Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 137 Old 02-20-13, 09:02 PM
Senior Shackster
Jason

Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Nice review. I'm still happy with the 4311 and couldn't justify the upgrade, but the GUI on the 4520 looks good. I'll wait until the next breakthrough in DAC's, and/or Audyssey before upgrading again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 137 Old 02-21-13, 04:07 PM
Senior Shackster

selden

My System

I have a very minor quibble with the review (not with the receiver!).
Quote:
Then again, if you do not have a computer you probably will not be reading this review.
Quite a few people access the Internet using computers provided in public libraries. Of course, while they can read the review, they also are people who probably could not justify the expense of such a receiver.
post #13 of 137 Old 02-21-13, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Good point... maybe I should change it to, "Then again, if you do not have a computer, there is a possibility that you will not be reading this review."

post #14 of 137 Old 02-23-13, 06:08 AM
Senior Shackster

Yoda

My System

Personally, I think all reviews should be done this way. No marketing , no fluffy words, just straight to the point info.

Excellent!

Also, you have help me make my mind that the 4311 is still a relevant receiver today.

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #15 of 137 Old 02-23-13, 10:56 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Interesting, thank you for putting your thoughts to...computer. This is an exciting read in that I have been using a Denon receiver as a processor for many years, tried and Onkyo for a short while and put the Denon back in. I cannot say I heard a big difference so I think for me it came down to familiarity and ease of use. I have played Denon many for a long long time, like an old shoe, it must just feel comfortable. I have been looking to renew the 4 year old receiver with the newer models but the less expensive models in my range do not have 7.1 in and that for me is a deal breaker. This one seems a bit more than I wanted to spend but I like your thoughts on its ability to drive the speakers un aided by bigger amps....that speaks to me in a big way, talking about cleaning shelf space.

Thanks Again it appears I may have found a new center for my system.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #16 of 137 Old 02-23-13, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Thanks guys... appreciate the kind words.
post #17 of 137 Old 02-23-13, 06:39 PM
Senior Shackster

One thing I'm curious about would be to how the 4520 rates in the value department compared to its more expensive big brother, the Marantz AV8801 separates and the matching amps they sell. Right now it's an expensive high end receiver, but compared to the AV8801, it may deliver 95% of the sonic performance for a lot less.

Just a thought.
post #18 of 137 Old 02-24-13, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I don't think I would think twice about the 4520 over the 8801 plus amps, although it is a very nice looking setup. I am not sure what the 8801 could offer over the 4520 that would nearly begin to justify the extra cost of the unit, much less having to buy separate amps. I obviously have no way to know for sure without hearing and testing, but my best guess would be that I highly doubt there would be any significant difference in sound quality, yet they make them to be bought.
post #19 of 137 Old 02-26-13, 02:57 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Like the 4520 so far. The Sub EQ setup is nice. It shows an onscreen volume meter dbs. and has you level the two subs before it will allow you to EQ them. Nice function. Still confused though as it shows in the menu that they are +11 and I thought that they should be -5 to +5. Could placement of the SUBS be the issue?

Love having both my Denon AVR's networked. Using my tablet or laptop to control them in or out of room.

I did notice the top of the receiver gets warmer than my 2112 used too. But, I increased the air space above the 4520, hopefully compensates.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #20 of 137 Old 02-26-13, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Were your readings right at 75dB when leveling each sub?

I think mine always end up from -1 to +1. I noticed if I leveled them around 70-72dB that the sub levels would be in the mid + range.