Receiver Help - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 01-26-12, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Receiver Help

Ok I've gone back and forth on which receiver to buy for what seems like forever. I seem to settle on one then something else looks better and the cycle continues. But I think I've finally narrowed it down to the H/K 2600 or 3600 and the Pioneer 1021 or 1121. I would like opinions on not which is best but which is the better bargain. Is Airplay something that's a gamechanger? Is the Marvell chip a must have? Which is more reliable? And most important which is more user friendly?
Any thoughts or suggestions would go a long way to helping me stop the madness and finally making a choice. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-26-12, 02:52 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: Receiver Help

Quote:
desmond3273 wrote: View Post
Ok I've gone back and forth on which receiver to buy for what seems like forever. I seem to settle on one then something else looks better and the cycle continues. But I think I've finally narrowed it down to the H/K 2600 or 3600 and the Pioneer 1021 or 1121. I would like opinions on not which is best but which is the better bargain. Is Airplay something that's a gamechanger? Is the Marvell chip a must have? Which is more reliable? And most important which is more user friendly?
Any thoughts or suggestions would go a long way to helping me stop the madness and finally making a choice. Please help
I don't know how much this will help, but a couple questions pop to mind:

- How much do you use your iPod? If you use it fairly often, I would go with Airplay;otherwise, use the USB port that allows you to connect and play and that would be sufficient.

- How much content do you watch that is not 1080? If you are planning to watch a fair amount of standard cable, the Marvell chip I believe would be a sound investment (if I understand it correctly, it upconverts all non-1080 signals).

I hope someone else chimes in on the other 2 questions as I have never owned either model. Whichever way you decide to go, IMO purchase it and don't look back (seems many people have been telling me that lately ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 18 Old 01-26-12, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I watch a lot of high def television and play a fair amount of games. Most of my movie watching is streaming Netflix. I don't use my iPod often but I hope it changes after I get a receiver. I'm intrigued by the HK "sound" but I don't know if the processing chip is as good as the Marvel in the Pioneers.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-26-12, 03:52 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
desmond3273 wrote: View Post
I watch a lot of high def television and play a fair amount of games. Most of my movie watching is streaming Netflix. I don't use my iPod often but I hope it changes after I get a receiver. I'm intrigued by the HK "sound" but I don't know if the processing chip is as good as the Marvel in the Pioneers.
I can't say for sure, but I know I have read several threads where JJ has lauded the Marvell chip. I also remember reading a recent AVR review done where Airplay was discussed a bit - you might want to check some of the recent reviews and get his take - unfortunately, I can't remember specifically which AVR.

post #5 of 18 Old 01-26-12, 04:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Any reasons why you have "narrowed it down" to those choices? Have you looked at the Onkyo 709 or 809? in my opinion much better choices than your above choices.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 18 Old 01-26-12, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

tonyvdb I was intrigued by the Onkyo 709. But the more I read it seemed like there were reliability issues. There seemed to be problems with overheating. Is this true?
post #7 of 18 Old 01-26-12, 08:18 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

No overheating problems at all, I have the 805 said to be one that "catches fire" LOL it rarely gets warm enough to be concerned and never "Hot". There seems to be some people around that have issues with Onkyo because they sell twice as many receivers than any of the competition. Onkyo has no more 'reliability issues" than any other company its just they sell far more so there can be a few more that turn up with an issue.
The 709 is by far the best receiver available for under $1000 and there are many others here that will agree.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #8 of 18 Old 01-26-12, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the input. That's something else to think about. It seems Onkyo receivers have robust amplifiers. What about buying refurbs?
post #9 of 18 Old 01-26-12, 09:52 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Referbs are as good as new, i would not hesitate getting one myself but because i live in Canada they wont ship them here.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #10 of 18 Old 01-26-12, 09:52 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

A4L is a good choices for refurbs - when I was looking for my AVR, I was all set to get my 809 from them based on feedback from many people here (able to extend warranty, good customer service) until Newegg ran a special on a new one.

Quite a few people have bought refurbs from A4L and pretty much everyone I have seen post has nothing but good to say about the quality.