A good receiver for Harman Kardon HKTS 60? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 55 Old 01-12-11, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

A good receiver for Harman Kardon HKTS 60?

Hello there, happy new year

A question, ive just bought a Sony STR DN610 receiver, witch actually sounded worse than my previous. I also bought Harmon Kardon HKTS 20 speaker set to go with the sony, and it sounded oki. I then replaised the HKTS 20 with HKTS 60, and the sound got worse. The mid is somewhat to much, so voices are hard to hear. The HKTS 20 had around 20 play hores, while the HKTS only have had 6 or so. Would they get better? Or is it just the receiver? Well, my next question. I would like to buy a better receiver, and one that goes good with the HKTS 60's. The speakers are 8 OHM, would a receiver with 8 OHM be a better coice for them than a receiver with 6 OHM? My choices are:

Onkyo - 608 (6 ohm)
Pioneer - VSX-820-K
Denon - AVR1911
Yamaha RX-V767

What would you choose if you were me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 01-12-11, 01:31 PM
Shackster

Re: A good receiver for Harman Kardon HKTS 60?

Hey Matt, i am just about to pick up the HKTS 60 and a Yamaha rxv667 this week. I am worried however from what you say is going on.

Is there some setup that needs to be done? Does the Sony reciever have something to setup the speakers automatticaly with a mic?

Please let me know what happens I was going to buy my reciever today and order the HKTS60 speakers.

Thanks..

Last edited by scorpio182; 01-12-11 at 02:27 PM.
post #3 of 55 Old 01-12-11, 02:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Hi guys, I know that we have som Sony lovers on this site but I am going to say it anyways:
Sony does not make a good receiver for the money. They excel in displays, BluRay players, PS3 and some other areas but receivers they are the worst of the big players.
Any of the 4 you list above will work just fine I highly recommend looking at Accessories4less and spend as much as you can on a receiver.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 55 Old 01-12-11, 02:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I would go with the TX-SR608. This Model marks a departure in Onkyo's 600 Series where it now offers THX Post Processing and due to needing to meet THX Certification has a more powerful amplifier section than past 600 Series. The one thing I like better about the Denon is that it offers Audyssey MultEQ as opposed to the 2EQ used on the 608.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #5 of 55 Old 01-12-11, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hey there. Well, ill let you know. But it does sound better now, ive turned the bass boost off on the subwoofer, the voice are now clearer. However, some dvds sound exelent and blue rays too, and some sounds too thick. And when i say exelent i really mean EXELENT. Listening to music they are awsome. I dont think you should worrie to much, just dont get a sony receiver. I could return the speakers as i have 1 more week to try them, however, ive desided to keep them and instead go for another receiver, maby the one you are thinking of.
post #6 of 55 Old 01-12-11, 02:21 PM
Shackster

Good to hear things are working out. I have been on the fence to spend the extra money on the HKTS60 from the 20. From trying them both would you say the 60 is worth the price compared to the hkts20?

Thanks,
post #7 of 55 Old 01-12-11, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

To be honest? No, i dont think the HKTS are much better than the 20's, maby abit when playing music. Listening to movies i really cant hear any difference after switching th ebass boost off (witch i also did on the 20's, but forgot doing on the 60). I might return the 60 and spend the left over money on a better receiver. But then again, this sony receiver are sounds like , even compared to my old receiver. So for all i know the 60's would ound awsome on another amp. They did win the EISA award, and got another great review in HIFITEST.DE. The last test are written in german, so i used google translate to read it, and they were very happy with the sound. Another thing, i cant adjust the mid level on the sony, only the bass and treble.
post #8 of 55 Old 01-12-11, 02:47 PM
Shackster

Awesome thanks for the info. I to have been looking at these a while and been trying to get some reviews on the 60's and there are none. I did find the EISA awards which made me feel good about them. I also emailed harman and asked them and of course they recommended the 60's for being the best and closer then the 20/30 to real standing speakers.

The jump from 20 to 60hkts is about $400CAN for me so it's pretty much double. I can maybe go for the 30hkts and use the extra $200 and get a harmon avr 2600 reciever to match.

I have been doing some non-stop research several hours a day to trying to get a good match.

I can't help but think the 20's would be just fine(in my 12x15 room) but one is always tempted to spend more for better...haha

Keep me updated on what you do.
post #9 of 55 Old 01-12-11, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hey again mate. The HKTS 30 would be great for sure, and i know the HKTS 20 were good. Like you i spent many houres a day researching speakers, and HK seemed like the best deal. And i love the looks, and trust me on this, in real life they are absolutly stunning. I cant top looking at them lol.
So you wanna go for the HK receiver? Well, im in your boat too, looking for a receiver to go along with thi speakers. However, i dont lik ethe looks of th HK receivers :P I want them to be all black to match the speakers and tv etc. I know its childish to have such thoughts, but i need to have the looks too hehe. Im looking at receivers as we speak. Any thoughts?
post #10 of 55 Old 01-12-11, 03:14 PM
Shackster

I feel the same way about these Harmons they look awesome!!! My bro-in-law has the HKTS15 with the AVR2600 and it sounds pretty good (2 years old now).

I would like to have the HK reciever but I find it's over priced and features are a bit lacking. I am currently all ready to buy the Yamaha RXV667(on sale) (typoo before I said 677) it's got great features and is all black haha.. It's gotten great reviews from many sites, google it.

I have a budget and the yamaha above and hkts60 is right in the range. Also with my researching i have foudn people saying one should spend more on speakers then the reciever. About a 65-70% on speakers and the rest on the reciever.

You going to stick with the HKTS60 speakers???