Denon 4311 input settings / sub level options... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 30 Old 02-07-12, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Denon 4311 input settings / sub level options...

For several years now I have always had to adjust the subwoofer levels on my receiver/prepro to make the bass louder for CD music and DVD/BD concerts... or concerts on satellite as well. It seems the bass is always fine for movies. I suppose this is due to the 10db LFE boost encoded in movies. Apparently in DVD/BD concerts this is not encoded... nor is it in CD or vinyl.

I own the Denon 4311 receiver and it is one of the more aggravating receivers when it comes to adjusting sub levels. On others I have merely had to press the Sub Level +/- buttons on the remote to increase or decrease the sub level. On the 4311 I have to press Channel Level, then scroll down to each subwoofer level (I have two subs in my system) and adjust the level of each sub. Then I have to lower it back down for movies. I cannot seem to find a simple resolution to make it easier.

I did just realize the other day that I can set sub levels independently in Stereo mode. So now I don't have the issue when a Stereo signal is playing, such as a music CD or vinyl, so that resolves that part. However, when playing a DVD/BD concert, such as the one I am listening to right now (of course it is Pink Floyd), I still have to increase the sub levels.

I thought maybe I could simply setup another input for 5.1 music, but I cannot select the same video input for two different inputs. When I select HDMI 1 for one input, it won't let me select it for another input, which doesn't make sense.

Perhaps I will use the dual HDMI outputs on the OPPO BD-93... using one for movies and one for music.

Has anyone know of a solution on the 4311 by chance? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-07-12, 10:36 PM
Senior Shackster
Jason

Re: Denon 4311 input settings / sub level options...

I don't, but if you're ever wanting to sell your 4311 then that would be a solution and I'd consider buying!
post #3 of 30 Old 02-07-12, 10:39 PM
Senior Shackster
Jason

From my Denon they usually have a "restorer" mode on the remote which has three different settings. One to increase treble, one to increase treble and bass, and one for bass only.

You could try this out to increase the bass without changing levels, but it's minor and not a 10db increase.

post #4 of 30 Old 02-07-12, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I looked at the RESTORER settings, but those are for compressed music, which I don't use with this setup.

I also need about 10db as well, so it would not help.

And every piece of equipment I have is for sale. Money talks.
post #5 of 30 Old 02-07-12, 11:00 PM
Senior Shackster
Jason

The restorer function isn't a special algorith, it simply adjusts the bass up by something like 3 DB. It's not going to restore the track back to normal, just simply adjusts the bass and/or treble up, which is what is most affected by compressed tracks.

10 DB and you're definitely adjusting by hand. That seems bass heavy for music, but what do I know. Hopefully your turntable is isolated with your subs!

I'll keep that in mind about the purchase. I wish I would've jumped at the Newegg deal when you did. I'm real curious to see what the XT32 does over the XT.
post #6 of 30 Old 02-07-12, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I get Denon through one of my distributors at dealer cost, but I don't sell via the Internet. I do however sell my used demo equipment from time to time via Internet. The problem is I can't find anything else out there that does what I want it to do over what this Denon will do. I want XT32 with Sub EQ HT... and I want 12 volt triggers that work on the main zone... this receiver is it as far as I know. I wish someone would create a prepro, but it doesn't look promising.
post #7 of 30 Old 02-07-12, 11:25 PM
Senior Shackster
Jason

Yeah, the only prepro that's not rediculous is the Integra 80.2. The only thing I don't like is the fact that Audyssey doesn't have a "flat" curve in this prepro, so it only allows the setting to roll off the highs.

I'm in the same boat, I wouldn't use the 4311's amp section.

If you decide to sell, let me know. I'm looking for a deal though. Ha!
post #8 of 30 Old 02-08-12, 10:00 AM
Senior Shackster
Bob

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I thought maybe I could simply setup another input for 5.1 music, but I cannot select the same video input for two different inputs. When I select HDMI 1 for one input, it won't let me select it for another input, which doesn't make sense.
Maybe you could use an HDMI splitter to feed two of the HDMI inputs with the same source and then set one with your alternate preference????
post #9 of 30 Old 02-08-12, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

After looking closer I am not sure that I can set the sub levels for each input. I am not sure what made me think I could, but either way, I am not seeing the ability to do this. Chunk that idea... obviously I got confused somewhere.
post #10 of 30 Old 02-08-12, 10:46 AM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

The only thing I can think of is using a Velodyne SMS-1 which has different pre-sets which are adjustable. It already comes with a Jazz and Action movie pre-set, the Action Movie mode raises the sub volume by 6db and adds a 3db kick in the 30hz range if I remember correctly. All of the setting's are adjustable so you can make the Action Movie preset a bump of 10db if you want and also remove the 3db boost in the 30hz.

The problem then is that you can only use 1 sub out into the SMS-1 from your 4311. I like the subEQ built into Audyssey XT32 but have found it to not always set phase correctly so I have no problem connecting all my subs to just one sub output.