Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 137 Old 03-17-13, 11:54 PM
Senior Shackster
 
8086's Avatar
Guns
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 876
My System
Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
kingpin748 wrote: View Post
I read somewhere that you should do front wide first, that it makes the biggest difference but my space just wouldn't allow it. The wides would be right in the middle of the room just waiting for my kids to knock over.

What would be great is a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s with a CC-690 for the FL, FR, and CC, then move the Monitor 9s to the FWL and FWR. Since I'm dreaming I could pick up that Emotiva XPA3 and use it to run the Studios and put my tiny CC-190 as a front height center running in parallel with the CC-690.

I wonder how that would sound running the same channel into 2 CC at the top and bottom of the screen... Would they blend well or would it be a mess. Considering how different the two centres are it might be a gong show. I wonder what Audyssey would do with that setup? Probably explode.



That Denon amp is work of art. Love the retro mechanical gauges. I wonder if it's any good? It weighs 135lbs! I wonder how much my kidney is worth? I need those Studio 100s and that amp.
Word on the street is that is a worthy contender for its price class and it would be best paired with Signature S8 .

Save the whales?
Naaa... buy local and save your dealer's showroom from permanent extinction!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
8086 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 137 Old 03-18-13, 12:57 AM
 
ellisr63's Avatar
Ron
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,769
My System
Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
kingpin748 wrote: View Post
I read somewhere that you should do front wide first, that it makes the biggest difference but my space just wouldn't allow it. The wides would be right in the middle of the room just waiting for my kids to knock over.

What would be great is a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s with a CC-690 for the FL, FR, and CC, then move the Monitor 9s to the FWL and FWR. Since I'm dreaming I could pick up that Emotiva XPA3 and use it to run the Studios and put my tiny CC-190 as a front height center running in parallel with the CC-690.

I wonder how that would sound running the same channel into 2 CC at the top and bottom of the screen... Would they blend well or would it be a mess. Considering how different the two centres are it might be a gong show. I wonder what Audyssey would do with that setup? Probably explode.



That Denon amp is work of art. Love the retro mechanical gauges. I wonder if it's any good? It weighs 135lbs! I wonder how much my kidney is worth? I need those Studio 100s and that amp.

Found this guys setup:
I ran 2 center speakers years ago (one above and one below the screen) and I loved the way it sounded... Of course they were identical centers though.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
ellisr63 is offline  
post #63 of 137 Old 03-18-13, 01:26 AM
Shackster
 
kingpin748's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 75
My System
Someone tell me this is a bad idea. I could get another CC-190 for pretty cheap. If I dropped the screen down a few inches the 2nd CC would probably fit above it and I wouldn't even have to run a new wire to the amp, just one behind the screen. Would it mess with the amp running 4ohms for the CC and 8ohms everywhere else? I'm trying to think about why this wouldn't work or sound bad but I'm not coming up with anything. Then again I don't really know that much to begin with.
kingpin748 is offline  
 
post #64 of 137 Old 03-18-13, 10:35 AM
 
ellisr63's Avatar
Ron
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,769
My System
Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
kingpin748 wrote: View Post
Someone tell me this is a bad idea. I could get another CC-190 for pretty cheap. If I dropped the screen down a few inches the 2nd CC would probably fit above it and I wouldn't even have to run a new wire to the amp, just one behind the screen. Would it mess with the amp running 4ohms for the CC and 8ohms everywhere else? I'm trying to think about why this wouldn't work or sound bad but I'm not coming up with anything. Then again I don't really know that much to begin with.
I never had a problem when I did it in the past... When you are playing music across all your speakers the impedance varies by the load and frequency afaik. Since the 4520 will handle a 4 ohm load you should be ok.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
ellisr63 is offline  
post #65 of 137 Old 03-20-13, 11:28 AM
 
ellisr63's Avatar
Ron
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,769
My System
Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Question:

I have a WDTV arriving today and was wondering... Do I hook it up to the Media Server input? I was looking at the manual and it didn't say it was compatible with mkv files. The WDTV is compatible with mkv files... Will this effect the Media Server input? Since I have not used it I was thinking maybe there is something special about the Media Server input compared to the other inputs... ie maybe it displays a menu or something.


I also moved from 5.1 to 7.1 yesterday. :-) I decided to take the Paradigm rear speakers and move them up to the side surrounds and take my DCM tf700 speakers (best $50 I have spent in a long time) and put them in the rear corners of the room. All I can say is I have never heard it sound so good! I am going to take some outdoor speakers that I have laying around and make them my height channels until I can afford some Studio 20s for the heights and width channels.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
ellisr63 is offline  
post #66 of 137 Old 03-20-13, 11:32 AM
Elite Shackster
 
tonyvdb's Avatar
Tony
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Can
Posts: 15,054
My System
Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

No, just connect it using the HDMI output. The WDTV has its own built in menu. I have two of these running in my house and they work great.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

tonyvdb is offline  
post #67 of 137 Old 03-20-13, 11:34 AM
Elite Shackster
 
tonyvdb's Avatar
Tony
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Can
Posts: 15,054
My System
Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
......my DCM tf700 speakers (best $50 I have spent in a long time) and put them in the rear corners of the room. All I can say is I have never heard it sound so good!
Ideally you want those to be placed about 4ft apart on the rear wall not in the corners.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

tonyvdb is offline  
post #68 of 137 Old 03-20-13, 11:47 AM
 
ellisr63's Avatar
Ron
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,769
My System
Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Ideally you want those to be placed about 4ft apart on the rear wall not in the corners.
I know but it is in our living room and our seating is against the walls... When I get to building the theater in the garage I will have more room and will do the placement correctly. Currently they are in the location my Dipoles were in. It sounds awesome. I don't know what part of the changes did it but I def like the sound.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
ellisr63 is offline  
post #69 of 137 Old 03-20-13, 11:49 AM
 
ellisr63's Avatar
Ron
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In the Home Theater
Posts: 5,769
My System
Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
No, just connect it using the HDMI output. The WDTV has its own built in menu. I have two of these running in my house and they work great.
Thanks, I have heard nothing but good about them... I can't wait to get them installed. Is the Media Server input a special one or is it the same as all the other HDMI inputs?

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
ellisr63 is offline  
post #70 of 137 Old 03-20-13, 12:25 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tonyvdb's Avatar
Tony
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Can
Posts: 15,054
My System
Re: Denon AVR-4520CI Receiver Review Discussion Thread

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Thanks, I have heard nothing but good about them... I can't wait to get them installed. Is the Media Server input a special one or is it the same as all the other HDMI inputs?
If your asking the input on the WDTV unit? its either Wi-Fi network connection or cat5e to the PC or you can just connect a 1 or 2 TB USB hard drive to it with all the media you have on it.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

tonyvdb is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
avr4520ci , denon , discussion , receiver , review , thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome