Onkyo PR-SC5508 - PR-SC5509 SSP / Integra DHC-80.2 - DHC-80.3 SSP - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 117 Old 02-10-12, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Onkyo PR-SC5508 - PR-SC5509 SSP / Integra DHC-80.2 - DHC-80.3 SSP

This will be a discussion thread for the Onkyo PR-SC5508 ; Onkyo PR-SC5509 ; Integra DHC-80.2 ; Integra DHC-80.3 Surround Sound Processors / AV Controllers / Preamplifiers.

Questions and Comments are welcomed and encouraged!

The Onkyo 5508 and the Integra 80.2 are still considered current models... and still very practical and popular products. The Onkyo 5509 and the Integra 80.3 are newer models and may not be available to everyone at the time of this writing. However, they should be readily available soon to nearly anyone desiring to buy one.

Onkyo vs. Integra: They are basically one in the same, both being built in Malaysia at the same plant. You will notice some cosmetic differences… particularly the silver power button and volume knob on the Integra. The Onkyo units hide the secondary function buttons and front panel inputs behind a flip down door, while they are all in plain site on the Integra. There may also be some feature differences that vary from model to model. Integra is not readily available on the Internet and aimed more at the custom install market, while Onkyo is highly mass marketed. Integra adds an extra year of warranty and is known to offer better customer service. Otherwise, I have read fifty-eleven stories about the two companies using the same parts… and different parts, with no firm confirmation one way or the other. I am not saying there is no confirmation, but I have not seen it or researched it in depth, while I have seen various arguments for days on end.

Comparing the 5508/80.2 to the 5509/80.3:

Cosmetics: For the Onkyo we can see the rounded edges, contoured face and small buttons of the 5508 have changed to squared edges, a flat face and larger squared buttons on the 5509… other than the power button, which goes from square to round. Buttons are rearranged considerably under the front flip down cover as well. The backs look nearly identical with some very minor layout changes. In my opinion the 5509 has gone backwards in time with a more insipid look. For the Integra the changes are almost non-existent with only slight modifications to the front panel labeling.

Features: The newer models have upgraded video processing, moving from the HQV Reon -VX to the HQV® Vida™ VHD1900. Video upscaling improves in the newer models... up to 4K with Qdeo™ Technology by Marvell. DTS Neo:X™, Spotify and AUPEO! are also added to the newer models.

Known Issues: Apparently there is a known issue with the 5508 and 80.2 models that is a major annoyance to most owners. When the audio switches between formats there is a noticeable relay clicking. I was reading one review of the 5508 that stated during the changing of TV channels it would click twice... and it is pretty loud. Supposedly this has been fixed in the 5509 / 80.3 models.

Common Features:
  • THX Ultra2 Plus Certification
  • 9.2-Channel Balanced Line-Level XLR Pre Outs (with Front Bi-Amping Capability)
  • 192kHz/32-bit Burr-Brown DACs
  • Audyssey MultEQ XT32 / Sub EQ HT / Dynamic EQ / Dynamic Volume / DSX
  • isf Certified
  • Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus
  • Dolby Pro Logic IIz (Front High Channels)
  • Dolby Volume
  • DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD Express
  • 12V Triggers (assignable w/adjustable delay)

Downloadable Manuals (PDF):

Onkyo PR-SC5508
Onkyo PR-SC5509
Integra DHC-80.2
Integra DHC-80.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 Old 02-10-12, 03:09 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Onkyo PR-SC5508 - PR-SC5509 SSP / Integra DHC-80.2 - DHC-80.3 SSP

As far as relay clicking I only had that problem with the Integra 80.1 pre-pro, it was so bad I took it out of my system and sent it back within 2 weeks. It was really loud and actually made you jump a little. That was the only time I have ever had that problem with any Onkyo/Integra receiver or pre-pro. I have a Onkyo 5508 in my main theater and it is silent and a Onkyo 3008 receiver in the living room and it is also silent. Maybe if I got up close to them I would hear a relay click but the 5508 is about 6 feet away from me right now and I never hear it. I am pretty sure I got a defective 80.1 also since my friend has had his for a couple of years and his only has a faint click that is not noticeable from 8 feet away.

I prefer the look of the Onkyo pre-pro's, they look more refined than the more expensive Integra's which is odd I think, it should be the other way around. The silver knobs and exposed buttons on the Integra really give it a cheaper look IMO. I am also convinced that they use the same internals and have never read anything to the contrary. The Integra also lacks Pure Audio which is included in the Onkyo, that doesn't make sense, another thing that should be the other way around.

The only thing that would make me choose the 80.3 or 5509 over the older offerings is the IDE cable issue that I think has been cleared up with the newer models. I had to send in my 5508 for the same issue and it took about 3 weeks to get it back. It now works perfectly again but it would have been nice to not have to go through it.
post #3 of 117 Old 02-10-12, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Maybe the relay clicking was a run of bad units. It is good to know it does not effect everyone.

I have read in a couple of places that the internal of the Integra use higher tolerance parts and better power supplies. The supposed improvements (or not) vary pretty remarkably from site to site. I really don't know if anyone really knows for sure. At this point I am guessing their ain't any differences, but I could be wrong.

What did the IDE cable issue cause a problem with?

post #4 of 117 Old 02-10-12, 03:52 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

The IDE cable problem varies but in my case it made the display on the front of 5508 begin to flicker, the volume knob on the unit stopped working and it would default back to stereo even though I was running a 9.2 channel system. In the most extreme cases it would begin to cycle through listening modes and mine may have been going in that direction but I sent it in right when I began experiencing problems.
post #5 of 117 Old 02-11-12, 07:29 AM
Senior Shackster

Erwin

My System

I know the 5509 is recent, but I am holding my breath for a hopefully 11 channel 5510 for my HT!

Slowly building a 9.2.4 HT with 3 DIYSG Titan LX LCR, 2 LLT subs (done) and much, much more...
LLT design:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

LLT Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #6 of 117 Old 02-11-12, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

You think maybe Onkyo is gonna slip that one in sometime this year? That would be nice for sure.

I don't exactly understand the deal with them releasing the 5509 in Europe and not the U.S.
post #7 of 117 Old 02-13-12, 01:35 PM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

I have the Onkyo 5508 and had to replace the IDE cable and it has worked perfectly since the repair. The repair took less then a week. When the problem occurred the processor would cycle through the various surround modes randomly and would not respond to remote commands.

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -4 x Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/2 x Marantz M7025's
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #8 of 117 Old 02-13-12, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

How about the relay clicking... have you experienced this issue?
post #9 of 117 Old 02-13-12, 02:33 PM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

The clicking is very quiet and almost inaudible when I am standing in the tech room. BTW my tech room is 20 feet from HT room and in a separate room. From the HT room this is a "non issue".

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -4 x Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/2 x Marantz M7025's
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #10 of 117 Old 02-13-12, 04:57 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
How about the relay clicking... have you experienced this issue?
I have my 80.2 in the same room on a rack about 12feet from me. I can hear the clicks if I try to but, otherwise, they are totally innocuous and unnoticed.

Kal Rubinson