Need advice on a receiver for a 7.1 and zone 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Abs

Need advice on a receiver for a 7.1 and zone 2

I need to order a Receiver for my HT ASAP. I have been toying with the idea of getting a Denon 4311 or Onkyo 5008, but don't know if I want to spend that kind of money. This is where I need to call on your knowledge. Here is how it will be setup.

1. Theater room will be a 7.1

2. I want a second zone that will be ran through a matrix so I can have all TVs view the same thing (i.e fight or game) I also have 6 ceiling speakers throughout my basement that I want to have as surround sound if we are watching a game. IF we are not watching anything I would like to have the ability to stream music to them.

With that said what is a good receiver for this? Will a 7.1 work receiver work for this or will I need a 9.x? I would also like a decent up conversion chip as well.

Thanks guys, I would like to order this soon. Any advice you can give me is much appreciated and I am afraid of making the wrong choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 09:52 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Need advice on a receiver for a 7.1 and zone 2

Have you looked at Accssesories4less? This Onkyo 5008 is a great price and bang for buck way better than the Denon.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Abs

I did see that one and was leaning towards that one. Some people aren't big on Onkyo so I didn't know for sure. It looks like it has everything I want and is almost 20lbs heavier than the 4311.

post #4 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 12:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Onkyo has a bad rap for some reason on other forums. Ive owed an Onkyo 805 that was supposed to be a fire hazard and other issues and have never had one ounce of problems with it let alone it getting really hot.
The 5008 is a solid receiver thats for sure.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #5 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 12:13 PM
Shackster

I'm looking at a VERY similar scenario too and haven't made a decision on the receiver either. I have a main theater room with an extension gaming room and wetbar that will have a screen as well. You might have seen the RVATheater construction thread on the forum here, and that is me.

I have a 7.1 system in the main room and 6 ceiling speakers in the extension room. In the ceiling of the extension room, 4 of the speakers are tied together as 2 left and 2 right and the ther final 2 (over the bar) are just left and right. They are tied to an in-wall volume control and a receiver that is located under my stairs.

I too am hoping to have the ability for both screens to view the same material (game, movie).
I'm also looking for a separation with the audio. For a big game I would like the opporutnity to have all the 7.1 system and all 6 speakers play the same audio. However, I would also like the abiity to separate those out and have one big game on the main theater and a smaller game on the secondary TV with the audio for each separated.

There will be times that I will only play music in the extension room and not watch tv and other times where I would want to watch TV in the extension room BUT listen to music as my audio.

Do you have a particular matrix device already? I'm curious if these 2 or 3 zone receivers can handle this separate switching? I didn't think they could but I'm looking for a receiver than can handle as much switching as possible until I find the time...and money...to get an appropriate controller via maybe an iPad2 or something.
post #6 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 12:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Most mid to higher end receiver including the 5008 can power more than one zone, you will loose two powered channels to zone2 but if your only running 7.1 then you just use the 8th and 9th channels. Zone 3 is an unpowered zone but you can just use an external amp for that if its needed.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #7 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 12:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote:
Most mid to higher end receiver including the 5008 can power more than one zone, you will loose two powered channels to zone2 but if your only running 7.1 then you just use the 8th and 9th channels. Zone 3 is an unpowered zone but you can just use an external amp for that if its needed.
If you plan or powering more then one pair of speakers off your extra zone then adding a separate zone amp is good anyway.

I would also suggest getting a URC EF remote as well so zone control will be a little more simple.
post #8 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 01:40 PM
Shackster

Thanks for the info. I hope I'm not highjacking this thread but y'all are posting great information.

I was told by an "on the side" theater programmer technician that for ease of use I would want to keep my receivers with similar brands so they will sync up with the main controllers. He was great but was still going to cost me several thousands of dollars for the entire install AFTER the equipment. At over $10k I just couldn't pull the trigger.

He wanted to put in a pair of HDMI baluns and an HDMI switch, a crestron AV2, and run them through a pair of iPad2's as controllers.

Currently I have a Yamaha RX-V465 that I was hoping to use as the external amp that you were talking about. He told it doesn't have RS232 control but that it can be overcome. Not sure what that means.

He suggested the Yamaha RX-V671 but its been some time now and there might be better or more option based receivers out there.

Would you suggest the Yamaha receivers over the Onkyo receivers? Is there any creedence to keeping all the units with similar brands?

At this point I'm just trying to get the pieces purchased in a logical order. I'm thinking the receiver comes first and I'm really thankful for this thread as its almost an exact replication of what my scenario is in my basement.
post #9 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 01:47 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Yamaha makes good receivers but lately they just dont hold up to Onkyo for power output and features. Yamaha also seems to have a big problem with the HDMI handshake issues.
I would not go with an installer just do it yourself. There are many remote controls out there that will control various receivers so thats no big deal.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #10 of 36 Old 11-29-11, 02:10 PM
Shackster

Thats some pretty great news. I really thought it would be outrageous to get all the switching and controls figured out by myself. My wife and I are pretty ok with figuring things out from a digital/technology phase but some of this stuff is just over our heads because we dont see it day in and day out.

So can these remotes run the programming required to control multiple receivers through some type of RF frequency? I guess I was thinking I'd have to come out with some kinda "app" or something with the ipads to run all these things and my lighting sequence. I wouldn't even mind having all the lights on a totally different remote/controller so things aren't all jumbled together.

I'm going to go check out and research more on the Onkyo 5008 now. Do you have any suggestions for controllers that are programmable for the items we've discussed as a DIY??