Need New Preamp/Processor - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 22 Old 01-21-11, 10:33 AM
Senior Shackster

Re: Need New Preamp/Processor

Look at the Marantz AV-7005 as it is the next lowest cost pre-amp and provides tremendous performance. I would have to look and see what the draw is as I haven't bothered to look into that. I have used both the UMC-1 and the AV-7005 and the AV-7005 is better, but it should be at more than double the cost. That said I was happy with my time with the UMC-1 other than a few small bugs which all should be able to finally be worked out via firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 01-23-11, 06:30 PM
Lee

I would also suggest the Onkyo 5508. I just got it and am loving it more everyday. Check it out. Pm me for price and where to get.
post #13 of 22 Old 01-23-11, 07:04 PM
Senior Shackster
koyaan

My System

I disagree with the majority on the need for surround processing modes, The synthetic rear channel sund leaves me unimpressed. I generally use the 7.1 analog outs from my disc player even with 5.1 DVDs.
I'd go with the Emotiva pre-pro.

post #14 of 22 Old 01-23-11, 07:48 PM
Shackster
Karl

Leaving surround processing out of the equation. Another thing to think about is room equalization.
I don't want to get off topic; but it is important for overall sound field.
I'm personally using audyssey and have used Trinnov in the past year with a Sherwood Newcastle R-972. I've set up Yamaha's YPAO and Pioneer's MCACC. I'm not going to get into what I think is best. Just that they are necessary for proper room surround imaging.
Emotiva just can't offer this in there Pre-amp. Although they use there own equalization system; I don't believe it comes close to the other manufacturers. Just watching Emotiva's video of a set-up of a UMC-1 will confirm it's short comings.
For the money I love Emotiva's amps. They are however an inexpensive product and I'm not sure yet about there longevity. I had a blue led stop working on my XPA-5 after 3 months.....It still works great though!

Stick with a major manufacturer for your pre-amp.
Another thing to consider is HDMI switching.
Some manufacturer just plain have this figured out better than others.
Yamaha probable does this the best!
Integra is loud; but works. Not sure about Onkyo?
Sherwood Newcastle was hit and miss with my set-up!
Pioneer seems to play nice with others!
Not sure about UMC-1 and how it will HDMI hand shake with other products?

Just some other thoughts to think about!

Integra DHC 80.1, Pioneer BDP-23FD,Cisco Explorer 8642HD,Universal remote MSC-400 MX-5000,Emotiva XPA-5,Panasonic PT-AE4000, PSB Silver stratus, PSB C6 stratus center, Mission 700,Panamax MB1500, Xbox 360 elite.
post #15 of 22 Old 01-31-11, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Adam

So i've spent time researching all kinds of options.

Onkyo TX-NR3008, and 5008. - Nice receiver, i don't want/need/care about the amp section, so the power draw is rather large. It seems to have all the options as well as Audyssey XT32, but heres the kicker. NO SPDIF output! so how am i going to get this to my Behringer DCX in the digital stage, if it doesnt have spdif. (i would have taken coaxial or optical!) Due to this, these are no longer being considered. I LOVE the idea of audyssey XT32, with SUB EQ HT!

Onkyo -SC5508 - SAME SPDIF PROBLEM! GRR!

Marantz AV7005 - This seems to be the best candidate. Its got an optical out. it has the least power draw at 60w, has balanced xlr and unbalanced outs (this is a bonus), all the surround modes, and it happens to be one of the nicest looking units i've been looking at, i don't like that all onkyo receivers look the same.

Emotiva UMC-1 - Not even in the question. After the review Sonnie gave it, i won't touch it. I don't have an outboard EQ to deal with this units horrible bass management. Who in their right mind would have it sum the Equalized output for the subwoofer!?
(for anyone who wasnt paying attention, this means that if you've got 4 small speakers that can't play full range, they get eqed to try to play full range, and then get crossed over, and then all of the boosted signal gets summed, and then sent to the sub. This means that if you've got +3db per speakers at 50hz, then its going to give you a +12db at 50hz. Sonnie verified this is how it works. its dumb, but i guess theres a reason the unit is about half the price of the competetion, only half of it makes sense)

Integra only makes units similar to the onkyo.

So i'm pretty much tapping out all the resources i have.

