Need help with my Denon AVR-1912!!! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 64 Old 04-23-12, 09:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Need help with my Denon AVR-1912!!!

The airspace around the receiver should be kept below 85F if possible. Heat is the number one killer of electronics. Fans can help but if all your doing is moving the hot air around thats not going to make much difference. A shelf with holes in it is also great so air can move through the bottom of the receiver as well.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 64 Old 04-23-12, 09:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
The thing with Entry Level AVR's like the 1912 is to keep up with all of the features, the Amplifier Stage is not as robust. That is things like Heat Sinks which help to dissipate heat are not as large. In addition to smaller Power Transformers and Capacitors.

All this being said, the Closet should be ok provided the AVR has plenty of clearance. A Fan inside the Closet would not be a bad idea as well.
J

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #13 of 64 Old 05-03-12, 06:32 AM

I just experienced the exact same thing with my Denon AVR 1912. Blue screen on TV regardless of source selected. Tech support claims they have never heard of this problem, but had me do a number of resets and power down procedures to renew the HDMI cable handshakes. No luck and now it looks like I need to disconnect everything, drive to a repair shop and wait a month or so for the repair. Wondering how your receiver was repaired or replaced and any follow up problems?
Thanks

post #14 of 64 Old 05-03-12, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
acesxthree wrote: View Post
I just experienced the exact same thing with my Denon AVR 1912. Blue screen on TV regardless of source selected. Tech support claims they have never heard of this problem, but had me do a number of resets and power down procedures to renew the HDMI cable handshakes. No luck and now it looks like I need to disconnect everything, drive to a repair shop and wait a month or so for the repair. Wondering how your receiver was repaired or replaced and any follow up problems?
Thanks
Did you have enough airflow around it. I was not able to confirm it, but do suspect it was the heat that did mine in. I did not know that I needed to keep it around 85 degrees. As for what I did to remedy the issue, I did not want to wait for repair, so I was able exchange it after some leg work. On the new one, I will be adding some computer case fans for positive venting. I found some 200mm fans that move air at 110cfm. I'm going to add two to the top vent in the closet to push air out. I also found that simply resting one on top of the denon (with it sucking air out of the reciever) keeps the temp down to an almost undetectable level when placing you hand over top of the unit. The fans are only around $20 so I think I'll use two on top of the unit for same measure. If I have the same issue again, then I'll get more involved with denon support for a warranty repair. I know this may not be the exact answer you are looking for, but hope it helps a little bit.
post #15 of 64 Old 05-03-12, 01:19 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
This is beginning to seem a bit troubling. Models like the 1912 are almost always subcontracted out to Companies like Sherwood/Newcastle who actually are the OEM for a shocking number of Entry Level AVR's across all Brands. That being said, S/N makes a very good product on the whole. It is just at these price points, there are so many compromises that need to be made to ensure profitability. It is why it is next to impossible to find any AVR that is Made in Japan anymore. The Denon AVR-4311 is the last recently released AVR still made there and its replacement is going to be Made in China like the rest of the Denon AVR Lineup.
J

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
post #16 of 64 Old 06-14-12, 08:46 PM

Quote:
dirtyharry wrote: View Post
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and am hoping you can help me. If I should be posting this somewhere else, please let me know. I have a Denon 1912 that I have been using with no problems for the past month and half with my Samsung 7000 series LCD TV. All of a sudden yesterday, when I turned it on to watch TV, there were these transparent blue boxes covering the TV screen. I could see the TV show playing behind it so I know the signal is going through. I checked the Blu-Ray player, and then same thing. When I tried my computer (hooked up to the same TV, but not through the receiver), they were not there. I tried swapping the HDMI cables. I tried a different input on the TV. I unplugged the receiver for a little while and tried again. I tried the "reset" per the manual. I called Denon support, and they told me to try the same stuff that I already did. Then they told me I would have to exchange it, or send it in for service. It is driving me crazy, cause it worked before iwht no issues. I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.
Hi, I just purchased the same Denon AVR-1912 and I'm experiencing the same display problems as quoted above. Did anyone find a solution to the problem? I just opened the box, connected the receiver, and within 15 minutes the menu/display went bad--exactly as described in this forum. I've tried everything mentioned in this forum short of boxing the receiver and returning it. Thanks.
post #17 of 64 Old 06-14-12, 09:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

My understanding is that this is a bad video or HDMI board within the receiver, if its under warrentee I would return it for another unit.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #18 of 64 Old 06-14-12, 09:32 PM

OK, thank you.
post #19 of 64 Old 12-10-12, 08:09 PM
Shackster

If anybody tells you a new/better cable will fix this - it will not.

Please pm me or respond here if you have any question about the issue. I look forward to participating in the forums in the future! Have a great evening!

Last edited by oates; 12-18-12 at 06:45 AM.
post #20 of 64 Old 12-10-12, 09:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I agree about long HDMI runs being troublesome. However, many use Monoprice HDMI's with no ill effects. That being said, I use Audioquest HDMI Cables so I do not have any real experience using ultra low price HDMI Cables.

The only reason I am using AQ's is that I got them for 80% off when Sound Advice was going OOB. At the prices I paid for them, they cost barely more than BlueJeans or higher grade Monoprice HDMI Cables and I could always turn a profit if I ever wanted to sell them.
Cheers,
JJ

HT