Yamaha RX-V1700 Receiver / RX-V2700 Receiver - Official Owners Thread - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 90 Old 03-06-07, 12:19 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Re: Yamaha RX-V1700 Receiver / RX-V2700 Receiver - Official Owners Thread

Sonnie, one more thing. You should be able to manually adjust the EQ - I'd cancel auto EQ (it's hurting, not helping), and since you already have a great "before" graph to work from, you can manually dial in where you want to make changes. You should be able to make a big impact that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 90 Old 03-06-07, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
bobgpsr wrote: View Post
Hey that sounds like a source problem and not the AVR. Is the source set to output bitstream on HDMI for standard DVDs? Like the AUTO setting for HDMI on the Toshiba HD DVD players.
I'll check that tomorrow evening and see what's up with it.

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Oh, by the way, any chance one of you guys could pop the hood and take a top down picture of the internals? I'm interested in finding out if the power supply, heat sinks, and capacitors are the same as in my unit.
I can probably do this if I decide to sell it and take it out of the loop. I may just take the time to do it for ya anyway.

Quote:
Hakka wrote: View Post
I wuold be interested to see a graph comparing 'straight' mode to one of the cinema DSP modes, I've heard the DSP modes add some boost in the bass frequencies on the newer AVRs.
I can probably handle this too. I'll probably be taking some more measurements anyway.

Quote:
Sonnie, that's a pretty nice overall FR before PEQ If you were somehow able to boost the 60-150hz range a bit, I think you would find a nice improvement in perceived bass sound quality

Sonnie, one more thing. You should be able to manually adjust the EQ - I'd cancel auto EQ (it's hurting, not helping), and since you already have a great "before" graph to work from, you can manually dial in where you want to make changes. You should be able to make a big impact that way.
Yeah... now we might be getting somewhere. The GEQ might come in handy here, along with the tone control which is probably centered right around 100Hz.

I'll fiddle with all this some more tomorrow evening.
post #43 of 90 Old 03-06-07, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Rodny Alvarez wrote: View Post
The Toshiba DVD is sending DD, DTS, etc...... the receiver is not recognizing the signal thru HDMI, it could be the cable!! DVD player is 1.3 and the receiver is 1.2 the receiver just cant read the info thru the HDMI, maybe using the digital input!!!
Hey Sonnie is your cable 1.3???
I don't know... MPCM is Multi PCM, so maybe that's what it's supposed to be showing. We need to test some SD DVDs and see what happens with them. I might also hook up a digital cable just to see what happens.

I'm thinking along the same line as Bob.... I don't think there is a 1.3 only cable. I don't think this is the issue, but I've been wrong an awful lot in my life time.

post #44 of 90 Old 03-06-07, 01:34 AM
Senior Shackster
Hakka

I would think if the cable was the problem DD and DTS would work and there would be issues with the HD sound formats and/or HD video signal, as they require a lot more bandwidth than DD/DTS.

I have heard of cheaper cables passing 1080i but not 1080p, due to bandwidth issues.

HDMI v1.3 introduced a new mini connector for camcorders etc, unless you have a piece of equipment that uses this mini connector, there is no v1.3 cable.
post #45 of 90 Old 03-06-07, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

It appears that the XA2 will not output bitstream over HDMI... the only available options for HDMI output are Auto, PCM or Downmixed (stereo) PCM. I guess MPCM is what we are supposed to be seeing on HD-DVDs. I'll try an SD-DVD this evening.
post #46 of 90 Old 03-06-07, 06:33 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
It appears that the XA2 will not output bitstream over HDMI... the only available options for HDMI output are Auto, PCM or Downmixed (stereo) PCM. I guess MPCM is what we are supposed to be seeing on HD-DVDs. I'll try an SD-DVD this evening.
That is right!. MPCM with HD DVDs since the HD DVD player must internally decode the audio to Multichannel linear PCM if the disc is authored in Advanced Content mode (which most all HD DVDs are). It then mixes the audio with button sounds and if any, HDi commentary audio (goes with PiP, etc). It then sends the decoded/mixed Multichannel linear PCM out the HDMI port.

With a SD DVD the player will pass the legacy DD or dts bitstream out via HDMI, if the HDMI interface is set to the AUTO setting in the player's setup menu.
post #47 of 90 Old 03-06-07, 06:54 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
Sonnie, one more thing. You should be able to manually adjust the EQ - I'd cancel auto EQ (it's hurting, not helping)
Maybe not. It did smooth response above 3 kHz quite a bit. The SBS-01s are on the bright side, so it may be that they needed a little taming in Sonnie’s room. I think I’d leave the EQ alone, and instead dial up the treble control if more highs are needed, which would increase them while maintaining the improved response.

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I'm really disappointed with the functionality of this unit. Yamaha has really dropped the ball IMO. Even though I like the sound, I still may sell it and go back to Denon.
What a disappointment. I helped some friends set up an RX-V1600 just a year ago, and I was pretty impressed with it – had a lot of improvements over my old DSP-A3090. It was the first one with HDMI, and it worked fine with their DVD player and TV. I was impressed with how easy the remote was to operate and program. I was also impressed with the manual (if you want to see a dreadful manual, check Harmon Kardon. None of the helpful pictures that Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer et. al use – just a dreary and tedious sea of black ink and small fonts, and you have to constantly refer to the pictures way back at the front of the book..)

Looking at the picture of it on Yamaha’s website I see the 1600 also has the tiny volume numbers – I really didn’t notice that at the time. I think that would aggravate me as well.

Regards,
Wayne
post #48 of 90 Old 03-06-07, 06:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Is the HD DVD player converting the high definition digital audio track to analog anywhere in the process, or is the multichannel PCM signal digital from start to finish?

post #49 of 90 Old 03-06-07, 07:02 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Quote:
Is the HD DVD player converting the high definition digital audio track to analog anywhere in the process, or is the multichannel PCM signal digital from start to finish?
It is my understanding that the audio stays in the digital domain throughout. PCM can be manipulated by the audio DSP's.
post #50 of 90 Old 03-06-07, 07:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
Wayne wrote:
Maybe not. It did smooth response above 3 kHz quite a bit. The SBS-01s are on the bright side, so it may be that they needed a little taming in Sonnie’s room. I think I’d leave the EQ alone, and instead dial up the treble control if more highs are needed, which would increase them while maintaining the improved response.
I dunno, those definitely don't look bright in his room, that looks prety laid back to me (~16db down from the average at 20khz). The auto EQ may have smoothed it a bit, but it smoothed it while further increasing the rolloff. That's a lot of top end detail being lost out on. Everyone has different sound characteristic preferences though, and Sonnie may prefer a rolled off top end.