Harman Kardon or Marantz - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 17 Old 12-07-12, 08:26 AM
Inactive

My System
Re: Harman Kardon or Marantz

As much as I like my Marantz SR6003 - and I really do like it! - if I had to buy another AVR tomorrow I'd go with either a Denon or an Onkyo. Both brands make good-quality, well-equipped and competitively-priced AVRs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 12-07-12, 06:19 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
Since Denon and Marantz merged, their AVR and SSP's are pretty much only superficially different. This has been especially so since Bain Capital purchased D&M Holdings and massively restructured them.

The biggest thing I have noticed since Bain took over is more and more series no longer being made in Japan (now China) and the AVR's pulling a Jenny Craig. For instance, the pre merger $1699 7 Channel Denon AVR-3808 weighed 39.2 pounds whereas the $2499 9 Channel AVR-4520CI weighs 36 pounds.

I do like H/K and am a huge fan of Logic 7. However, as has been pointed out above, they just have not seemed as relevant in the HDMI era.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #13 of 17 Old 12-08-12, 09:35 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I would choose Marantz over HK, based on historical quality and support. I am not sure what is happening with Marantz in the last few years as I have not been involved in the business of service and sales directly any more.

Overall, for receivers, I would choose Onkyo for raw value, Yamaha for quality and support.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #14 of 17 Old 12-09-12, 02:13 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System
Re: Harman kardon or Marantz

Quote:
yoda13 wrote: View Post
I'll take a stab at this, for example, the Denon AVR-3313, can be had for around $1100 vs the equivalent Marantz SR7007 would cost you $1800 (Amazon.com). That's $700 extra for essentially the same AVR.

H/K is losing ground feature wise. Unfortunately, today's buyer are more interested in apps, networking ability, fancy GUIs, streaming capabilities and "stuff" like that (I'm not in that group). H/K is behind on those features. Also, H/K's EzSET is not up to par with Audyssey for instance.

cheers

Jay Leno said it best (in reference to some of his cars):

People just don't want to pay for engineering they cannot see.

The same is true for most of today's high end electronics. The mass market just doesn't want to pay for what they don't immediately see when they walk in to a store (uninformed). Harmon stuff is usually very well designed and the compromise for that HK quality comes at the expense of cost (price point).

Last edited by 8086; 12-10-12 at 05:50 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-10-12, 10:23 AM
Senior Shackster

John

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
Since Denon and Marantz merged, their AVR and SSP's are pretty much only superficially different. This has been especially so since Bain Capital purchased D&M Holdings and massively restructured them.

The biggest thing I have noticed since Bain took over is more and more series no longer being made in Japan (now China) and the AVR's pulling a Jenny Craig. For instance, the pre merger $1699 7 Channel Denon AVR-3808 weighed 39.2 pounds whereas the $2499 9 Channel AVR-4520CI weighs 36 pounds.

I do like H/K and am a huge fan of Logic 7. However, as has been pointed out above, they just have not seemed as relevant in the HDMI era.
Cheers,
JJ
I just picked up a HK 3600, that was manufactured in Jan 2012. It has HDMI v1.4a. So it is up to date HDMI.
For streaming I use iTunes on my macbook. And it does have a dock for iPhone/Pad.
When it comes to processing stereo sources into MC, Logic7 has it all over the rest. And the 3600 has full set of pre-outs, which allows me to use my Parasound power amp and also P7 pre.
I wish it had dual sub outs, but I daisy chain my two subs, so not huge problem.
The next choice would be a Marantz, then Denon...I would never buy Onkyo.
post #16 of 17 Old 12-13-12, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
kennypc

Thank you all for the info. The next avr I purchase wont be from either one of of these companies. I will go the separate route from Emotiva
post #17 of 17 Old 12-13-12, 07:47 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
kennypc wrote: View Post
Thank you all for the info. The next avr I purchase wont be from either one of of these companies. I will go the separate route from Emotiva
Hello,
Please let us know your impressions. I am not a huge fan of Emotiva SSP's, but hopefully the latest with TACT RoomEQ will be a different story.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910