Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 137 Old 02-26-13, 03:33 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Im gonna do a white noise test with a independant meter tonight to get them both at 75 db. Then rerun audyssey. Hopefully that will be a little more accurate. I know the sub EQ meter kept bouncing when i was trying to do it that way.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 137 Old 02-26-13, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Yeah... it is somewhat finicky. I evened out my sub response with my parametric EQ (took the major peaks out) and then leveled my subs to 75dB with my mic and REW. Then when I go through Audyssey it doesn't even ask me to level my subs, it checks them and skips to the next step.
post #23 of 137 Old 02-26-13, 10:33 PM
Senior Shackster
Jerry

Sonnie,

I enjoyed reading your review. I have owned the 4520 since the first month of its release, and have nothing but a positive experience so far. I replaced a 4311, which is now powering the system in the master bedroom.

Two features that I think are worth pointing out are the network configuration save capability, and that the 4520 supports the Audyssey Pro kit.

Anyone who currently has an AVR brand other than Denon should be aware of the value of being able to save different configurations. If you are actively involved in measuring the audio performance of your home theater or listening room, and are experimenting with speaker locations, room treatments, etc., being able to save different configurations for comparison is extremely valuable. As far as I know, Denon is the only AVR manufacturer that offers this capability.

And for those who value Audyssey technology, being able to use the Pro kit adds a level of fine-tuning to an already excellent room correction system.

post #24 of 137 Old 02-26-13, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Hi Jerry...

Thank you.

I was not aware of the configuration save capability, I missed that part... and that is good to know.

I am aware of the it's ability to use the Audyssey Pro Kit and mentioned that I did not use it. I suppose I should state that it is available, but I did not use it. I will correct that part. At the time I did not want to spend the $150 to get it licensed until I knew for sure I wanted to keep it. I could now, but the response sounds pretty good, so I figured I would leave it be for now. XT32 is pretty good.
post #25 of 137 Old 02-26-13, 11:53 PM
Senior Shackster
Jerry

I should have mentioned that the configuration load/save functionality is accessed through the AVR's web interface, in case anyone has trouble finding it.
post #26 of 137 Old 02-28-13, 01:06 AM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

With 150wpc, what is the power consumption from the wall sockets on the Denon 4520?

Save the whales?
Naaa... buy local and save your dealer's showroom from permanent extinction!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #27 of 137 Old 03-04-13, 10:57 AM

8086 - If you had all nine amplifiers hooked up and had the volume cranked, the 4520 could draw 9 to 9.5 amps. As far as I know, As most movies rarely have all channels driven for any amount of time you would probably draw considerably less. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
post #28 of 137 Old 03-04-13, 03:05 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

Quote:
tkroeker wrote: View Post
8086 - If you had all nine amplifiers hooked up and had the volume cranked, the 4520 could draw 9 to 9.5 amps. As far as I know, As most movies rarely have all channels driven for any amount of time you would probably draw considerably less. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
You are correct. They rarely run at full power, its more like short peak bursts. I keep a watts-up pro connected to my amp which allows me to monitor and log power usage, both in on and standby modes.

If it's a Class A/B amplifier, its about 50-65% efficient. If the amp was rated at 100 watts (mono). it would draw more than 200w from the outlet at full power. Other factors include power supply efficiency, which can range from roughly 40-85%. If all 9 channels were driven at 100% efficiency, thats only 1350 watts or (11.25 amps). It would be nice to know how much the AVR-4520CI uses so you can know if you need an electrician or not to expand power to your theater with all the other devices plugged in.

Save the whales?
Naaa... buy local and save your dealer's showroom from permanent extinction!

post #29 of 137 Old 03-04-13, 06:22 PM

Ron

My System

I liked what I read in your review and broke out the CC... Mine should be here next week. :-)

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #30 of 137 Old 03-04-13, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I need to see if I can get a commission from Denon huh?