Need help with my Denon AVR-1912!!! - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 64 Old 12-16-12, 10:36 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: Need help with my Denon AVR-1912!!!

Quote:
oates wrote: View Post
For the record, I've never bought a broken A stock item in all of my life. And I've bought plenty of electronics and music equipment. Refurb 2 buys and 2 broken. I would consider doing it with a local shop or Best Buy where I could walk in with it. I would never do it again from a website.
Well many B-Stocks were A-Stocks that did arrive DOA. With both A-Stock and B-Stock the chances are pretty small that the AVR is going to fail out of the box. Regardless, I certainly understand given your experience not choosing to purchase a B-Stock in the future.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 64 Old 12-16-12, 07:09 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

Quote:
Newborn + death and illness in family + them sending me a broken piece of gear= "Sorry! We'll switch your current refurb out for another refurb. Sorry for your loss." Seriously, think about it.
I have no chips on the table here, I empathize the personal loss you have experienced, I don't buy refurb gear, I have never done business with the named vendor.
From this post it appears you bought a refurb and were offered a refurb in exchange (this is a different report than was initially posted), if this is the case the vendor offered to make an even exchange which seems reasonable and appropriate to me.
While you are clearly dissatisfied, other than the unit working correctly out of the box, what would have made you happy ?
If you think replacing the refurb unit with a A stock, new in the box unit would have been appropriate, I do not agree because that is not what you paid for.
post #43 of 64 Old 12-16-12, 07:28 PM
Shackster

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
I have no chips on the table here, I empathize the personal loss you have experienced, I don't buy refurb gear, I have never done business with the named vendor.
From this post it appears you bought a refurb and were offered a refurb in exchange (this is a different report than was initially posted), if this is the case the vendor offered to make an even exchange which seems reasonable and appropriate to me.
While you are clearly dissatisfied, other than the unit working correctly out of the box, what would have made you happy ?
If you think replacing the refurb unit with a A stock, new in the box unit would have been appropriate, I do not agree because that is not what you paid for.
I'm being offered a refurb from Denon, not the vendor. Denon has been amazing. I was just hoping the website would consider the circumstances and exchange it for another refurb (making my life a bit easier). When I emailed them about my circumstance they said "repairs are generally only 2-3 weeks" and never returned my actual phone call. That's a big part of this - the guy blowing off my phone call. Even the guy defending the site can't really defend that.

Waiting for a repair means I get the label today, mail it Monday. Add another week to the 2-3 week estimate. I'm sure the holiday will add yet another week. Needless to say, I'm out my sweet AVR for most likely 2 months. Like I said, from my perspective, I opened the box and it didn't work. That is absolutely what happened. I would expect any business that sold a broken item to take it back (even and especially if life events prevented a customer from opening it within the 30 days). I may even be wrong about this but I don't think so. All I wanted was another refurb unit so I didn't have to wait 2 months for a unit that I had paid for to work. With all of the stuff going on it would have been wonderful to have my unit for the time I'm spending with my family.

Sad about it but thats life. I just won't be buying anything from them in the future. I'm sure with service like that they'll lose quite a bit of business. My friends and I buy AV gear here and there and a good experience in this case would have led to a recommendation. One guy just asked last week where to buy a receiver...guess who I didn't recommend! Even if you disagree with the return, blowing off my call is pretty horrible.
I just wanted the guy making the decision to listen to my perspective and make a decision. He never returned my call.

I look forward to participating in other topics not related to this. Be well!

Last edited by oates; 12-16-12 at 07:35 PM.

post #44 of 64 Old 12-16-12, 08:43 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

Gotcha
Best wishes to you and your family.
post #45 of 64 Old 12-17-12, 02:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
I'm being offered a refurb from Denon, not the vendor. Denon has been amazing. I was just hoping the website would consider the circumstances and exchange it for another refurb (making my life a bit easier). When I emailed them about my circumstance they said "repairs are generally only 2-3 weeks" and never returned my actual phone call. That's a big part of this - the guy blowing off my phone call. Even the guy defending the site can't really defend that.

Waiting for a repair means I get the label today, mail it Monday. Add another week to the 2-3 week estimate. I'm sure the holiday will add yet another week. Needless to say, I'm out my sweet AVR for most likely 2 months. Like I said, from my perspective, I opened the box and it didn't work. That is absolutely what happened. I would expect any business that sold a broken item to take it back (even and especially if life events prevented a customer from opening it within the 30 days). I may even be wrong about this but I don't think so. All I wanted was another refurb unit so I didn't have to wait 2 months for a unit that I had paid for to work. With all of the stuff going on it would have been wonderful to have my unit for the time I'm spending with my family.

Sad about it but thats life. I just won't be buying anything from them in the future. I'm sure with service like that they'll lose quite a bit of business. My friends and I buy AV gear here and there and a good experience in this case would have led to a recommendation. One guy just asked last week where to buy a receiver...guess who I didn't recommend! Even if you disagree with the return, blowing off my call is pretty horrible.
I just wanted the guy making the decision to listen to my perspective and make a decision. He never returned my call.

I look forward to participating in other topics not related to this. Be well!
Seriously? As the "guy" defending the site, I highly recommend that you read our rules of conduct. I usually do not post such things in public, but I have tried to show understanding to your situation. Considering I am the one who actually acknowledged the actual website you were talking about, I am somewhat flummoxed by that offhanded comment.

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
post #46 of 64 Old 12-17-12, 05:14 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I just want to know how many people headed to the dictionary for the definition of flummoxed? I did.
post #47 of 64 Old 12-18-12, 10:41 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

Oates has complied with the rules of conduct.
post #48 of 64 Old 12-21-12, 07:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

In well over 7000 posts I have never quoted from our rules, but.... "We simply can not over emphasize enough the importance of any member, under any circumstances, "publicly" reproaching our staff by calling our status or our decisions into question... in any form or fashion. If you want to be banned, this is the quickest way."

Perhaps some might see the post as a grey area. However, I do not. Throughout this thread, I just do not understand how what I have written could be construed as defending AC4L. Especially as I was the one who even acknowledged the retailer being discussed and trying to show understanding to the situation as well.

HT
post #49 of 64 Old 12-21-12, 08:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
For what it's worth I don't think you were out of line Jack. The OP was obviously frustrated by his experience and our forum is definitely pro Onkyo and IMO for good reason. You just can't make everyone happy and on occasion someone is bound to end up with a defective unit.
post #50 of 64 Old 12-21-12, 08:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Fully agree, it is always a risk buying electronics from any seller. Defective units are everywhere and to put blame on one seller is not fair at all.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900