Denon 4311 input settings / sub level options... - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 30 Old 06-24-13, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Denon 4311 input settings / sub level options...

No... but I did find somewhat of a resolution with my 4520 and Denon's IR codes. I mention this in my 4520 review. There is also an IR Code List for the 4311. With a learning remote it may give you some solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 06-25-13, 09:46 AM
Senior Shackster
Mark Anderson

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
No... but I did find somewhat of a resolution with my 4520 and Denon's IR codes. I mention this in my 4520 review. There is also an IR Code List for the 4311. With a learning remote it may give you some solution.
Thanks Sonnie

Nice review of the 4520 BTW. I moved FROM Onkyo to Denon after my HDMI board died on my $2200 Onkyo ($700 repair) because the cheapskates/incompetent designers--not sure which) used 85-degree rated capacitors. Will *never* buy Onkyo again. This poor design decision is going to cost them a lot of business.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. I have a URC system (MSC-400 + MX-780's), so I'll program something into that. I already have a Music/Movie button on my AppleTV activity (determines whether lights raise/dim on play, pause, stop--they do for movies, but not for music), so I'll just modify that SmartMacro to adjust the bass depending on the mode I select.

While I'm on, I noticed that you liked the Audyssey Pro on the 5508, have had chance to form an opinion about XT32 vs Pro? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Pro installers kit, but need to figure out how much I'll gain over XT32 in my 4311CI

Regards

Mark
post #23 of 30 Old 06-25-13, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

The Pro kit does allow some flexibility, but IMO it is not worth the extra cost, which is over $500 with the license, even if you can get the kit at cost or close to it. In likelihood it will cost you over $600. For me, XT32 does well enough in the mid to high end... and I use my Behringer 1124p for my low end prior to running Audyssey, so that I can get any large peaks out of the way. Audyssey just can't deal with those very well.

post #24 of 30 Old 06-25-13, 10:55 AM
Senior Shackster
Mark Anderson

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
The Pro kit does allow some flexibility, but IMO it is not worth the extra cost, which is over $500 with the license, even if you can get the kit at cost or close to it. In likelihood it will cost you over $600. For me, XT32 does well enough in the mid to high end... and I use my Behringer 1124p for my low end prior to running Audyssey, so that I can get any large peaks out of the way. Audyssey just can't deal with those very well.
Thanks Sonnie

I just upgraded to an SVS SB13-Ultra last week (still tweaking it). It has two programmable PEQ filters so I can take care of any major issues with those
post #25 of 30 Old 06-25-13, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Yep... you should be fine. I would definitely try everything first without spending the extra on the Pro kit.
post #26 of 30 Old 08-23-13, 01:26 PM
Shackster

eyespy39

My System

Why don't you just use the "Quick select" buttons? All then current settings (source, main level, channel level, Audyssey mode etc.) will be saved and remembered. True, you sacrifice another quick select setting. But from your primary question, I gather that it is much easier to change the source or main level after having selected the currently preferred channel level set. Plus, you need no additional remote or circuitry.
If you happen to own a smartphone, there are apps out there that offer a much quicker access to channel level setting on the fly.
post #27 of 30 Old 08-23-13, 02:16 PM
Senior Shackster
Mark Anderson

Quote:
eyespy39 wrote: View Post
Why don't you just use the "Quick select" buttons? All then current settings (source, main level, channel level, Audyssey mode etc.) will be saved and remembered. True, you sacrifice another quick select setting. But from your primary question, I gather that it is much easier to change the source or main level after having selected the currently preferred channel level set. Plus, you need no additional remote or circuitry.
If you happen to own a smartphone, there are apps out there that offer a much quicker access to channel level setting on the fly.
I control everything with a home automation system. AFAIK, quick select can't do just ch levels, etc. it stores everything (including source). I have extensive macros that switch devices on an off and change lighting scenes, when changing sources turning TV on/off, etc.. I know I can do it via IP and RS232, so I'll program those into my macros and do ti that way when I get a chance

I have the denon app and DeRemote for my iPhone, but neither seems to offer channel level control
post #28 of 30 Old 08-23-13, 04:33 PM
Shackster

eyespy39

My System

Quick select does it just the way you describe. I didn't know about your elaborate setup. Then, of course, quick select would rather mess up with what you're aiming at.
I bet that DeRemote has the function, it is even shown in the iTunes-screenshots. Since I'm using DeRemote on my iPad rather than the iPhone, I cannot immediately tell you how to get there. I'll try it tomorrow and tell you about it.
post #29 of 30 Old 08-23-13, 04:52 PM
Senior Shackster
Mark Anderson

Quote:
eyespy39 wrote: View Post
I bet that DeRemote has the function, it is even shown in the iTunes-screenshots. Since I'm using DeRemote on my iPad rather than the iPhone, I cannot immediately tell you how to get there. I'll try it tomorrow and tell you about it.
Will double check when I get home
post #30 of 30 Old 08-24-13, 04:43 PM
Shackster

eyespy39

My System

I have to apologize for not having performed the promised check. I do this by posting the link to the DeRemote Manual pdf. Hope this helps shorten the way.

Edit: I can't find that settings in DeRemote on the iPhone, neither. There's another app, called DenOn/Off. Here, the channel levels are easy to set. I believe it's free, too.

Last edited by eyespy39; 08-25-13 at 03:42 AM.