Opinions on Audio Settings - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 15 Old 09-26-12, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Opinions on Audio Settings

I have a Pioneer VSX-1020-K, and I'm looking to get the most out of the audio settings. If any of you have the time to voice your opinions, please do. I know that in the end, it'll be up to my ears, but I thought this could be a fun way to learn something about tweaking. Anyway, here is the manual, just let me know why you would set something a certain way. The audio settings start on page 67.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-26-12, 11:33 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: Opinions on Audio Settings

Quote:
AtomicAgeZombie wrote: View Post
I have a Pioneer VSX-1020-K, and I'm looking to get the most out of the audio settings. If any of you have the time to voice your opinions, please do. I know that in the end, it'll be up to my ears, but I thought this could be a fun way to learn something about tweaking. Anyway, here is the manual, just let me know why you would set something a certain way. The audio settings start on page 67.
Hello,
What Speakers are you using? With the 1020 having MCACC, I am not really sure aside from Bass and Treble that can be really tweaked. Compared to a standard EQ, MCACC offers a far more advanced EQ.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #3 of 15 Old 09-26-12, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

These are my speakers, but in a 7.1 setup.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-26-12, 01:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

You defiantly need to keep low bass away from the Kefs; I own/used a set of KHT 2005.2 "eggs," and anything below 80Hz can damage the drivers. I'd probably stick with the room eq settings; the auto set-up is probably crossing over the speakers to the sub at around 100-120Hz. That's a bit high for the sub, but is probably best for the speakers. You could try a setting of ~80Hz; I used that without trouble, but it IS pushing what the Kefs can actually do (bass-wise, that is).
post #5 of 15 Old 09-26-12, 01:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I could not agree more with Gary. I am honestly shocked they are rated down to 80hz given how small they are. KEF makes excellent Speakers and I am especially fond of their larger Speakers.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #6 of 15 Old 09-26-12, 01:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

Also, the manual clearly warns against a crossover setting lower than 80Hz; when I was using the Kefs for my HT, auto set-up assigned a crossover point of 110Hz to the speakers. That's probably about right.

I still use two of them as rears, but I have a passive NHT "sub" that handles everything from ~100Hz to 50Hz or so. These little eggs sound great, but they can not reproduce low bass. Be careful with the crossover setting.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-26-12, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

I currently have the crossover at 150hz, the options in that range are 80/100/150... I had it at 100hz and I'm just testing the 150hz, they recommend 120. The crossover knob on the Kube 2 is turned all the way to 140hz, so maybe I should set the crossover on the receiver to 100hz?
post #8 of 15 Old 09-26-12, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

I'm also trying to understand settings like the LFE, DRC, Center Width, Center Image, and Virtual Height (among others). I have all these random options and no real understanding of how to use them.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-28-12, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Nothing?
post #10 of 15 Old 09-28-12, 07:35 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
AtomicAgeZombie wrote:
I'm also trying to understand settings like the LFE, DRC, Center Width, Center Image, and Virtual Height (among others). I have all these random options and no real understanding of how to use them.
LFE is Low Frequency Effects, the .1 that we love. LFE level (or gain) controls the bass level. I'm not familiar with DRC. Center width, center image, and virtual height have no "correct" setting, mess with them until you find YOUR preference.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
People think I'm strange, does it make me a stranger?