver - Official Owners Thread - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 07:28 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Re: Yamaha RX-V1700 Receiver / RX-V2700 Receiver - Official Owners Thread

The guys from toshiba told me the it could be that the receiver doesnt support DD, DTS.......... thru HDMI.
The guys from yamaha................. on screen menu is only with video, s video and 480p component.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
bobgpsr wrote: View Post
Look at the top right hand part of page 40 in your manual. I'm talking about the Audio Select on the front panel or AUDIO SEL on the remote control. When you select DVD audio as the source the AUDIO SEL button lets you choose AUTO, HDMI, COAX/OPT or ANALOG connection types for DVD audio. You need to be sure that you have ASSIGNed the HDMI as an audio input for DVD per page 94. I downloaded and glanced through the manual. Very nice AVR. I'm jealous. Trying to hold out for a RX-V2800 or better for my next AVR.
Yeah... it was on AUTO. I changed it to HDMI, but I don't think it matters. All seems to work the same.

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
W
So when your projector is using the HDMI input, and you change the master volume, it shows up on neither the screen nor on the front pannel of the receiver display? That's odd. That should be default, but I'd imagine there has to be a way to turn that on.
It changes to show MAIN VOLUME out beside the teeine weenie numbers, but that don't help me any. If they would make the numbers as big as the lettering on the MAIN VOLUME then I could probably read it.
post #33 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I did some more tinkering and reading... no new news and no good news... same ole stuff.

I measured my non-eq'd response and my PEQ response tonight:

Blue = Non-EQ
Red = PEQ

Doesn't seem to do a whole lot really, except roll off the high end.

I'm really disappointed with the functionality of this unit. Yamaha has really dropped the ball IMO. Even though I like the sound, I still may sell it and go back to Denon.

post #34 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

No matter what I do... all I can get to show up is the MPCM .... I haven't seen any indication of DD or DTS yet. I have tried every possible setting tonight, but generally have resorted to AUTO for most of them.
post #35 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 11:10 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

The Toshiba DVD is sending DD, DTS, etc...... the receiver is not recognizing the signal thru HDMI, it could be the cable!! DVD player is 1.3 and the receiver is 1.2 the receiver just cant read the info thru the HDMI, maybe using the digital input!!!
Hey Sonnie is your cable 1.3???

post #36 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 11:10 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Yeah... it was on AUTO. I changed it to HDMI, but I don't think it matters. All seems to work the same.
And it should. I think the AUTO selection is fine. It gives preference to HDMI which should be what you normally want. This AUTO gives interesting possibilities. I've noticed that on my RX-V2500, if I do not have active audio coming in via S/PDIF (say the source was powered down) but do have active audio on two channel analog stereo going into the same overall input selection (say DVD) then AUTO automatically uses the two channel analog. I leave AUTO enabled unless I want to force things otherwise.

The point is that "Straight" is not really desireable unless you want a more "pure" path without any DSP stuff.
post #37 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 11:15 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
No matter what I do... all I can get to show up is the MPCM .... I haven't seen any indication of DD or DTS yet. I have tried every possible setting tonight, but generally have resorted to AUTO for most of them.
Hey that sounds like a source problem and not the AVR. Is the source set to output bitstream on HDMI for standard DVDs? Like the AUTO setting for HDMI on the Toshiba HD DVD players.

I doubt that there is such a thing as a HDMI 1.3 only cable. Any HDMI cable should work.
post #38 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 11:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Sonnie, that's a pretty nice overall FR before PEQ If you were somehow able to boost the 60-150hz range a bit, I think you would find a nice improvement in percieved bass sound quality

Sounds like the 1700 is nothing but problems. From my point of view, I'm not interested in carrying audio/video over a single cable and won't be until the industry absolutely forces me to. That issue aside, it still sounds like there are problems. As I mentioned before, every receiver has its own idiosyncracies, and it seems that the ones in this unit are pretty annoying. If you were pleased with the Denon, I wouldn't hesitate to go back. The job of a receiver is to simplify things, not compound them

post #39 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 11:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Oh, by the way, any chance one of you guys could pop the hood and take a top down picture of the internals? I'm interested in finding out if the power supply, heat sinks, and capacitors are the same as in my unit.

post #40 of 90 Old 03-05-07, 11:43 PM
Senior Shackster
Hakka

I wuold be interested to see a graph comparing 'straight' mode to one of the cinema DSP modes, I've heard the DSP modes add some boost in the bass frequencies on the newer AVRs.

As Bob mentioned, check the Toshiba to see if DD/DTS bitstream is set to HDMI, I'm guessing its set to SPDIF at the moment.

Harry.