Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 137 Old 03-14-13, 06:20 PM

Ron

My System
Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

I just ordered...
(1) 15ft Slim Series High Speed HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology
(4) 6ft Slim Series High Speed HDMI® Cable w/ RedMere® Technology

I am having them overnighted... Couldn't resist for $5.85 shipping

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 137 Old 03-16-13, 06:04 PM
Shackster

My System

The SBS-02s showed up on Friday and I wasted no time putting them up. They came well boxed and were bigger than I expected.

Unfortunately right out of the box I had to do some surgery. While up on my ladder mounting the front heights the binding post keep turning and I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Turns out the little nut on the inside was loose so I had to open it up to fix it.

I’ve got them mounted flush right now since my mounts didn’t arrive. I grabbed some Omnimount 20s so that I can aim the surrounds at the listening positions better.

Once I got everything mounted I ran Audyssey and listen to some music and watched a few shows. I was very happy with the sound out of the SBS-02s, they seem to blend in nice with everything else I have. I’m pretty sure the Denon 4520 helps with that. Here is what it set.

Here is how everything looks now. The wires will be cleaned up later and speakers will be aimed down more.

I'm very impressed with this amp. The sound is great and it's been very easy to setup. I'm not sure what else you would be looking for in an amp besides a different sound. I did turn it up on some movies and music to 3db or 4db and it sounded fantastic. I actually had to remind tell myself to turn it down since I seemed to be getting use to it. Usually with family home or guests over we are using it at -18db or maybe -10db for a action movie.
post #53 of 137 Old 03-16-13, 06:18 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

Their mounting position reminds me of Yahama's recommended "Front Effect Speakers". I see you have a Denon, why are the bookshelf speakers mounted up front above the mains?

Save the whales?
Naaa... buy local and save your dealer's showroom from permanent extinction!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #54 of 137 Old 03-16-13, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

It's what I had many years ago... front high and wide in the corners. Yamaha had it figured out and it sounded so much better than just two speakers. It does not surprise me to see it coming back in the newer receivers, especially now since they have much better DSP's to work with.
post #55 of 137 Old 03-16-13, 07:32 PM
Shackster

My System
Quote:
8086 wrote: View Post
Their mounting position reminds me of Yahama's recommended "Front Effect Speakers". I see you have a Denon, why are the bookshelf speakers mounted up front above the mains?
The 4520 has an option for front height or front wide channels in addition to your standard 7.1 using new processing technology. Since its got 9 amps in it I felt like trying it out. I feel like it raises the soundstage although the voices are still coming from lower center. Now all we need is some actual discrete 9.1 movies to justify it. Still, I like it, I had fun doing it, the speakers only cost me $150 and most people are suitable impressed with 5 speakers up front. Lets face it, 90% of the population has no idea what's going on your AV rack.
post #56 of 137 Old 03-16-13, 09:59 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System
Sub Icon Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
kingpin748 wrote: View Post
The 4520 has an option for front height or front wide channels in addition to your standard 7.1 using new processing technology. Since its got 9 amps in it I felt like trying it out. I feel like it raises the soundstage although the voices are still coming from lower center. Now all we need is some actual discrete 9.1 movies to justify it. Still, I like it, I had fun doing it, the speakers only cost me $150 and most people are suitable impressed with 5 speakers up front. Lets face it, 90% of the population has no idea what's going on your AV rack.

You need a top center speaker, Bi-wire two 8ohm centers (w/banana plugs) in Parallel for a 4ohm load.

All of those speakers you have remind me of that prototype format they were testing with NHK in japan which involved something like 40 speakers for surround, both high and low off the ground. I don't remember what they were calling it. And no its not Dolby Atmos.

Save the whales?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #57 of 137 Old 03-16-13, 10:09 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Eventually I am going to add front height to my room, I already added front wide towers and it very noticeably filled in the front stage nicely, wrapping it around to the sides. When I add front heights what speakers should I amp, as the 4520 can do 9.2 but a amp is needed if going 11.2. And what amp should I get?

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
post #58 of 137 Old 03-16-13, 10:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

You could just run two 8ohm speakers off the same mono amp channel, your receiver should be able to handle a 4Ω speaker load.

OR

Use the receiver in combination with an Emotiva XPA3 connected to the pre-outs or a dedicated Denon amp to match the sound signature of your receiver.

Quote:
Common Connection options:
  • 5.1 Main Zone all channels bi-amplified
  • 5.1 Main Zone all channels bridged for up to 4x power to each channel
  • 5.1 Main Zone, Zone 2 and Zone 3 stereo, with Zone 4 mono
  • 7.1 Main Zone, Zone 2 stereo and Zone 3 mono
  • 7.1 Main Zone with Front left, right and center speakers bi-amplified
  • 7.1 Main Zone with Front speakers bridged and Zone 2 mono
  • 9.1 Main Zone and Zone 2 Mono

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/a...o-a1hdci-setup

Save the whales?

Last edited by 8086; 03-16-13 at 10:22 PM.
post #59 of 137 Old 03-17-13, 04:08 AM

Ron

My System

I just picked up a pair of DSM tf700 speakers for $50... I am going to use them for height speakers above my Paradigm 80s. I know they should be floor mounted but the price was right and they are very shallow speakers. I will see how they work out.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #60 of 137 Old 03-17-13, 11:43 PM
Shackster

My System
Quote:
You need a top center speaker, Bi-wire two 8ohm centers (w/banana plugs) in Parallel for a 4ohm load.

I read somewhere that you should do front wide first, that it makes the biggest difference but my space just wouldn't allow it. The wides would be right in the middle of the room just waiting for my kids to knock over.

What would be great is a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s with a CC-690 for the FL, FR, and CC, then move the Monitor 9s to the FWL and FWR. Since I'm dreaming I could pick up that Emotiva XPA3 and use it to run the Studios and put my tiny CC-190 as a front height center running in parallel with the CC-690.

I wonder how that would sound running the same channel into 2 CC at the top and bottom of the screen... Would they blend well or would it be a mess. Considering how different the two centres are it might be a gong show. I wonder what Audyssey would do with that setup? Probably explode.

Quote:
You could just run two 8ohm speakers off the same mono amp channel, your receiver should be able to handle a 4Ω speaker load.

OR

Use the receiver in combination with an Emotiva XPA3 connected to the pre-outs or a dedicated Denon amp to match the sound signature of your receiver.
That Denon amp is work of art. Love the retro mechanical gauges. I wonder if it's any good? It weighs 135lbs! I wonder how much my kidney is worth? I need those Studio 100s and that amp.

Found this guys setup:
Attached Thumbnails
Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread-image-375327478.jpg  

Last edited by kingpin748; 03-18-13 at 12:03 AM.