Yamaha RX-V1700 Receiver / RX-V2700 Receiver - Official Owners Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 90 Old 02-19-07, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Yamaha RX-V1700 Receiver / RX-V2700 Receiver - Official Owners Thread

I figured we may as well start up an official owners thread for the Yamaha RX-V1700 and RX-V2700 Receivers.

Rodny and I both ordered up the V1700 today.

If you own either, please let us all know and maybe share with us what you like, pros, cons, etc.

If you don't mind, let us know what speakers you are running with the unit.

Thanks!

Main Features:
  • 7-channel 910W powerful surround sound
    (130W x 7)
  • Digital ToP-ART with extremely high quality parts and devices used throughout
  • Pure Direct for higher fidelity sound reproduction
  • 2 in/1 out HDMI (ver. 1.2a) for handling digital signals including Super Audio CD
  • Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection
Advanced Features:
  • iPod song titles displayed on front panel and on-screen display (multi-language compatible)
  • Improved YPAO sound optimization
  • Superior zone control with additional zone remote unit
High Picture Quality:
  • 1080p compatible HDMI (2 in/1 out)
  • video up-conversion to HDMI
  • De-interlacing (480i to 480p)
  • Wide-range component video bandwidth
    (100MHz -3 dB, 1080p compatibility)
Surround Realism:
  • CINEMA DSP with 23 DSP programs
  • Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES 96/24 compatibility
Other Features:
  • Audio Delay for adjusting lip-sync (0–240 ms)
  • Dialogue Lift for dialogue to screen center
  • Selectable 9-band subwoofer crossover frequencies
  • Subwoofer Phase Select
  • Night Listening Enhancer ensures can be heard clearly at low volumes
  • SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP
  • iPod song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel and on-screen display
  • Detachable power cable
  • Extended remote control codes
  • Remote terminal for Zone 2 or Zone 3
  • Dual programable +12V trigger outputs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 02-19-07, 10:16 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Re: Yamaha RX-V1700 Receiver / RX-V2700 Receiver - Official Owners Thread

I have couple of ???s........

What is the best set up, 7.1 with SB or 7.1 with presence speaker?
My setup now is 7.1 SB.
Do you think the presence speakers will make my stage better?
If I go with the presence setup I can bi-amp my mains..
Doing the 7.1 SB I can use the presence output for my 3rd zone.
What you guys think??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 90 Old 02-20-07, 12:57 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

In movies that put surrounds to good use, I noticed a very nice and noticable improvement in my surround space by using rears. PLIIx layering on top of DD or DTS is without a doubt my preferred movie playback style. If your LCR already provide a nice large soundstage, I can only see presence channels hurting.

post #4 of 90 Old 02-20-07, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I agree with SteveCallas about the presence channels. Your room has a small width and I couldn't see it helping... nor in mine. If my HT shared my great room, then I see it being an asset.
post #5 of 90 Old 02-23-07, 12:18 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

The presence channels are actually great for Yamaha’s music DSP modes. I’ve used ours both with and without the presence speakers, and they definitely make an audible difference. Unlike most manufacturers, Yamaha’s DSP modes are modeled on actual venues, to mimic the acoustics of a concert hall, stadium, etc. If you like concert videos (and I know you do!) you can get a more enjoyable experience if y our HT “sounds” like the big auditorium, or small jazz club, that you’re “seeing” them in.

That said, I’ve only used the DSPs with Yamaha’s top-of-the-line models, and our dated flagship which is over 10 years old now. Back then the lower-line models I heard, they sounded cheesy. But I expect by this time the technology from the old flagships has trickled down to the lower models. It sure can’t hurt to hook them up and see what you get.

Regards,
Wayne
post #6 of 90 Old 02-23-07, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

When I first started this hobby I had a Yamaha DSP100 that had several DSP modes. I used front effects speakers for years with no center.
post #7 of 90 Old 03-01-07, 08:26 PM
Senior Shackster
HionHiFi

My System
Send a message via AIM to HionHiFi Send a message via Yahoo to HionHiFi Send a message via Skype™ to HionHiFi

The presence channels are helpful. I've used them with my older Yamaha RX-V1.

The new 10.2 format that Tom Holman (THX Developer) is preparing for as a next generation format has not more rear or side speakers, but more front channel speakers. Hence, I think the front stage is where it's at for improving movie soundtrack realism.
post #8 of 90 Old 03-03-07, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I got the V1700 all connected and setup last night and today. I must say at first listen I am surprised at how laid back and warm this receiver sounds with the SVS SBS-01 system. I love the sound... If it were not for the sound I firmly believe I would sell it because of all the other nick picky things I find bothersome.

Setup went fairly easy, although navigating the menu was aggravating at times with no "Return" or "Back" button to get you back to where you were previously. I found myself having to exit completely out of the Menu and go back in to go to some other settings... really poorly arranged IMO.

Auto setup was of course about what I expected and what I've seen with many other receivers. It never gets the Large/Small setting on the speakers right, setting the SBS-01 speakers to Large. The sub distance was way off, although the manual did state this could happen, but I don't buy it.

I found I had to set the levels almost at max to get to my listening level while the receiver is set to -10 on the volume. Had I left it where the auto setup had it, I would be at +10 before it was getting loud enough.

Fortunately we only have to get it setup once with maybe some minor adjustments and we are done with the Menu, or at least I think most users would be.

One other minor gripe is the volume level numbers are teenie weenie and there is no way to read them from my listening position. I wish they had made those numbers much bigger or allow it to pop-up on the screen all the time like it does when you are adjusting it in the Menu.

I still plan on testing the Auto-EQ to see how it performs.
post #9 of 90 Old 03-04-07, 10:21 AM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Setup went fairly easy, although navigating the menu was aggravating at times with no "Return" or "Back" button to get you back to where you were previously. I found myself having to exit completely out of the Menu and go back in to go to some other settings... really poorly arranged IMO.
"return" button, left side mid ways "XM MEMORY"

Yamaha RX-V1700 Receiver / RX-V2700 Receiver - Official Owners Thread-remote-001.gif

post #10 of 90 Old 03-04-07, 06:11 PM
Senior Shackster

mike

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...?pName=rxv2700

differences between the 2700 and 1700 based on the chart

sorta important:
one more HDMI in

is this important?:
upscaling
more power
YPAO 6 memories
OSD GUI

even the carebears don't care:
network function
USB input
zone 2 and 3 video et al

Mike C