Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Yamaha RX-V1700 Receiver / RX-V2700 Receiver - Official Owners Thread

48K views 89 replies 14 participants last post by  Eric Rhodes 
#1 ·
I figured we may as well start up an official owners thread for the Yamaha RX-V1700 and RX-V2700 Receivers.

Rodny and I both ordered up the V1700 today.

If you own either, please let us all know and maybe share with us what you like, pros, cons, etc.

If you don't mind, let us know what speakers you are running with the unit.

Thanks!

Main Features:
  • 7-channel 910W powerful surround sound
    (130W x 7)
  • Digital ToP-ART with extremely high quality parts and devices used throughout
  • Pure Direct for higher fidelity sound reproduction
  • 2 in/1 out HDMI (ver. 1.2a) for handling digital signals including Super Audio CD
  • Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection
Advanced Features:
  • iPod song titles displayed on front panel and on-screen display (multi-language compatible)
  • Improved YPAO sound optimization
  • Superior zone control with additional zone remote unit
High Picture Quality:
  • 1080p compatible HDMI (2 in/1 out)
  • video up-conversion to HDMI
  • De-interlacing (480i to 480p)
  • Wide-range component video bandwidth
    (100MHz -3 dB, 1080p compatibility)
Surround Realism:
  • CINEMA DSP with 23 DSP programs
  • Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES 96/24 compatibility
Other Features:
  • Audio Delay for adjusting lip-sync (0–240 ms)
  • Dialogue Lift for dialogue to screen center
  • Selectable 9-band subwoofer crossover frequencies
  • Subwoofer Phase Select
  • Night Listening Enhancer ensures can be heard clearly at low volumes
  • SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP
  • iPod song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel and on-screen display
  • Detachable power cable
  • Extended remote control codes
  • Remote terminal for Zone 2 or Zone 3
  • Dual programable +12V trigger outputs

See less See more
#2 ·
I have couple of ???s........

What is the best set up, 7.1 with SB or 7.1 with presence speaker?
My setup now is 7.1 SB.
Do you think the presence speakers will make my stage better?
If I go with the presence setup I can bi-amp my mains.:bigsmile:.
Doing the 7.1 SB I can use the presence output for my 3rd zone.
What you guys think??:dumbcrazy:

#5 ·

The presence channels are actually great for Yamaha’s music DSP modes. I’ve used ours both with and without the presence speakers, and they definitely make an audible difference. Unlike most manufacturers, Yamaha’s DSP modes are modeled on actual venues, to mimic the acoustics of a concert hall, stadium, etc. If you like concert videos (and I know you do!) you can get a more enjoyable experience if y our HT “sounds” like the big auditorium, or small jazz club, that you’re “seeing” them in.

That said, I’ve only used the DSPs with Yamaha’s top-of-the-line models, and our dated flagship which is over 10 years old now. Back then the lower-line models I heard, they sounded cheesy. But I expect by this time the technology from the old flagships has trickled down to the lower models. It sure can’t hurt to hook them up and see what you get.

Regards,
Wayne

#7 ·
The presence channels are helpful. I've used them with my older Yamaha RX-V1.

The new 10.2 format that Tom Holman (THX Developer) is preparing for as a next generation format has not more rear or side speakers, but more front channel speakers. Hence, I think the front stage is where it's at for improving movie soundtrack realism.

#8 ·
I got the V1700 all connected and setup last night and today. I must say at first listen I am surprised at how laid back and warm this receiver sounds with the SVS SBS-01 system. I love the sound... :T If it were not for the sound I firmly believe I would sell it because of all the other nick picky things I find bothersome.

Setup went fairly easy, although navigating the menu was aggravating at times with no "Return" or "Back" button to get you back to where you were previously. I found myself having to exit completely out of the Menu and go back in to go to some other settings... really poorly arranged IMO.

Auto setup was of course about what I expected and what I've seen with many other receivers. It never gets the Large/Small setting on the speakers right, setting the SBS-01 speakers to Large. The sub distance was way off, although the manual did state this could happen, but I don't buy it.

I found I had to set the levels almost at max to get to my listening level while the receiver is set to -10 on the volume. Had I left it where the auto setup had it, I would be at +10 before it was getting loud enough.

Fortunately we only have to get it setup once with maybe some minor adjustments and we are done with the Menu, or at least I think most users would be.

One other minor gripe is the volume level numbers are teenie weenie and there is no way to read them from my listening position. I wish they had made those numbers much bigger or allow it to pop-up on the screen all the time like it does when you are adjusting it in the Menu.

