Onkyo 3007 12v trigger for Zone 1? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 12-28-10, 11:01 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Re: Onkyo 3007 12v trigger for Zone 1?

Kinda funny but i feel the same way when powering up or down my equipment, i always have in the back of my head when i fire everything back up "whats not gonna turn back on?". I would keep everything on but for some reason i have this "Going Green" thing happining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 12-29-10, 06:48 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

My Panamax power unit has a current meter on it. My amp (Outlaw 5x200W) draws .5A while sitting idle. That's just 60W heating the room. I was hoping it would be lower so I could just leave it on, but alas, not the case.

As for triggering, you have some options.

One: some power boxes have an AC plug that you can plug into the switched outlet on the receiver which can then activate the amp bank, or selectable banks. Panamax and Monster have units with this feature.

Two: same switched outlet port, but instead get a 12V switching power supply and either strip bare wire (if you have lug terminals) or you'd have to solder on a Tip-Ring-Sleeve connector (or Tip-Sleeve) to match what the Emotiva takes as its trigger input.

Finally: Some power blocks have an IR control to swtich on the amp banks. You would need to have a macro remote and set it up, but it is possible.

Best of luck!
post #13 of 18 Old 12-29-10, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
SGA

Well... no love from the 3007 - at least, no 12V trigger for Zone 1. There's nothing in any of the user menus or the manual that shows if/how you can assign the triggers to Zone 1. I did some quick web research and found many have the same issue and typically work around this by using a switched outlet on a smart power strip or power conditioner (the 3007 does not have a switched outlet built in) and a 12VDC wall wart modified with a 1/8" pin connector. I doubt I'll spend money on a smart power strip just for this feature, but whenever I get a decent secondary surge protector (I have good whole home surge protection now), I will look for this feature and "repurpose" one of my old 6-12V adapters.

In the meantime, there are a couple of other options not previously mentioned:
  1. Use the assignable 12V trigger on my PJ to turn on the amp whenever the projector is on, which would mean I'd only need to manually turn on whenever I am just listening to CD's.
  2. Use the Zone 2 trigger and turn on Zone 2 whenever I use the receiver to power up the amp. I don't like the idea of turning on another amp circuit just to use the trigger though I am not sure there are really any problems with this.

Or, I can just turn on the amp manually. Since I'll need to go to the AV rack 80-90% of the time anyway to pop in a CD or Blu-Ray, this isn't a big deal. The main thing is getting the wife and son to remember to turn it off when they're done.

Thanks for the input!

Regards,
sga2

post #14 of 18 Old 03-05-11, 02:26 AM
Shackster

Jon

One thing I have heard is to make sure you are using a mono cable, then manually turn on the AVR, manually turn on the xpa3 then turn off the AVR, and it should turn off the xpa3, this should sync the two.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-05-11, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
SGA

Quote:
caliberconst. wrote: View Post
One thing I have heard is to make sure you are using a mono cable, then manually turn on the AVR, manually turn on the xpa3 then turn off the AVR, and it should turn off the xpa3, this should sync the two.
I assume you mean a mono cable for the signal connection in lieu of an XLR cable? That's how I have it connected to the AVR now. I'll see if this trick works and post.

Regards,
sga2
post #16 of 18 Old 07-02-11, 12:33 PM
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
sga2 wrote: View Post
I assume you mean a mono cable for the signal connection in lieu of an XLR cable? That's how I have it connected to the AVR now. I'll see if this trick works and post.
So did the trick work??

Quote:
sga2 wrote:
I did some quick web research and found many have the same issue and typically work around this by using a switched outlet on a smart power strip or power conditioner (the 3007 does not have a switched outlet built in) and a 12VDC wall wart modified with a 1/8" pin connector.
I tried an old 9v wall wart I had laying around (amp trigger input is rated to accept "5v-12v"), no joy when connecting the single mono plug bare wire to either of the bare wire wall wart leads. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone?

I already own the smart power strip for activating out-board cooling of the toaster that is the onkyo, but wondering why this wall wart didnt work

Did you find specific modifying instructions for the wall wart? Ironic gettting this to work still wont be ideal as powering on zone 2 or 3 will power on the amp for zone 1. Suppose I could get a second smart strip but wow royal pita, thanks onkyo....
post #17 of 18 Old 07-03-11, 02:10 PM
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
TypeA wrote: View Post

I tried an old 9v wall wart I had laying around (amp trigger input is rated to accept "5v-12v"), no joy when connecting the single mono plug bare wire to either of the bare wire wall wart leads. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone?
Im happy to report that Im a complete moron.

I had wrongly assumed a mono cable only has one wire within the jacket. After painstakingly stripping off the outer covering I discovered the two wires and my 9v 300mA wall wart/mono cable now works great as a trigger.

Only remaining issue is having this wall wart/trigger plugged into the same smart strip, within the next month or so Ill be adding a second xpa 5 for zone 2 and 3 (ironically enough these zones have triggers on the 3007) and I wont like these zones powering on both xpa-5 amps. Complications complications....
post #18 of 18 Old 07-03-11, 02:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Tyler,
Much better to briefly be a "moron" of which you are the complete antithesis of than to have a true issue. So glad it was something like that.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910