A good receiver for Harman Kardon HKTS 60? - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 55 Old 06-17-11, 03:46 AM
Shackster

Exclamation Re: A good receiver for Harman Kardon HKTS 60?

Hi, I'm pretty new at buying home theatre systems, but I do the best by researching. I have confirmed my choice in buying the Harmon Kardon HKTS60 and originally looked on this site to see if the Pioneer VSX-1020-K was going to be good receiver for it. I wanted to know if that receiver would be the best overall for the money and features. I will not be getting a 3D TV so I will not need the 3D audio input. Just wanted to know if the VSX-1020 will have the power in order to get good quality out of the speakers and sub. I want to know anybody's opinion on how this system will sound and if the receiver is good enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 Old 06-17-11, 01:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: A good receiver for Harman Kardon HKTS 60?

Hello,
Welcome to HTS. After looking at your Speaker Package, it appears that the Speakers are 86db Efficient which is a bit lower than average. They are however rated at 8 Ohms which means they should not be very taxing on the partnering AVR in that respect. However, you will have to raise the Volume and raise the Speaker Levels higher than more efficient Speakers like Klipsch.

What is the maximum amount you feel comfortable spending? I might steer clear of the Pioneer as when the VSX-1019 was Bench Tested, it only output 28.7 Watts into 5 Channels when Reviewed by Home Theater Magazine.
Cheers,
JJ
'

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #43 of 55 Old 06-17-11, 03:18 PM
Shackster

Okay. So wat receiver do u suggest? A yamaha or denon?

post #44 of 55 Old 06-17-11, 03:19 PM
Shackster

Or should I get the matching AVR-2600?
post #45 of 55 Old 06-17-11, 08:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
Hoframbo11 wrote: View Post
Okay. So wat receiver do u suggest? A yamaha or denon?
Hello,
It you could possibly give a rough estimate of what you feel comfortable spending, it would make it much easier to provide you with options.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
post #46 of 55 Old 06-18-11, 05:31 AM
Shackster

I'm planning to build a quality home theatre system with about 1,200, give or take. I have infinity speakers in my car and like infinity as a quality brand for the prize. I also saw that the Harmon Kardon HKTS 60 got rated very good. On Amazon it is about $818. Before finding about the HKTS 60 I was looking into the TSS-1200. On Amazon it was running for $500 and I really liked the styling of it for the room I'm planning to have it in. I'm also planning to include the pair of stands for either system. Is the HKTS 60 with CMMD technology worth the extra $300 over the TSS-1200?
post #47 of 55 Old 06-18-11, 05:33 AM
Shackster

I am looking for a system that will be small enough to not overwhelm the room, unless the towers look really stylish. I have a wife that wants a stylish system that won't clash with the room.
post #48 of 55 Old 06-18-11, 05:45 AM
Shackster

Basically looking for a quality yet stylish system that will keep me and the wife happy. Looking to buy just the speakers, sub, satelite stands, and the receiver.
post #49 of 55 Old 06-18-11, 09:05 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
The Ininity Primus Speakers have garnered excellent Reviews and many here use them. The Monitor Sized P162 costs 84.99 Each on sale:http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P162...le.html?tp=186

Add the matching Center Channel (a newer Model, but still huge savings):http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu.../dp/B000M687JI

For a Subwoofer, the Dayton Sub120 is an amazing value and countless folks have chosen it: http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-SUB-120.../dp/B000C9NV78

So for around 650 Dollars you would have a more capable Speaker System for about 200 Dollars less.

For an AVR, I would seriously consider the Yamaha Avantage RX-A800 from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882115274
Note this product comes with a 250 Dollar Promotional Gift until the 19th. Yamaha's Avantage Line really has been a major upgrade in my opinion and they really seem to be building trouble free AVR's.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
post #50 of 55 Old 06-19-11, 01:27 AM
Shackster

okay. I appreciate the help. But I narrowed my options down to the Infinity TSS-1200 or the Harmon Kardon HTKS 60. I really like the MMD and CMMD technology that both have and want a clean, clear, crisp system. Want to know if the HTKS 60 is worth the extra $300 or so over the TSS-1200. Both will complement my interior and not take up much space. And also, which receiver would be the best, but not in the $700 range. I really like the pioneer receiver and if I went with the TSS-1200 would a VSX-1020 work for it? and if I went with the HTKS 60 would a Pioneer Elite Receiver work?