Need advice on a receiver for a 7.1 and zone 2 - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 36 Old 12-01-11, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Abs

Re: Need advice on a receiver for a 7.1 and zone 2

If you could get a 3009 or a 5008 for around the same price which would people get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 12-01-11, 01:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
Abs777 wrote: View Post
If you could get a 3009 or a 5008 for around the same price which would people get?
Hello,
I would personally get the 3009. With the differences between the 3000 and 5000 Series being so slight, I would go ahead and get the newer Model. Another reason I would go with the 3009 is that a small number of x08 Series were built with a faulty Serial (IDE) Cable that has caused some units to become unresponsive to the Remote Control, cycle through Inputs, and eventually become unresponsive. Crazy thing is the Cable literally costs a couple of Dollars. However, Onkyo is covering this Repair well past the Warranty and the repair only takes about an hour to do. Provided you can get it to a Repair Center nearby without a huge backlog, this Repair can be done easily within a day. Also, after the Repair has been completed, there have been next to none instances of this issue occurring again.

I also like the new Industrial Design of the x09 Series. With the x05 Series looking virtually identical to the 5 year newer x08 Series, it really was time for Onkyo to change the Industrial Design. And again, the Feature Set is practically identical. The 5000 Series does offer a Toroidial Transformer and a tiny amount more Filter Capacitance, but it really is a small difference. Honestly, I do not understand the Product Planning in respect to the 3000 and 5000 Series with them being so similar while the price differential being a good bit different.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #23 of 36 Old 12-02-11, 08:02 AM
Shackster

Thanks JJ!
Looks like ShopOnkyo doesn't have the 5008 but rather has the 5009. More money and I don't see the features to warrant the cost. I believe I read something from you on another thread that said the 5009 wasn't really worth the the money and that you suggested the 5008. Maybe I was reading something else. Am I correct in my thinking about the 5009 vs 5008?

Anyway, I'm hoping that there is a way to extend the warranty through AC4L. The $1500 is in my price range, albeit on the higher end, as long as it has the remote. I can live without the cables and probably can download the user manual but I don't know if these refurbs give you the remote?

Maybe ShopOnkyo.com will have other receivers like the 5008 before Christmas?

post #24 of 36 Old 12-02-11, 08:35 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I definitely said that the differences in Features was so slight between the 5008 and 5009 that it did not make a great deal of sense for a 5008 Owner to get a 5009. What I like about the x09 Series is you do not need to be concerned about the Serial Cable issue that a relatively small number of x08 Series have had problems with.
Also, you can still buy the ShopOnkyo Warranty even if you buy the AVR from AC4L.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
post #25 of 36 Old 12-04-11, 08:30 PM
Shackster

I am new to all this HT set up and I am trying to do it myself so this may seem like a stupid question. I am buying a Onkyo 709 receiver. It will control my 5.2 set up for my HT area. I want to put 6 more speakers in the basement. 2 in fitness room and 2 in game room and 2 out by the pool. I want the ability to only listen to them 2 at a time. I am assuming I will need a different receiver for this ability. I was thinking about running the 2 in the fitness room off the HT 709 receiver? If i do that what woudl be a good receiver for the 2 speakers in game room and the 2 outdoor speakers by the pool. Dont want to spend o ton of money on that receiver but do want something that will be able to power decent outddor speakers as well as have wireless ipod touch compatibility.

Thanks in advance on any direction to take.

PS - i am in a hurry. I am running speaker wire. My drywallers will start wednesday.
post #26 of 36 Old 12-05-11, 08:34 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
snoopcat wrote: View Post
I am new to all this HT set up and I am trying to do it myself so this may seem like a stupid question. I am buying a Onkyo 709 receiver. It will control my 5.2 set up for my HT area. I want to put 6 more speakers in the basement. 2 in fitness room and 2 in game room and 2 out by the pool. I want the ability to only listen to them 2 at a time. I am assuming I will need a different receiver for this ability. I was thinking about running the 2 in the fitness room off the HT 709 receiver? If i do that what woudl be a good receiver for the 2 speakers in game room and the 2 outdoor speakers by the pool. Dont want to spend o ton of money on that receiver but do want something that will be able to power decent outddor speakers as well as have wireless ipod touch compatibility.

Thanks in advance on any direction to take.

PS - i am in a hurry. I am running speaker wire. My drywallers will start wednesday.
Hello,
That definitely goes beyond the scope of the 709. You could get a 2 Zone AVR that has 9 Channels. This way, you could devote the Main Zone to the Game Room, and use AVR Power to the other Channels. Otherwise, you would need something more Custom Installer like in Design like Niles. It really would probably be cheaper than to use an AVR, but something more CI would work more smoothly. I will spend more time thinking about this as it is not an easy one.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
post #27 of 36 Old 12-05-11, 08:49 AM
Shackster

JJ,

I am actually thinking about getting an additional receiver that I would put in the bar area. That speaker would control the 2 speakers in game area and the speakers outside. Looking for suggestion on inexpensive receiver that can do that. I assume i will need a 2 zone reciever id i would want to be able to have both on at same time? if so is that complicated? There will be times where both zones would be operating at same time. Also would like the receiver to have internet connectivity. We enjoy listening to Pandora.

Thanks,
post #28 of 36 Old 12-05-11, 09:05 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
The problem with most inexpensive AVR's is that you can only task 2 Channels to another Zone if at all. Most 9 Channel AVR's do allow you to use 4 Channels for 2 Zones.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
post #29 of 36 Old 12-05-11, 11:45 AM
Shackster

Would an Onkyo 609 be able to control 3-5 speakers inside and simultaneously be driving 2 speakers outside? Curious to know there would be times there are people at the bar watching tv and people outside listening music.
post #30 of 36 Old 12-05-11, 12:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote:
Hello,
The problem with most inexpensive AVR's is that you can only task 2 Channels to another Zone if at all. Most 9 Channel AVR's do allow you to use 4 Channels for 2 Zones.
Cheers,
JJ
To clarify that would be zones 2&3 right?