Oh the note above about the sherwood r-972, how did you test that!? it never got released other than engineering samples... i know this because i really wanted to see trinnov in action, and i followed Outlaw who was making a separates setup with that technology and then sherwood basically screwed em over on it.
post #16 of 22 Old 01-31-11, 10:10 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Binary wrote: View Post
Oh the note above about the sherwood r-972, how did you test that!? it never got released other than engineering samples... i know this because i really wanted to see trinnov in action, and i followed Outlaw who was making a separates setup with that technology and then sherwood basically screwed em over on it.
See review here: http://www.stereophile.com/musicinth..._42/index.html

Kal Rubinson
post #17 of 22 Old 01-31-11, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Adam

I see the review, but I cant find the product. This is what led me to believe that it was only ever engineering samples that were sent out for review, but the rest of this product is vaporware. For a receiver that was first announced in 2008, it seems a little odd.
post #18 of 22 Old 01-31-11, 11:25 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
So i've spent time researching all kinds of options.

Onkyo TX-NR3008, and 5008. - Nice receiver, i don't want/need/care about the amp section, so the power draw is rather large. It seems to have all the options as well as Audyssey XT32, but heres the kicker. NO SPDIF output! so how am i going to get this to my Behringer DCX in the digital stage, if it doesnt have spdif. (i would have taken coaxial or optical!) Due to this, these are no longer being considered. I LOVE the idea of audyssey XT32, with SUB EQ HT!

Onkyo -SC5508 - SAME SPDIF PROBLEM! GRR!

Marantz AV7005 - This seems to be the best candidate. Its got an optical out. it has the least power draw at 60w, has balanced xlr and unbalanced outs (this is a bonus), all the surround modes, and it happens to be one of the nicest looking units i've been looking at, i don't like that all onkyo receivers look the same.

Emotiva UMC-1 - Not even in the question. After the review Sonnie gave it, i won't touch it. I don't have an outboard EQ to deal with this units horrible bass management. Who in their right mind would have it sum the Equalized output for the subwoofer!?
(for anyone who wasnt paying attention, this means that if you've got 4 small speakers that can't play full range, they get eqed to try to play full range, and then get crossed over, and then all of the boosted signal gets summed, and then sent to the sub. This means that if you've got +3db per speakers at 50hz, then its going to give you a +12db at 50hz. Sonnie verified this is how it works. its dumb, but i guess theres a reason the unit is about half the price of the competetion, only half of it makes sense)

Integra only makes units similar to the onkyo.

So i'm pretty much tapping out all the resources i have.

Hello,
You might want to look at the Denon AVR-4311. It offers a Preamp Only Mode where it turns off the Amplifier Stage and offers XT32. Moreover, I am pretty sure it offers a SPDIF Output. Just went to the Website and it does have an Optical Digital Output.

For a while there were some issues with video (purple rain), and Audio Dropouts, but the latest Firmware seems to have corrected all of these issues. With the Preamp Only Mode you get the Energy Savings just like from using an SSP and have an emergency backup if your amps go out.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #19 of 22 Old 01-31-11, 12:09 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
I see the review, but I cant find the product. This is what led me to believe that it was only ever engineering samples that were sent out for review, but the rest of this product is vaporware. For a receiver that was first announced in 2008, it seems a little odd.
Well, I do not know where one draws the line between distribution of samples and general release. There are people with them who have posted on various forums so I know they have been purchased at retail but they had too much time/trouble in being born and they seem to be hard to find.

Kal Rubinson
post #20 of 22 Old 01-31-11, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Adam

it is not uncommon for a manufacturer to use tighter tolerance parts on their "engineering samples" that get sent out for reviews, and then to reduce production cost after the unit is measured, they will cut tolerances to say 3% instead of 1%.

I'm going to have to look into the Denon, as i have experience with their AVRs and a few of the high end ones were good when i played with them. The ability to turn the amp section off = amazing! i would hope is a physical disconnect on the internals of the unit so that no power would just run through the sections for the sake of running through them, but doubt that it would be that way.

It really is too bad that no one can seem to make a set of separates that can match a stupid avr. I don't get it, the amp section must raise the production cost by 40% or more, but the units themselves have the same price tag as the receiver variants!?

Best example is onkyo, the receiver is CHEAPER than the pre, but the pre does NOTHING that the receiver doesnt... I'm not sure why having less items in a chassis, makes it cost more? anyone else confused? seems to me its more supply an demand, than actual production costs.