I still plan on testing the Auto-EQ to see how it performs.

#9 ·
Setup went fairly easy, although navigating the menu was aggravating at times with no "Return" or "Back" button to get you back to where you were previously. I found myself having to exit completely out of the Menu and go back in to go to some other settings... really poorly arranged IMO.
"return" button, left side mid ways "XM MEMORY":nerd:

Electronic device Technology Electronics Remote control Gadget

#15 ·
I was previously using the Maestro M2 with an Earthquake Cinenova Grande. The sound was more neutral with those in play with the SBS-01's. The JBL Northridge speakers started out fairly bright, but mellowed down somewhat after several hours of play.

I guess since I've read several places where Yamaha was on the brighter side that I was expecting a bright sound, but I have been pleasantly surprised. This unit actually reminds me of my old McIntosh gear.

#16 ·
I guess since I've read several places where Yamaha was on the brighter side that I was expecting a bright sound, but I have been pleasantly surprised. This unit actually reminds me of my old McIntosh gear.

I had a Yamaha DSP-A3090 before I got my Denon 3803, and the Yamaha definately had a brighter sound than the Denon. I have heard from a few different sources lately that the new Yamahas have a warm sound. I was thinking you had a Denon for some reason, I was interested in a comparison between the two.

Hakka.

#22 ·
The "Straight" button disables the internal DSP (so no DD PLIIx to make 7.1 out of 5.1). Try not using it. Selecting the DVD audio input on the Yamaha should do an "auto" select to use the linear Multichannel PCM HDMI audio input without using the "Straight" button. I'm just extrapolating from what my RX-V2500 does (no HDMI) with the S/PDIF digital versus two channel analog with its auto select of the best input for a given selection.

#25 ·
Sonnie said:
although navigating the menu was aggravating at times with no "Return" or "Back" button to get you back to where you were previously. I found myself having to exit completely out of the Menu and go back in to go to some other settings... really poorly arranged IMO.
Assuming it's the same as my 5890, all you do is press up or down at the top or bottom of the list (respectively) and it takes you right back to the previous menu screen. For instance, if you are into the menu system with something generic like:

..A
.....Left
.....Right
.....Center
.....etc

and you want to get back to level A, just keep pressing up until you get back to Left and then press up again and you're back in A. Does that make sense? I find it makes navigation really easy because you only have to use up, down, left, and right the whole time. Other receivers I've played with have buttons for every minor task and it becomes ridiculous.

Sonnie said:
I found I had to set the levels almost at max to get to my listening level while the receiver is set to -10 on the volume. Had I left it where the auto setup had it, I would be at +10 before it was getting loud enough.
Is this calibrated to reference or just generically basing it on -10 should be "loud"? With Yamaha test tones, you calibrate each channel to 75db when master volume is at 0.

Sonnie said:
One other minor gripe is the volume level numbers are teenie weenie and there is no way to read them from my listening position. I wish they had made those numbers much bigger or allow it to pop-up on the screen all the time like it does when you are adjusting it in the Menu.
Unless the 1700 is different from the 5890 again, the MV does pop up on screen when you are using the video input the menu is set on. Additionally, whatever is displayed on the receiver pannel (THX, Standard, Pro Logic IIx, etc) changes to display the master volume when adjusting the volume.

#26 ·
Assuming it's the same as my 5890, all you do is press up or down at the top or bottom of the list (respectively) and it takes you right back to the previous menu screen.
Mine doesn't do that. Pressing Up or Down keeps rotating through the same screen.

Is this calibrated to reference or just generically basing it on -10 should be "loud"? With Yamaha test tones, you calibrate each channel to 75db when master volume is at 0.
-10 is generally where I listen on my other units... just a reference for me.

I didn't read this about the master volume at 0 in the manual, but maybe I should try it and see what happens.

Unless the 1700 is different from the 5890 again, the MV does pop up on screen when you are using the video input the menu is set on. Additionally, whatever is displayed on the receiver pannel (THX, Standard, Pro Logic IIx, etc) changes to display the master volume when adjusting the volume.
I'm not sure what you mean by "video input the menu is set on". :scratch: The only video connection I have is HDMI so the OSD is using HDMI to show on my screen.

I'm thinking they must be different because nothing changes on the front of my unit when changing volumes. Unless there is somewhere I can tell it to do this and just haven't figured it out or read it in the manual yet. :huh:

#27 ·
Sonnie said:
Mine doesn't do that. Pressing Up or Down keeps rotating through the same screen.
Well that's no good....:scratch: Maybe they redid the menu system.

