Need New Preamp/Processor - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 22 Old 01-17-11, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Adam

Need New Preamp/Processor

Okay, so heres the deal.

I recently changed out some of my electronics. I was previously running (and still am as a pre-amp) a Pioneer VSX-1015TX As my main AVR, but its out of date at this point, no HDMI, no coaxial out (only toslink), the receiver is THX select 2 rated, and can drive a 4 ohm load, as i've been running it on a pair of cerwin vega m100's. Its rated at 120w RMS/Channel, this was totally untrue. The receiver only pulled a maximum of 500w off the wall.

I'm moving onto an actively crossed over set of front towers, and as far as designs go, i can't say much, just that theyre roughly 100db efficient all the way down to 60hz. The amp i bought is twelve channels. So heres my list of requirements.

The Processor MUST have:
A minimum of 4 HDMI inputs, Two outputs would be a dream, but isnt required.
A Coaxial SPDIF out as i will be connecting this to a behringer DCX2496, after using an impedance transformer to make up for the fact that the DCX uses a 110 ohm termination point instead of 75.
Needs some video upscaling and a decent EQ.
Adjustable crossover frequencies, i'd like to aim for 60hz for my sub, my current receiver only goes 50-80-100-150-200... and this is a pain in the .
*Nice but not needed* a set of balanced pre-outs.

Right now the Emotiva UMC-1 Seems to fit most of this. But i am open to other options. I hear onkyo makes a good processor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-17-11, 11:41 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Need New Preamp/Processor

For the money the Emotiva UMC-1 is a great deal however it does not offer much of any surround modes or other options You would be far better off getting a good receiver like this Onkyo 3007 and just use it as a processor. You will get far more options than any expensive pre pro along with THX certification, Auddessy room eq and a plethora of other surround modes.
Another option is to look at Integra as they also make a great pre pro but you will pay more.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 22 Old 01-17-11, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Adam

Well, i've got to be honest, Surround modes don't excite me. Theyre 99% gimmick. THX certification is usually for the amp portion of the receiver. The only real thing it has to handle are the new Blu-Ray formats. My computer has a DTS output through toslink or coaxial spdif. Emotiva seems to be in its own price category as well.

One thing that is also a factor for me, is electrical draw. And i beleive a true processor uses far less power than an AVR. I'm running on a 15 amp breaker. As it stands now, i can trip the breaker. I'd like the processor to draw less than 500w off the wall. (doesnt seem like a difficult task for a dedicated processor)

UMC-1 also draws a max of about 240w. which is less than half of my current power draw. Its all about getting the max out of my 15amps. lol.

Last edited by Binary; 01-17-11 at 12:16 PM.

post #4 of 22 Old 01-17-11, 01:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

THX surround modes are a huge bonus (I use them exclusively) and I know may other here also do. Audessey is also a must or at least some other auto room EQ and 90% of pre pros do not have any.
To get the new uncompressed audio formats from BluRay you must have HDMI output from your computer Toslink will not do it.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #5 of 22 Old 01-17-11, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Adam

Lol i keep forgetting that i do have HDMI for my pc.

The room eq is important i agree, and doesnt the Emotiva have Emo-Q or whatever they called it?

But surround "modes" is usually effects right? if i want unaltered 7.1 signal from the blu-ray i wouldnt use these modes would i?

I'm still new to the newest formats. This THX mode intrigues me. My current AVR has a THX mode and all i ever noticed out of it was excessive bass reproduction and not much change elsewhere. Maybe things have changed since 5 years ago.

However my current setup almost exclusively sits in DTS NEO:6 mode as thats what my pc likes to feed it, or Stereo mode for music listening. I do not like the added "effects" of any of the other settings. Seems like a lot to pay for if i'm not going to use it.
post #6 of 22 Old 01-17-11, 01:10 PM
Senior Shackster

yes, you are correct pre-pro's draws little current compared to AVR. But power amps draw much power than mid to hi-end receivers.

there are lots of new models of prepro that fits to your requirements but it's a great investment for a piece of electronics that could become outdated by the fast changing audio and video formats.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-17-11, 01:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

if you want to go with a 7.1 system then you will need to use some sort of mode that will expand the signal to the rear channels as 90% of even BluRay movies still only have 5.1 audio.
THX cinema and ultra 7.1 are great modes and really help make it sound like a real theater.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #8 of 22 Old 01-17-11, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Adam

AHA! see thats the kind of information im talking about, i was under the impression that most blu-ray was already pushing the 7.1 envelope which is why 9.2 came out. lol.

So a THX mode is what i need to get my rear channels working?
Thanks for the direction guys.

Does anyone know if the Emotiva UMC-1 has these kind of modes? I know its not THX, but does it have modes to fill in 7.1?
post #9 of 22 Old 01-17-11, 06:52 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Binary wrote: View Post
AHA! see thats the kind of information im talking about, i was under the impression that most blu-ray was already pushing the 7.1 envelope which is why 9.2 came out. lol.

So a THX mode is what i need to get my rear channels working?
Not a THX mode but DPL IIx.

Quote:
Does anyone know if the Emotiva UMC-1 has these kind of modes? I know its not THX, but does it have modes to fill in 7.1?
Almost all modern prepros have this or similar modes so it is likely that the Emotiva does. OTOH, I have doubts about the efficacy of its Room EQ.

Kal Rubinson
post #10 of 22 Old 01-18-11, 04:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

DPL IIx or DPL IIz are available on all receivers or pre prose as far as I know however they dont stack up to the THX modes. Most anybody who has used them will agree. Now dont get me wrong the Emotiva is a great prePro and for the money its a great deal but you loose out of many good features.

Home theater:

Living room system: