Wireless USB LAN adapter - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 02-01-12, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Brandon

Wireless USB LAN adapter

Just bought an Onkyo 807 and trying to get everything setup. Do you have to buy the Onkyo UWF-1 specific LAN adapter for LAN connection? I really dont want the hastle of running cable to this thing. And would rather run down to Frys or Best buy and grab something than order it online and WAIT.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-02-12, 02:56 AM
Shackster

My understanding is you will need the proprietary LAN adaptor for the receiver. Similar to wireless enabled bluray players, the OS that runs the LAN dongle cannot read a standard WIN|MAC dongle.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-02-12, 02:58 AM
Shackster
sholling

Re: Wireless USB LAN adapter

As long as you have an Ethernet port you can just buy a wireless bridge for $65 or so. I've had decent luck with a D-Link DAP-1522 4 port 802.11n but eventually ran cables because they work better for hi-def video.

Last edited by sholling; 02-02-12 at 03:07 AM.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-02-12, 03:03 AM
Shackster

Quote:
sholling wrote:
You can just buy a wireless bridge but you'll spend $65 or so. I've had decent luck with a D-Link DAP-1522 4 port 802.11n but eventually ran cables for hi-def video.
Bridge is cool or you could use a power line adaptor they've dropped in price and are going to give you hard line speeds(up to 100 Mbps in some cases).
post #5 of 7 Old 02-02-12, 03:09 AM
Shackster
sholling

Quote:
MagHTGuy wrote: View Post
Bridge is cool or you could use a power line adaptor they've dropped in price and are going to give you hard line speeds(up to 100 Mbps in some cases).
This is true and a good idea. Just keep in mind real world transfer speeds (like with wireless) are usually fraction of what they claim.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-02-12, 01:06 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

I've used a Buffalo wireless bridge for my Viera TV and it works fine. My HP printer had a problem over it, but the TV works well. The Buffalo was less than $50, but is on the lower end of quality. If D-Link has one now, that would probably be your better bet.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-02-12, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Brandon

I dont know why I didnt think of the bridge or access point straight away. I have had a few for my office and used 2 or so of them as hockey pucks. But the last Cisco one i bought has been great. Went to Frys and bought the entertainment variant of the same access point I have in my office. Being that we are going to upgrade the TV, Blue Ray player, etc etc soon. I figured it would be good to have a higher quality piece in that locale anyways. And it has 5 ports, so I should be more than covered.

Thanks fo the insite.,