The only video connection I have is HDMI so the OSD is using HDMI to show on my screen.

I'm thinking they must be different because nothing changes on the front of my unit when changing volumes.
So when your projector is using the HDMI input, and you change the master volume, it shows up on neither the screen nor on the front pannel of the receiver display? :blink: That's odd. That should be default, but I'd imagine there has to be a way to turn that on.

#28 ·

So when your projector is using the HDMI input, and you change the master volume, it shows up on neither the screen nor on the front pannel of the receiver display?
Mine's like yours - pushing a button shows the action on both the front-panel display and the OSD. Guess they’ve changed that – bad move, especially with the iddy-biddy volume numbers... From what I see in the manual, the short OSD display only shows what’s on the front panel – which I guess is a static “Dolby Digital,” “Pro Logic,” etc. :(

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

#33 ·
I did some more tinkering and reading... no new news and no good news... same ole stuff.

I measured my non-eq'd response and my PEQ response tonight:

Blue = Non-EQ
Red = PEQ

Doesn't seem to do a whole lot really, except roll off the high end.

I'm really disappointed with the functionality of this unit. Yamaha has really dropped the ball IMO. Even though I like the sound, I still may sell it and go back to Denon.

#37 ·
Hey that sounds like a source problem and not the AVR. Is the source set to output bitstream on HDMI for standard DVDs? Like the AUTO setting for HDMI on the Toshiba HD DVD players.

I doubt that there is such a thing as a HDMI 1.3 only cable. Any HDMI cable should work.

#35 ·
The Toshiba DVD is sending DD, DTS, etc...... the receiver is not recognizing the signal thru HDMI, it could be the cable!! DVD player is 1.3 and the receiver is 1.2:dontknow: the receiver just cant read the info thru the HDMI, maybe using the digital input!!!:scratch::wits-end:
Hey Sonnie is your cable 1.3???

#43 ·
I don't know... MPCM is Multi PCM, so maybe that's what it's supposed to be showing. We need to test some SD DVDs and see what happens with them. I might also hook up a digital cable just to see what happens.

I'm thinking along the same line as Bob.... I don't think there is a 1.3 only cable. I don't think this is the issue, but I've been wrong an awful lot in my life time. :sarcastic:

#38 ·
Sonnie, that's a pretty nice overall FR before PEQ :clap: If you were somehow able to boost the 60-150hz range a bit, I think you would find a nice improvement in percieved bass sound quality :nerd:

Sounds like the 1700 is nothing but problems. From my point of view, I'm not interested in carrying audio/video over a single cable and won't be until the industry absolutely forces me to. That issue aside, it still sounds like there are problems. As I mentioned before, every receiver has its own idiosyncracies, and it seems that the ones in this unit are pretty annoying. If you were pleased with the Denon, I wouldn't hesitate to go back. The job of a receiver is to simplify things, not compound them :T

#40 ·
I wuold be interested to see a graph comparing 'straight' mode to one of the cinema DSP modes, I've heard the DSP modes add some boost in the bass frequencies on the newer AVRs.

As Bob mentioned, check the Toshiba to see if DD/DTS bitstream is set to HDMI, I'm guessing its set to SPDIF at the moment.

Harry.

#47 ·

Sonnie, one more thing. You should be able to manually adjust the EQ - I'd cancel auto EQ (it's hurting, not helping)
Maybe not. It did smooth response above 3 kHz quite a bit. The SBS-01s are on the bright side, so it may be that they needed a little taming in Sonnie’s room. I think I’d leave the EQ alone, and instead dial up the treble control if more highs are needed, which would increase them while maintaining the improved response.

I'm really disappointed with the functionality of this unit. Yamaha has really dropped the ball IMO. Even though I like the sound, I still may sell it and go back to Denon.
What a disappointment. I helped some friends set up an RX-V1600 just a year ago, and I was pretty impressed with it – had a lot of improvements over my old DSP-A3090. It was the first one with HDMI, and it worked fine with their DVD player and TV. I was impressed with how easy the remote was to operate and program. I was also impressed with the manual (if you want to see a dreadful manual, check Harmon Kardon. None of the helpful pictures that Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer et. al use – just a dreary and tedious sea of black ink and small fonts, and you have to constantly refer to the pictures way back at the front of the book..)

Looking at the picture of it on Yamaha’s website I see the 1600 also has the tiny volume numbers – I really didn’t notice that at the time. I think that would aggravate me as well. :(

Regards,
Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.