Need advice on a receiver for a 7.1 and zone 2 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 03:15 PM
Shackster

Re: Need advice on a receiver for a 7.1 and zone 2

I see an:
URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ Master Control RF20 and PowerBlaster by Universal.

Is this something similar to what you are speaking of? Any suggestions or others that might be easy/easier to program and have good solid results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 04:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

The Harmony 1100 is much less expensive and will do everything you need.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #13 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 04:28 PM
Shackster

did you run your lights through the controller as well? I noticed on the amazon website that there is functionality for this. Just wondered what you control with it and if you did run the lights what light switches and products you used?

Thanks so much for all the help! I'm getting "pumped up" now.

post #14 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 04:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I use a Lutron dimmer and so far it works great.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #15 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 07:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
It is weird. We have a quite busy AVR Subforum, yet we seldom have reports of Onkyo QC issues. Contrast this with one of the most popular Forums out there where you are left with the impression that every single Onkyo is cursed.

Personally, I have had 4 Onkyo AVR's since the x05 Series. I did have issues with my TX-NR3007, but my TX-SR805 and 875 are going strong almost 5 years later having sold them both to close friends who live within 10 minutes of me. The TX-NR3008 I got in June has been fantastic.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #16 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 08:58 PM
Shackster
LARRY

See if you can find a Pioneer sc-05 used,it meets your requirement and at 140 watts per channel its a great bargain at $400-500 used or maybe you can find one in clearance.
post #17 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 09:14 PM
Shackster

Can you control your dimmers from outside the house? Cell phone, computer from work, etc. I read that some of the Lutron dimmers had a range of 30'. Along with my theater I'm hoping to be able to control my outside flood lights with my cell phone or on a program loop that will allow them to turn on and off at certain times of the day.

I see the Maestro RF dimmers online from Lutron is that the ones you installed?

Sorry for all the questions but there are just so many different options out there and everything seems to feed off the next device. Starting with the receiver, then the controllers, then the dimmers, etc.
post #18 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 09:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Not the one I have , its just a simple in room remote dimmer nothing special. I dont know much about the higher end ones.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #19 of 36 Old 12-01-11, 12:57 PM
Shackster

Are all these items re-manufactured? Are there still warranties with them? I don't have any knowledge of acessories4less and just wanted to get an idea of what kinda company they are. IE...is it super cheap because you'll end up getting something that works for a month and then blows up? I see A LOT of people talking about them but am not sure if anyone has actually purchased anything from them and wondered what your experiences have been with them?

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Have you looked at Accssesories4less? This Onkyo 5008 is a great price and bang for buck way better than the Denon.
post #20 of 36 Old 12-01-11, 02:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
RVAtheater wrote: View Post
Are all these items re-manufactured? Are there still warranties with them? I don't have any knowledge of acessories4less and just wanted to get an idea of what kinda company they are. IE...is it super cheap because you'll end up getting something that works for a month and then blows up? I see A LOT of people talking about them but am not sure if anyone has actually purchased anything from them and wondered what your experiences have been with them?

Thanks in advance!
Hello,
The vast majority of AVR's from Accessories4less are Refurbished. However, they are backed with a 1 Year Manufacturers Warranty and if purchasing an Onkyo, it can be extended to 3 or 4 Years of Manufacturers Warranty when purchased from ShopOnkyo. This is Onkyo's Storefront/Website and their Extended Warranty is treated and handled exactly the same as the Warranty Onkyo offers on their brand new AVR's.

That is should an issue occur that makes it more worthwhile to replace the AVR, they will replace it with the latest Model. 3rd Party Warranties in this instance would, at best, cut you a check for the purchase price. Case in point, when my Onkyo TX-NR3007 developed a bizzaro HDMI issue that multiple HDMI Board Replacements did not fix, Onkyo sent me the TX-NR3008 instead. Also, my 3007 was a Refurbished AVR and the 3008 they sent me was brand new.

However, on the whole, my experiences with Refurbished AVR's from Accessories4less has been overwhelmingly positive. I have literally helped dozens of friends and family members put together HT's built around an AVR purchased from AC4L and my 3007 has been the only AVR that has needed repair. And this is not even including the countless folks on this Forum and elsewhere that I recommended B-Stock AVR's from AC4L and I honestly cannot think of any that have had an issue.

With AC4L being a Factory Authorized Retailer and one of the largest if not the largest, it simply would be ruinous if these AVR's "works for a month and then blows up" for both AC4L and Onkyo. And with Onkyo being one of the most popular Brands out there, there is simply too much to lose for them to knowingly sell defective products.

Also bear in mind many people do not adhere to AVR Placement Minimum Clearances and things like touching the Ground and Positive Speaker Cables with the AVR turned on. That is not to say that there have not been instances of failures occurring. I cannot remember where I read this, but an insane percentage of AVR's sent in for service were a result of User Error. However, the same can be said of AVR's purchased brand new from any retailer. Also, as we do not have a Storefront, we have absolutely no financial inducement to recommend any product or any store. Rather, we are advocates for our Members. The same cannot be said for the majority of AV Forums who do actually have a Storefront.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910