Getting Started Again - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 01-29-12, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
BigJBK

Getting Started Again

I am so glad to have found Home Theater Shack. I love the environment and the conversation.

I was an aficionado for great sound in the early 90ís and then stopped growing. At that time I had some old L-100 JBLís, a 15 inch home made sub, NAD 2200 power amp with a NAD 1300 pre-amp (I regret getting rid of the 2200). I am starting over with my wish list for a totally new system and high quality system.
I am a little behind the times with some of the terminology and how technology works with home theater. I love the details and can get into the details. I enjoy home theater with my wife and will be sharing it with others. I want to know what to look for in great mains today, a supporting subwoofer and then the satellites. My next television is about a year away. I will definitely be going 1080P but not necessarily 3D.
Is there some place that could guide me in the right direction to get my game back on. Books, web sites, any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-29-12, 07:57 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Getting Started Again

You found the right place for great info on your new purchases!

Our situation is mirrored; almost the same equipment. Blast from the past! lol This site has really been usefull to me for researching whats out there, since most of the products you'll find have been owned by members here.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Ben
post #3 of 6 Old 01-31-12, 12:04 AM
Shackster
sholling

I'm not sure what board rules are on recommending other sites but there is very good information here. I think you'll find that one of the biggest changes is the growth of internet direct (manufacturer direct sales only) companies. The improved bang for the buck that they bring to speakers, subwoofers, and amplifiers is amazing. Right up there are the improvements in receivers and the advent of room correction software built in to them. I'm using a receiver as a preamp/processor (pre/pro) feeding some serious amps because the bang for the buck is so much better than a dedicated pre/pro. What you still need to take with about 500 tons of salt are magazine reviews.

Popular internet direct companies include:

Amplifiers
  • Emotiva
  • Outlaw Audio
Subwoofers
  • Elemental Designs
  • Hsu Research
  • Outlaw Audio
  • Rythmik Subwoofers
  • SVSounds
Speakers
  • Ascend Acoustics
  • EMPTek
  • Salk Sound
  • Philharmonic (new but from a respected designer)
  • and at least a dozen more

post #4 of 6 Old 01-31-12, 12:09 AM
Shackster

For each component, find the right forum area, toss out your budget and priorities, and you'll get no shortage of recommendations.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-31-12, 11:17 AM
Shackster
pete

Like these other guys mentioned, this is a great place to get info from. There are so many speaker companies out there it is crazy. If you have a saw don't forget about all of the DIY ones out there. I have a pair of mini statements (speakerdesignworks.com) and a rythmik 15" sub. This setup plays loud enough for me, as it can shake the floor of the room above it.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-31-12, 09:10 PM
Senior Shackster
Ryan

I have been researching HT off and on for about 6 years. I have not found one place that has all of the info. What I have found is that there is a high amount of misinformation in audio related topics.

I have found HTS to be the forum with the highest signal to noise ratio. I first found this place via the DIY screen forum. Lots of good data driven conversations there.

In searching for reviews on products, if I do not see measurements I usually do not bother to read them, or I at least weight them appropriately in any decision process.

To echo what others have said, post specifics in the appropriate forum (including recommendations for links to reading material) and you should be off to a good start.