Wyred 4 Sound Mini MC 7 Channel Amplifier Review Discussion - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 28 Old 03-02-11, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

IT Guy

Wyred 4 Sound Mini MC 7 Channel Amplifier Review Discussion

Wyred 4 Sound Mini MC 7 Channel (MMC-7) Amplifier Review: Discussion Thread

For the Full Review: Click Here!

Summary: If I could provide you with an analogy to compare this amplifier to your typical A/V Receiver, this is like the difference between driving a Toyota Camry and a Lexus IS350 - the MMC-7 is more refined, more powerful, and better built. The MMC is just plain better at being an amplifier. Your friends will envy this fine piece of engineering you have acquired, all the while scheming to outdo you without breaking the bank. In the case of the MMC-7 your friends are in for a challenge, outdoing this 7-channel amplifier at any price point below three thousand dollars might be doable, but competitors have a lot of work to do before they can give EJ Sarmento and the fine people at Wyred 4 Sound anything to worry about.

Highly Recommended

For the Full Review: Click Here!

Res non sententia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-02-11, 11:43 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Wyred 4 Sound Mini MC 7 Channel Amplifier Review

Excellent review Dave...
post #3 of 28 Old 03-02-11, 12:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Tufelhundin

Re: Wyred 4 Sound Mini MC 7 Channel Amplifier Review Discussion

Due to weight constraints I have been doing a ton of research on Sunfire Amps....this review is intriguing to say the least. Excellent write up. Good looking amp to boot.

Samsung 46" LCD/LED, Oppo BDP-83, Wii, PS2, Squeezebox Duet, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Sherwood Newcastle 965A, SVS AS-EQ1, SVS PBU 13 Rosenut x 2, Rocket Onix RS450 Rosewood x 4 Rocket Onix RS200 Rosewood "Bigfoot", Rocket Launch Pad x 4, MU-C Center Speaker Stand Auralax Gramma's x 2

post #4 of 28 Old 03-02-11, 12:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
Excellent read. Truly enjoyed it and I am sure you are enjoying the Amplifier.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #5 of 28 Old 03-02-11, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

IT Guy

I definitely think this amp is a contender for you if you're considering Sunfire. In any case, I can safely report that I chose to keep this amp for my system after the review ended.

Res non sententia.
post #6 of 28 Old 03-02-11, 01:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

Sorry if this sounds like negative feedback but a few statements you made... I would like some clarification on them

Quote:
where my Onkyo was warm and laid back the MMC-7 was startlingly neutral with excellent resolution and clarity.
With which speakers did you perceive your onkyo as warm and laid back... was this specific difference repeatable with different speakers? How would you say this perception was a function of the S6's electrical load?

Was listening done in source direct mode?

Were the levels matched to within .1db?

Quote:
Where the SC-37 was tonally neutral and transparent, it did sound somehow more digital than the MMC-7 does.
What exactly do you mean by "sounded more digital"? Do mind clarifying this?

Last edited by GranteedEV; 03-02-11 at 01:32 PM.
post #7 of 28 Old 03-02-11, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

IT Guy

Quote:
GranteedEV wrote: View Post
With which speakers did you perceive your onkyo as warm and laid back... was this specific difference repeatable with different speakers? How would you say this perception was a function of the S6's electrical load?

Was listening done in source direct mode?

Were the levels matched to within .1db?

What exactly do you mean by "sounded more digital"? Do mind clarifying this?
It's implied by the tone of your post that you believe everything needs to be qualified by electrical explanations/objective data. While I agree with that spirit allow me to clarify that this is not an objective evaluation, this is my personal subjective opinion and nothing more, you can choose to take it or leave it. That said, i'll do my best to answer your questions below.

All listening tests were done using the Paradigm Signature review system, the sonic signature of my Onkyo receiver was consistent across three different speaker systems including the Paradigms, AV123 Rockets and Onix Reference 1's.

The S6 specifications are available here: http://www.paradigm.com/products/par...s/signature-s6

As I stated above, since this was consistent across speaker models the electrical load of the speaker here is not my main consideration. This is a subjective account of my impressions of the sound of this amplifier - I cannot quantify what is ultimately a subjective determination. That said, I generally find class A amps to sound warm while Class D sound neutral - the electrical explanation for this phenomenon is unknown to me beyond the most basic fundamentals. If you are looking for an electrical engineers analysis, this isn't it.

All listening was done in source direct mode at all times across all speakers/amps. Levels were always matched and checked prior to a critical listening session.

As to sounding digital, I'm not sure what the cause of this was honestly - it may be high frequency distortion or feedback, but the only way I can describe it is to compare listening to a middling bitrate MP3 such as a 128k MP3 vs a FLAC file - you can hear some form of distortion or compression that sounds "digital".

Without arguing psychoacoustics and bias to the end of time, suffice to say that I heard a very noticeable difference between the two amps, with the SC-37 definitely not sound as good to me.

Res non sententia.

Last edited by Dave Upton; 03-02-11 at 03:24 PM.
post #8 of 28 Old 03-02-11, 03:07 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

That's fine. If there's differences I'm sure a person could measure and quantify but with subjective tests I just like to know that the controls are in place. Thanks and like I said, I didn't intend for it to sound like negative feedback. I firmly believe that two great amps should sound identical but I'm also not a person who believes all amps are great and I've never owned an Onkyo before.

I've heard from a very reputable person in that past that pioneer receivers can have a grainyness to them inherent in poorly designed Class A/B amps (although ICEpower is class D). I just didn't know if "digital" meant the same grainyness or somethign else.
post #9 of 28 Old 03-02-11, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

IT Guy

I'm really not a believer in "audiophile" descriptions of sound myself - but it's really hard to nail down what I heard with the SC-37. At the time I was very impressed by it - but comparing that Class D ICEpower amp to the MMC7, there is a large difference with the same technology being used.

I really don't know what factor to blame that on - it could even be a result of the SC-37's processing, but I can say with certainty that the MMC is a much nicer sounding class D amp.

Res non sententia.
post #10 of 28 Old 03-02-11, 04:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

I'm thinking of going Class D myself, at least for the front 3 speakers. Mine will be Hypex, not ICEPower, though. I've read some literature on ICEpower in the past that has me somewhat "insecure" about it. Perhaps that correlates to your experiences between the wired4sound and the pioneer. It may be the implementation, not the technology, that causes my insecurity towards ICEPower. Unfortunately the wired 4 sounds just don't do it for me aesthetically.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 03-02-11 at 04:18 PM.